Thread: Breezebrowser underexposure

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Breezebrowser underexposure

Hello
    I've been noticing that when I view my photos on the rear of the camera, and then the RAWs in Breezebrowser, they have a certain exposure. As soon as move to convert those RAWs in Breezebrowser, the images all seem darker. Mostly I end up having to up the exposure by at least 0.3 or 0.4 in order to get them back to where I think they look good.
    Any thoughts? I'm wondering if it's a difference between my camera screen and pc monitor or something like that.
    Rgds
    Jonathan

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The image displayed on the camera's LCD and the RAW preview in Breezebrowser come from the embedded jpeg which will be affected by all of your "Picture Style" settings like contrast, saturation, sharpness, etc.

Most, if not all, third party RAW converters (including Breezebrowser and Adobe) do not automatically include the effects of the Picture Style settings in their default RAW conversions. So unless you explicitly apply equivalent settings using the sliders in your RAW converter, the initial RAW conversion can look quite different from the embedded jpeg. My guess is that you are seeing a lack of contrast compared to the jpeg which makes the image look duller and you may be misconstruing this as underexposure.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike
    I'm not sure that's it - have a look at this screenshot from my PC. You can see that the histogram is different between the raw as viewed prior to conversion, and then when you would go to convert it. Not a bird pic, sorry. I live in London and this fresh off the camera from the Olympics this evening!
    Basically the bigger image in the background is what I initially view in Breezebrowser when I look at my RAW files for the first time. It's what I believe I took. The smaller image inset in the "convert" box with the histogram directly below is how the image looks if I convert it at zero comp.
    What am I missing?

Thanks
    Jonathan

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am a Mac user so I do not use Breezebrowser and hopefully someone with some direct BB experience will chime in with their thoughts.
    However, what you have shown here does not seem inconsistent with my theory.

The "bigger image" is simply a display of the jpeg file which is generated in-camera using all of your jpeg settings, including Picture Style and is then embedded in the RAW file.

The image in the "convert" box is Breezebrowser's rendering of the RAW file using the default conversion settings which do NOT take your Picture Style settings into account.

Try doing 2 RAW captures : one with all of your custom picture style sliders on the camera (sharpness, contrast, saturation, and tone) set to the highest value and then another with all of the sliders set to the lowest value. The images will look drastically different from each on the camera LCD (which is a display of the embedded jpeg). They should still be drastically different in the initial Breezebrowser preview (which is also a display of the embedded jpeg). But my theory says that if you do a BB RAW conversion of these two RAW files taking all of the "as shot" defaults, the resulting images will be identical. That is the behavior I see between my PhotoMechanic previews (embedded jpegs) and my ACR conversions. BB may be different but I think you will find that the 2 images look much more similar after conversion than they do when comparing the two embedded jpegs.

Note that Canon's DPP RAW converter will recognize the differences in the Picture Style settings and these will be reflected in the default RAW conversions done with that software.

Of course, what you are seeing could be totally unrelated to Picture Styles but it seems the most obvious explanation to me.
    I'd love to hear other theories and/or explanations from experienced BB users.

Have fun at the Olympics ... I'm sure many of us are quite envious of your experience!

Robert Amoruso

Jonathan,

I have on my desktop an image open in BBPro and both appear to be the same - not rendering like your image shows.

In looking at the BB Pro Exposure Comp box, I see that the PROFILE setting in Output Settings says something about being disabled. In mine it is set for Adobe RGB, same as I recorded in camera.

Other then that I can see nothing amiss.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for your input Robert. I tried altering that in the preferences but it made no difference, at least not with that Hockey RAW. I'll try it with a fresh photo perhaps.
    Are there any settings within the Mk4 that I may have inadvertently set that would cause the jpeg preview to be much brighter-toned that the actual RAW file recorded?
    I actually use sRGB in camera as I don't print photos.
    Thanks
    Jonathan

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I still cannot get it to perform properly. Interestingly RAW files from the 5D3 do not have this "underexposure" effect when converting in BBPro. Even more interestingly, if I convert a 1D4 RAW in Canon's own DPP, there is no problem. So I can't say that it's the software or the camera!!