Thread: Great Blue Heron Landing with nesting matierial

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Great Blue Heron Landing with nesting matierial

Attached Images Attached Images

This is one of a series of photos taken as a male GBH flew into the Venice Rookery with nesting material in January. In the past I probably would have cropped this one tightly around the bird. But from helpful comments received on this site, I decided to crop this one loosely. However, I wanted to maintain the 2x3 aspect.

Canon 50D, ISO 800, 300 mm f/4L IS, f/13 at 1/1000, no flash. PP in LR 4.2, clarity, slight sharpening with 50% masking , moderate NR. Slight crop on right and bottom.

C/C welcome as always.

Last edited by Peter Kes; 11-02-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dennis, leaving the foliage in was a good idea, as we have sense of where the heron is looking to perch. Placement in the frame works well, and good to see his nesting material. I would try and sharpen the heron a little more. Did you run NR on the whole image?

3. Thanks Dennis Zaebst thanked for this post
    Forum Participant Joe Senzatimore's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great composition make this a fine image. Lots of room for the Heron to fly into and shows where it is landing and what it is doing. A fine story telling image. Just need to sharpen the Heron a bit , as already mentioned.

5. Thanks Dennis Zaebst thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dennis:

Agree with Stuart and Joe. Sharpen him a bit more, and I might try a slight upward midtone curve adjustment to give it a bit more pop.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

7. Thanks Dennis Zaebst thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dennis, crop is excellent. placement of subject is also nice.

image looks a bit soft..probably due to NR. I might start over again, not do any NR and check the resulting IQ. I think you could have opened up the aperture a bit more and shot this at a lower ISO.

9. Thanks Dennis Zaebst thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Reppsted Photo

Thanks very much for the comments on the original. I have tried additional sharpening and brightened the midtones a bit. Is this closer? I suspect it will still look a tiny bit soft. Kaustubh, you are right that I should have shot this at a wider aperture and a lower ISO. I am going down to SW Florida this January, and will have my new (used) 1D Mark IV with me. Hopefully, with the education I am getting here, and with better equipment, I will be able to get sharper shots. Thank you everyone!
    Last edited by Dennis Zaebst; 11-02-2012 at 05:06 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I also like the bird placement but now the sky looks washed out. The bird seems to be soft to my eye. I do like that the bird has a place to land and the nestling material on beak makes for a good image. Keep it up!

12. Thanks Dennis Zaebst thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Second repost

Well, this has certainly been a PP education. This time I applied sharpening and mid-tone correction only to the heron. I think this is better, and the bird should look sharper but at the expense of some noise. What do you think? (or should I just give up on this one?)