Thread: Soft Pink Rose

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Soft Pink Rose

Attached Images Attached Images

This rose is in our yard. I made the image very late in the twilight to get soft light.

1D4 with 100mm F2.8 Macro. Evaluative metering at ISO 1600 f 5.6 1/40 sec on tripod.

Thanks for looking. Comments most welcome.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely colours on the rose, not too sure about the choice of aperture, I think I would have gone very wide or narrow and then looked at what was most pleasing to the eye. I find taking pictures of flowers like roses a particularly difficult task. The greens in the background appear to have a blue cast about them.

3. Thanks Ed Cordes thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ed. This is a beautiful rose and the soft light worked well for you. Very nice sharpness and detail within your DOF. I like your comp with the main bloom off-center to the right and tilting slightly toward the left - I would suggest tweaking it a bit, if you have the room, by adding a little space at the top and just a bit at the bottom so that the petal on the OOF flower is not touching the bottom edge of the frame. It's a matter of taste, but you might try warming up the color balance a little to remove the blueish caste that Jonathan notes above. Overall this is very well done and a couple minor tweaks would make it even stronger!

5. Thanks Ed Cordes thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys for the input and advice.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You achieve the soft look you were after--good job. Beautiful rose! The clean bg provides a nice contrast. I don't mind the bluish cast to the bg. In a recent exhibit of Van Gogh paintings I notice that he often used blue or turquoise as a bg for his flower portraits. I might soften or lighten or something that one petal coming down in the lower center--I find the petal distracts me from the main rose. Nicely done.

8. Thanks Ed Cordes thanked for this post