Thread: JPG Processing

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default JPG Processing

Yes thats right jpg,,,Ihave a nikon D7000 and with the small buffer i shoot jpg sometimes....How much processing can i really get away with,,sharpeng,,W.B,RGB, ,noise in photoshop..or do some of you have a picture style setting that your happy with ..Thankyou

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Brian, I find the JPGs from the D7000 of sufficient quality to do any of the processing you mention. I sometimes forget to set my settings back to JPG+RAW and had no trouble editing the JPGs afterwards. My in camera JPG settings are still in the factory default. Very occasionally, I think the camera did a better job with the JPG than I did with the RAW processing.
    Hope this helps.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You might get a tad more leeway if you are using Lightroom or a similar nondestructive software. Since the actual image is never altered or re-saved there are none of the associated issues with degradation.

Lifetime Member Michael Gerald-Yamasaki's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brian simpson View Post
    Yes thats right jpg,,,Ihave a nikon D7000 and with the small buffer i shoot jpg sometimes....How much processing can i really get away with,,sharpeng,,W.B,RGB, ,noise in photoshop..or do some of you have a picture style setting that your happy with ..Thankyou
    Brian,

Greetings. How much processing a jpeg will tolerate without undesirable artifacts is partially dependant on the shot. One problem that can appear is posterization in flat toned areas with pretty much any tonal adjustment (highly dependant on the shot)... the problematic adjustments would include levels/curves, nr, sharpening, wb... It also depends on what the desired output is (screen, print, quality). Picture style anything other than Neutral counts as a tonal adjustment.

ymmv

Cheers,

-Michael-

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just wanted to thank everyone for there help.,,Jerry, yes i find the camera does a better job than processing than me sometimes,,lol.. Declan ,, I use photoshop for all adjustments thankyou...Micheal.Hi , I find if i shoot in faithfull i will even need more processing to get the look i want? Thanks everyone,,for your help,,