Thread: Mill at Cades Cove

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Mill at Cades Cove

Attached Images Attached Images

I shot this image in a recent trip to the Smoky's. I used Nik's HDR Express Pro, tone mapping for single image. Can't remember which preset. I liked the processing but didn't care for the colors of the tone mapping so I converted to black and white. Hope you like it. Comments, please.......
    Last edited by Jay Sheinfield; 11-10-2012 at 08:35 AM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Haven't seen the color version, but it would be hard pressed to match or top this. I'm not usually a fan of light vignettes (personal taste thing), but this one seems to work for me. Very nice work indeed. Sorry for my absence lately, but Hurricane Sandy has made things a bit hectic here.
    Last edited by Dave Woeller; 11-10-2012 at 09:20 AM. Reason: additional thought

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely composition. There are many wonderful details--leaves, logs, boards--that cause me to stop and look closer. The various diagonals and textures and patterns are also captivating. It looks good in B&W. I wonder what it looks like without the white vignette, which I feel detracts from the many strong elements of the image.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Woeller View Post
    Haven't seen the color version, but it would be hard pressed to match or top this. I'm not usually a fan of light vignettes (personal taste thing), but this one seems to work for me. Very nice work indeed. Sorry for my absence lately, but Hurricane Sandy has made things a bit hectic here.
    Thanks Dave, The vignette was a toss up for me, as it gave it an "old photo" appearance. I hope you are getting back normal After Sandy.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anita Bower View Post
    Lovely composition. There are many wonderful details--leaves, logs, boards--that cause me to stop and look closer. The various diagonals and textures and patterns are also captivating. It looks good in B&W. I wonder what it looks like without the white vignette, which I feel detracts from the many strong elements of the image.
    Here it is straight black and white no vignette..........as I mentioned to Dave, I thought the vignette gave it an "old Photo" look, but I'm not locked into it............
    Last edited by Jay Sheinfield; 11-10-2012 at 11:42 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it both ways. Guess it depends on your purpose. Im thinking that maybe with the vignette I'd try more of a sepia tone if I wanted an "old" look. Like the way the two bridges work together to give definition. I'll be in Cades Cove next May....look forward to seeing this in real life.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Having seen both versions, I prefer the one without the vignette, however, I wonder what a narrower white vignette would look like, one that allowed more of the photo to be clear. Just an idea.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like the subject and the way you set up the shot. And I can understand why you want it to look like an old faded photo. When I looked at the original post, I had mixed feelings because the foreground isn't all that different in tone from the background, so it didn't stand out. In the second version, though, the foreground definitely gets my attention, and the whole image is beautiful. I tried something in hopes of keeping some of the old photo look while emphasizing the foreground by putting the second one over the first, blending it with Lighter Color, and masking off the background and much of the foliage on the left side with a soft brush. While I don't like it as well as the re-post, it does retain some of the old photo look.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like the composition! I'll have to remember that angle next time I go to the Cove! We were there the end of Oct but it was raining so hard we exited at Sparks Lane and didn't make the loop. As to the versions, I like both and also think Dennis' version works well but I would also like to see a little sepia tone with the vignette version, not too dark/dense.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Howle View Post
    I really like the composition! I'll have to remember that angle next time I go to the Cove! We were there the end of Oct but it was raining so hard we exited at Sparks Lane and didn't make the loop. As to the versions, I like both and also think Dennis' version works well but I would also like to see a little sepia tone with the vignette version, not too dark/dense.
    I was there October 23 through last Wednesday. We had four beautiful days after the rain........but the second bout of rain did us in. Thanks for the feedback..I'm working on a composite of the ideas here.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is lovely Jay. I like the OP. I would also love to see it with just a tiny bit of sepia added - just to see if that enhances it or not.

Beautiful composition.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jay beauty is in the eye of the beholder, the base image is rockin, everyone's eye sees something different and a vision of that base image. I like em all...did I mention I like the image
    Remember its what you like that counts. Dennis, Anita and Maureen make good points....well done

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jay, I like them all! My favorite is probably the original image but since that was not your intent I like your version just as much. I would like to see the OP with a hint of sepia as others suggested.
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly" - The Little Prince

http://tuscawillaphotographycherylslechta.zenfolio.com/

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Sheinfield View Post
    I was there October 23 through last Wednesday. We had four beautiful days after the rain........but the second bout of rain did us in. Thanks for the feedback..I'm working on a composite of the ideas here.
    We got there on the 27th and shot in the rain/snow until Wednesday when the sun came out, and left Thursday Nov 1. I posted one of my favorite landscape shots in the Landscape forum this afternoon.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's a lovely shot, Judy. I thought about getting some snow cap images but was so happy with the nice weather, I just vegged out. That nice weather lasted about 4 days.......... Glorious!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for kind comments and feedback. Paul, you are right about so many different views of the same image. I like both the OP and the original for different reasons. I have posted a sepia version of the OP with a slightly reduced vignette. Thanks again.............

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think the sepia works very well!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love it!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks great, Jay.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice image, Jay, whatever way you look at it! After careful consideration, I think I like the sepia version the best, but all the versions are good. I especially love all the fine detail.
    God Bless
    Christopher, Old Photo Master and Master Texturizer

Old Memories Photography

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The sepia version is perfect, I love it!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jay!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Sheinfield View Post
    It's a lovely shot, Judy. I thought about getting some snow cap images but was so happy with the nice weather, I just vegged out. That nice weather lasted about 4 days.......... Glorious!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jay, I am late to the party... absolutely wonderful! Nothing much I can add other than admire the excellent composition. My favorite is the final sepia version.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really like this one. Nice processing. Clean feel too it. I might like a bit of warm tone (not sepia, that always seems muddy to me and too brown). Just a bit of warming? Like it as it is though.