Thread: Striking the Balance of Portability, Performance and Shooting Preference, the New Nikon 1 V2 Provides Users with New Ways to be Creative and Expressive

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Striking the Balance of Portability, Performance and Shooting Preference, the New Nikon 1 V2 Provides Users with New Ways to be Creative and Expressive

Nikon Continues to Enhance the Powerful Nikon 1 System with the Addition of Photographer-Friendly Features, Connectivity and Accessories MELVILLE, N.Y. (October 24, 2012) - Today, Nikon Inc. announced the new 14.2-megapixel Nikon 1 V2, the latest addition to the revolutionary Nikon 1 Advanced Camera with Interchangeable Lens System. Designed for the creative consumer who seeks stunning…

More...

Sinuhe Hahn

It could be interesting, as unlike the V1, it will permit full use of the advanced hybrid AF in continuous mode when used in combination with the FT1 adapter and AFS lenses.
    With its 2.7x "crop factor" is can be of interest to casual birders, or for those on the road, as it converts a 70-200 f2.8 AFS into a 189-540mm f2.8 lens.
    The V1 was severely crippled in this regard, as it only offered a single AF point and no continuous focus.
    On the other hand, I'm unsure of how well it will handle high ISO - the V1 is pretty lousy above ISO 400.
    The only real peeve, apart from the size and price, is why Nikon had to start using a another new battery!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sinuhe Hahn View Post
    It could be interesting, as unlike the V1, it will permit full use of the advanced hybrid AF in continuous mode when used in combination with the FT1 adapter and AFS lenses.
    With its 2.7x "crop factor" is can be of interest to casual birders, or for those on the road, as it converts a 70-200 f2.8 AFS into a 189-540mm f2.8 lens.
    The V1 was severely crippled in this regard, as it only offered a single AF point and no continuous focus.
    On the other hand, I'm unsure of how well it will handle high ISO - the V1 is pretty lousy above ISO 400.
    The only real peeve, apart from the size and price, is why Nikon had to start using a another new battery!
    Of course the crop factor of 2.7 only determines the equivalent field of view; it is not a focal length multiplier. What is important here in focal-length limited situations is pixels on subject. The V2 has 2.9 micron sensor sites so in comparison say to the Nikon D800 with 4.9 micron sensor sites, using the V2 is like having a 1.7x (4.9 ÷ 2.9) teleconverter on all the time, all other things being equal. Compared to the D4 the teleconverter would be 2.5x.

Sinuhe Hahn

Quote Originally Posted by John Chardine View Post
    Of course the crop factor of 2.7 only determines the equivalent field of view; it is not a focal length multiplier. What is important here in focal-length limited situations is pixels on subject. The V2 has 2.9 micron sensor sites so in comparison say to the Nikon D800 with 4.9 micron sensor sites, using the V2 is like having a 1.7x (4.9 ÷ 2.9) teleconverter on all the time, all other things being equal. Compared to the D4 the teleconverter would be 2.5x.

John,

I'm well aware of this issue - That's why crop factor is stated in " ".

Best, S:)

Sinuhe Hahn

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kes View Post
    groetnis,
    interesting experiences. I have been looking at the V1, but will now wait for this one. I saw Randy Stout use the V1 earlier this year with a 600mm and the results were quite impressive.
    Groetnis, Peter

I would also rather wait for the V2, as the AF on the V1 is severely limited with the FT1 adapter.
    We have a V1, so if you have switched to Nikon, you can give it a test drive.

Sinuhe

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John,

I'm well aware of this issue - That's why crop factor is stated in " ".

Best, S:)
    Sorry to appear to make assumptions but the statement:

With its 2.7x "crop factor" is can be of interest to casual birders, or for those on the road, as it converts a 70-200 f2.8 AFS into a 189-540mm f2.8 lens
    is misleading. A crop factor of 2.7 does not turn a 70-200mm lens into a 189-540mm lens, at least in any way that would be useful to a "casual birder".