Thread: Itsy Bitsy Spider II

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David, Exposure looks pretty good but the spiders head looks as if it is in the shadow of its body. You could have selectively lightened that area. I like your rule of thirds placement of the subject. The image, however, does not work for me at all; I think that you took the wrong lens out of your bag. Working so wide brought in all the vegetation as well as the sky; both detract. Before I continue let me know if you had any longer lenses to choose from.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

3. Thanks David N Smith thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Arthur, thanks for your response. Critique like this is what I am looking for, things I could do to make my photos stand out.
    I do have a longer lens, a Tamron SP 70-300, in fact I was only at 25mm on my Sigma 17-70 so I could have zoomed out more with it. The one problem I had was this was in my wife's rose bushes so I had trouble getting in position to compose this shot, if it had not been for the articulating screen on my 60D I am not sure I could gotten this as good as I did.
    Again thanks for the critique and I will gladly accept any critique you have to offer.

David

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the additional info David. My pleasure. As a bird photographer who uses long lenses and owns the 180 macro my immediate reaction here was: use your longest focal length to narrow the field of view and work wide open to soften up the BKGR vegetation while eliminating the sky :)
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie,
    I will definetely keep your ideas in mind for future captures. I feel I have a pretty good handle on using my camera but my problem is with composition which I feel is what you were telling me with your critique.

David

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You are correct sir!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

It is a great looking spider and well worth the effort to try another approach. In your wife's flower bed makes it nice and handy as well.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for your comments Dave. Nice and handy yes, cooperative on the part of the spider not as easy.

David