Thread: Oregon Seascape

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Oregon Seascape

Attached Images Attached Images

A 600mm landscape taken while birding.
    The homes across the bay are probably 2 miles away.

1/800, f8, iso250, 600mm (300 f2.8 w/ 2x), handheld, Nikon D800

DSC_1659bp.jpg
    Dan Kearl

Robert Amoruso

Dan,

I looked at this a while and do not believe this works as a Landscape image in a number of ways.

Firstly, the image is mostly about the seals and the encroachment of development on their habitat. Given that it works well as a statement on their plight.

Secondly, as a landscape, I feel the homes loom too large in the scene and diminish its impact overall. Perhaps if they were more OOF I would feel differently.

Thirdly, I feel landscape is taking a back-seat compared to the largeness of the seals and more importantly the impact of the homes doesn't work for me.

I like the balance the gulls provide in the image. Large enough to notice by small enough not to distract.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Robert for your honest opinion.
    I thought it captured a mood, or did for me, but I agree it is mostly about the seals, although
    there are a lot of seals on the Oregon coast, so I was not that interested in the seals, themselves.
    I thought the juxtaposition of the wildlife with the beach development had some interest, but I
    respect your opinion. I actually took an f20 shot with the birding lens and got the homes in focus but
    didn't like it very much at all, so I went with this one.
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dan - I have to concur with Robert here on all counts
    I do find it very interesting that these seals roam so close to where the homes are being built...are they primarily holiday/weekend homes?
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I rather thought the large looking homes worked to indicate well the close bond between natural and man made, as Dan says, it has a mood/feeling .....and a story to stimulate the mind. Agree it is not really a landscape image, but for what it is I feel it works well. I guess it all comes down to what rocks ones own boat, but this kind of photography appeals to my tastes.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Actually the homes are about a mile across the bay from the Seals.
    The 600mm lens distorts the distance, which is why I took it.
    The homes are probably vacation homes, although the location is a town, Lincoln City, pop 4000, a fishing and tourist town on
    the Oregon Coast.
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Might better fit in the wildlife category but otherwise I like this a lot. Great soft light. The houses in the background are great in my opinion. I like the composition in this shot.

Markus

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with Robert re. this image. Since I live in a land locked state, I find the seals & gulls much more interesting than McMansions. Frankly, seeing the McMansions in the BG irks me. I might try a pano crop to eliminate the houses.
    Andrew