Thread: Downy Woodpecker

Forum Participant Joe Senzatimore's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Downy Woodpecker

Attached Images Attached Images

Out at Morton WR with Gen Benjamin yesterday. This place generaly provides many photo opps , but due to 2 VERY RUDE photographers , the birds were not co-operative. These 2 Boobs kept walking through our set ups and then set up a feeder 30 feet away from us. Too many choices for the birds. Hope I get a chance to run into these 2 again. Things will be different.

800 ISO f8 at 1/60th
    Fill on Balance at minus 1
    600 f4 on D3s with 1.4TC

Last edited by Peter Kes; 10-27-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the pose, sharpness, exposure and BG. I tried a version rotated CCW and liked the result but fine as presented. Well done Joe.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Joe:

Excellent flash use, well exposed, nice head angle. I rather like the slightly angled perch, a bit more dynamic than vertical.

I would tend to crop a smidge off the right, add a bit to the left.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice portrait. The flashwork is excellent, though I find the catchlight just a wee bit startling.
    I'm not in agreement with the previously suggested crop idea. It's pretty nice as presented, and if
    any crop rework, I would think taking some off the left and adding more space on the right would
    be reasonable, due to the size and prominence of the perch in the frame already...
    Boobs or no boobs, you achieved some great sharpness here at 1/60, though the flash surely helped,
    still excellent long lens technique sir.

Forum Participant Joe Senzatimore's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

To the moderators of this forum , please remove the B&H and Nikon advertising from my post. I was never asked , nor did I grant permission to anyone to make it seem as if I am endorsing these vendors. I receive no compensation from them , so I choose not to endorse them. PLEASE REMOVE IT!!!!!! When I joined BPN , in the very beginning of it's existance , this was never mentioned , and I am not happy about this now. I don't think BPN has the right to use my name as an endorsment without asking and getting my approval first.

Thanks
    Last edited by Joe Senzatimore; 10-27-2012 at 11:58 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Zierman View Post
    Very nice portrait. The flashwork is excellent, though I find the catchlight just a wee bit startling.
    I'm not in agreement with the previously suggested crop idea. It's pretty nice as presented, and if
    any crop rework, I would think taking some off the left and adding more space on the right would
    be reasonable, due to the size and prominence of the perch in the frame already...
    Boobs or no boobs, you achieved some great sharpness here at 1/60, though the flash surely helped,
    still excellent long lens technique sir.
    Shawn: you are quite right, my intent was crop from the left, add to the right, to aim for the classic 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 woodpecker crop. Brain fade on my part.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent pose, details and background, Joe. I would consider to have less tree and more canvas on the right, if you have it.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I also like the crop and the angle in the frame, Maybe a bit off the left side.
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A lovely pose of this woodpecker Joe with just the perfect degree of head-turn. I to would like to see a little less of the tree as it appears a too dominant in the composition.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice composition and excellent expsoure control and sharpness, Joe.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really nice detailed view of male. Your photo clearly shows the tail spots that distinguish it from a Hairy. Agree with the "less tree" crowd.