• Bird Photography - a look back

If you are like me, you have looked at the earlier work of Arthur Morris and marveled at what amazing results he was able to achieve - using film! No chimping, no making adjustments based on instant feedback, no tiny cards that hold hundreds of images. Just pure skill, experience, and as many rolls of film as he could carry. We take our modern computer-driven camera bodies and image-stabilized super-telephoto lenses for granted today, and who among us has not wished for better autofocus, a lighter tripod, or a 5-5000mm lens with prime image quality at f/1.4?

Imagine a time before even the 35mm film camera. A time of large, wooden cameras and tripods, hand-loaded sheet film, and no metering at all. I personally had not thought about the fact that bird photography and bird literature was not something so new, but has been around for quite a while. A friend of mine, who enjoys prowling used book stores and garage sales looking for old books, recently gave me a book that she found called "Birds of America". This book, which bears the same name as the John James Audubon work of almost 100 years earlier, was first published in 1917 by Garden City Books and the copy I now own is a second printing dating from 1936. The book is an amazing reference work on the bird life of North America and was edited by T. Gilbert Pearson - president of the National Association of Audubon Societies. The Association was formed to coalesce the power of the fledgling state Audubon Societies that had begun to form in the northeastern states, in hopes of changing public and political thinking regarding the preservation and study of birds and other wildlife. The earlier organization called the American Ornithological Union was actively engaged in studying birds, but their method of study included killing as many birds of each species as possible and storing them in drawers for some future examination. This is where photography comes in…

One of the (perhaps unexpected) results of the invention and popularization of photography was that the general public was given the opportunity to see things that they would otherwise not have seen. There are many examples of photography bringing social and political change by raising public awareness. With this new tool called photography, the journalist could bring imagery to a mass audience. One shining example of this is the manner in which photographers were instrumental in convincing the United States government that there were vast areas of wilderness that should be set aside for the public to enjoy for all time. When the images of what is now known as Yellowstone were seen by Theodore Roosevelt, he was inspired to push for the creation of the National Park system in the United States. It turns out that photography had the same effect in turning public and governmental thinking toward conservation and preservation of birds. Having said all that, I would like to share some images from the book with you. Note that the images are in the public domain (thanks to Michael Pancier for his help on this) due to the original publication date of 1917. Also bear in mind that I am not equipped for "real" document archival photography, I just put the book on a music stand and tried to do my best. The original images are around 100 years old.

I was delighted and excited to discover that this book begins by taking a look at how the photographs were captured, including some very good tips for the aspiring bird photographer. Let's take a lighthearted look at some of these situations, some of which may seem strikingly familiar.

---------------------------------------------

This photographer is getting down low, getting up close, and getting his clothes all dirty - all requirements for a good pied-billed grebe shot! He has found a convenient log on which to lie, while he patiently waits for the grebe to look at him. Some things never change... As one ornithologist states in the book "Frequently I have approached wild fowl by crawling in the paths made by raccoons, hares, opossums, and other animals under grasses and low shrubbery. At other times I have been obliged to creep or wriggle through short grass, in mud and water, to reach some desired point of observation." Hard to tell from this image, but the camera looks like one of those new-fangled folding bellows plate cameras. How many shots do you think he got before scaring the grebe away while changing plates? Histogram? I don't think so!

Now this looks vaguely familiar... Do you think our good Captain James saw this picture? This photographer doesn't have to worry about dropping his camera in the drink because it would float! A decided advantage to the wooden camera. He's not worried about megapixels either, that's a large-format behemoth he's sporting there. I included the text above the image because I think it is a great message and timeless as well. "I have never known a bird photographer who was not a bird lover; for to know the birds is to protect them." Two thoughts about this statement - even though this was published in 1917, the author is reminiscing about bird photographers, and the message is decidedly different than the thinking of the time which was to collect and kill birds for their plumage or "scientific study". Radical thinking!

So you think you're really pushing the limits hand-holding that 600mm combo? Check out what Mr. Finley is balancing on his knee! I'll bet he was wishing that he had 4-stop image stabilization. Must have been awkward to change film plates too. And how about those friendly pelicans? Do you think there was a pelican wrangler just off-camera to the right? It makes me think that there was a time when birds weren't so afraid of people. Or, he could be shooting in Florida.

So you think your Gizfrodo BS3000 helium-filled carbon fiber tripod is the shizizzle? Can it do this? Can you do this? I sure can't! Check out the ever-present leather pouch for the film-holders. Two shots per holder, so you better get it right! Where's his meter? I guess he was there because there weren't any good photos of Pigeon Guillemots and this is what makes these images so special to me. All joking aside, these pioneers in bird photography not only moved wildlife photography forward, but also brought the plight of many bird species to the attention of the public.

"Mister Bohlman, if you had not left the 800mm and 5x converter in the wagon we wouldn't be in this predicament!" How do you suppose they set up the tripod for this shot? Good thing the Murres were home because they would have been irked if they weren't there. Here is some text from the facing page of the book - "When watching a nest, approach it with caution, and observe it from such a distance that neither young nor old will be much disturbed by your presence. Many interesting habits may be seen in this way, if a good glass is used." I think these guys are going to need a good glass of something after today's shoot! I guess we can't fault them for not having read the recommendations as the book hadn't been written yet. It is also apparent that nobody told them that this is crazy. Let's hope they at least captured some interesting habits...

Mr. Finley and Mr. Bohlman were pioneers in both avian macro photography and high-tech solutions. Both are demonstrated here in the remote-controlled Golden Eagle Cam. The caption says that the "pictures were taken from a distance by pulling the thread", which means that someone had to go back up there to change the film-holder and cock the shutter for each image. Notice the climbing spikes, easily seen on Mr. Bohlman on the left. These guys were serious about getting the shot! These images made me stop and think about my own shooting. Do I always work hard enough at getting the shot?

Ok, I have to admit that I can't decide if this is pure genius or pure insanity. They are 80 feet up in a tree, shooting down on a nest. So now you know... I think I will not be getting this particular shot. It looks to me like this is a combination of tripod and pulley, as it appears that Mr. Bohlman is holding a rope, which is holding the weight of the camera. I have to wonder how long they spent in that tree.

I'm familiar with the concept of a blind, but the geese must be blind not to see this creation sticking up from the flat ground! I guess it was easier than digging a hole. Actually, he probably got some good eye contact with this setup. Wouldn't you love to see some of those shots?

Well, times have changed but how wonderful it must have been to just walk up and make friends with the new family on the block! "No problem Mrs. Sparrow - the little ones can sit here while you feed them." I love this image and the notion of a kinder, gentler time that it implies.

This photographer has found a slightly safer vantage point from which to photograph this owl, but I think he's having a head angle issue. I'm guessing that the photographer who got this shot also got the better owl image. What is more interesting in this picture is the camera that is being used. If I'm not mistaken, that is a high-tech roll film camera with sliding bellows. You can see that he is cocking the shutter for the next shot and I'm guessing that he has a few left on the roll. I wonder which mode he is shooting in...

I saved this one for last, as I think it illustrates the simple solution to that pesky head angle problem. Non-conforming head angle? No problem! Simply approach your subject and gently adjust the head to the desired rotation for your shooting location. What could be easier? And to think I've spent years trying to get herons to look at me! Now, if I could just get them to let me get close enough...

I hope you have enjoyed this brief look at some of the early photographers of birds and their methods. There are many more images like this in the book as well as hundreds of pictures and drawings of the birds. It also contains a wealth of information regarding breeding habits (which probably haven't changed much), migration behaviors (some of which have changed), and even the biology of the avian world. Some of the text is humorous in the context of life today, but there is a lot of really useful information and philosophy about the ethics and mechanics of getting good bird images. The book is still available through some antique book dealers as well as on eBay. I highly recommend taking the time to locate a copy and adding it to your collection of reference works. Some things never change...

-KP
    • Most Recent Threads

Brian Sump

BWT

Thread Starter: Brian Sump

A local reservoir named Chatfield is one of the great migratory lakes in our area. The past year they raised the water level drastically

Last Post By: Brian Sump Yesterday, 05:32 PM Go to last post
      Gabriela Plesea

Web Master

Thread Starter: Gabriela Plesea

Hello Everyone,

Had a rather unusual sighting the other day so I thought maybe worth sharing. This is a female African Hermit Spider feeding

Last Post By: Gabriela Plesea Yesterday, 03:32 PM Go to last post
      Steve Kaluski

Lion cub

Thread Starter: Steve Kaluski

Subject: Lion cub (Panthera leo)
      Camera: Canon EOS R3
      Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4x III HH
      Exposure: 1/400 at f/5.6 ISO10,000 EV

Last Post By: Gabriela Plesea Yesterday, 02:57 PM Go to last post
      Steve Kaluski

Attitude

Steve

Subject: Kestrel M (Falco tinnunculus) Baited
      Camera: Canon EOS R3
      Lens: RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM + EXTENDER RF1.4x

Last Post By: Brian Sump Yesterday, 05:37 PM Go to last post
      Jonathan Ashton

Black headed gull - Is this a first???

Thread Starter: Jonathan Ashton

I am posting this image not because I think it is particularly good but because it is something I have never seen before. Have you ever seen Black headed

Last Post By: Andreas Liedmann Yesterday, 11:27 AM Go to last post
      Andreas Liedmann

Robin

Thread Starter: Andreas Liedmann

Hi folks ... just for fun I went shooting birds with my DSLR , couple of weeks ago .... before getting the R6
      Here is one of the frames I got ,

Last Post By: Brian Sump Yesterday, 05:39 PM Go to last post
      Steve Kaluski

Ruffled feathers

Steve

Subject: Kestrel (Falco tinnunculus) Baited
      Camera: Canon EOS R5
      Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4x

Last Post By: Steve Kaluski Yesterday, 05:53 AM Go to last post
      Steve Kaluski

Hunting

Subject:Hunting Lioness (Panthera leo)
      Camera: Canon EOS R5
      Lens: RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM HH
      Exposure: 1/2000 at f/8.3 ISO2500

Last Post By: Gabriela Plesea Yesterday, 03:01 PM Go to last post
      Jonathan Ashton

Rhingia campestris

Rhingia campestris - I think, a common garden fly.

OM-1 60mm macro KR-60 flash diffuser

ISO 200, 1/125 sec f11

Last Post By: Jonathan Ashton 04-26-2024, 06:11 PM Go to last post
      Jonathan Ashton

Oystercatcher (Haematopus ostralegus)

Image taken from a hide

OM-1 150-400TC
      Focal Length (35 mm conversion) : 1324.0mm
      Exposure mode : Manual exposure

Last Post By: Steve Kaluski Yesterday, 03:32 PM Go to last post
      Andreas Liedmann

Mandarin Duck ( M ) II

Hi folks ... another image from the Mandarin encounter , hope you like it
      Some might think it is a busy setting ... well I have no influence on

Last Post By: Jonathan Ashton 04-26-2024, 03:19 AM Go to last post
      Andreas Liedmann

Red Squirrel Jump IX

Hi folks ... I keep going with my jumping Squirrels
      This time the less sporty Squirrel , as he is struggling to jump .... not that much confident

Last Post By: Gabriela Plesea Yesterday, 03:26 AM Go to last post
      Ian McLachlan

Playtime

Thread Starter: Ian McLachlan

Having got rid of their young this pair of Black Shouldered Kites seem to be having fun.The background is Australia's longest river [Murray]

Last Post By: Andreas Liedmann 04-26-2024, 03:24 AM Go to last post
      Andreas Liedmann

Kingfisher III

Hi folks ... time for a KF image from a different location .
      Spend two days in a hide ( commercial ) , folks promised me behavior shots like copula

Last Post By: Andreas Liedmann 04-25-2024, 03:50 AM Go to last post
      Jonathan Ashton

Great creasted grebe (Podiceps cristatus)

Larger crop than ideal but I liked the pose.

OM-1 150-400TC
      Focal Length (35 mm conversion) : 1000.0mm
      Exposure mode

Last Post By: Jonathan Ashton 04-25-2024, 01:37 PM Go to last post
    Web Analytics