PDA

View Full Version : Orange-billed Nightingale Thrush

Raul Padilla
06-15-2011, 06:25 AM
This bird was lifer the past week, but i leave my camera in house (only scoutting) ... then this monday before the sunrise i take my camera and go to search again and take a photo of this little thrush.. all day searching...many shots... one photo i like share

Canon 50D
500 mm
f8
1/60
iso 400

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/data/532/Catharus_aurantiirostris_melpomene_Orange-billed_Nightingale_Thrush2_.jpg

Randy Stout
06-15-2011, 07:06 AM
Raul:

Sharp, well exposed, excellent catchlight. Nice sense of his habitat but you still managed to have the bird standout from BG. In looking at your techs, I would have been tempted to shoot at a larger f/stop to improve the isolation of the bird at bit more. Would have also given more shutter speed to work with, you did very well at 1/60s.

Good shooting angle too.

Cheers

Randy

Raul Padilla
06-15-2011, 09:11 AM
Thx Randy, i take it with the bird in the shadows of trees, i not like use flash in this situation because i love the look of natural difuse ligth in shadows, the IS of lens work really good, i agreed in sttoped up the lens for less DOF

Have a good day

Arthur Morris
06-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Nicely done as per Randy. You need a bit more room below the bird and kneeling down would have yielded a more intimate image.

Raul Padilla
06-15-2011, 01:16 PM
<script>(function(){var src = document.getElementById('source');src.focus();src. select();src.style.boxSizing=src.style.WebkitBoxSi zing=src.style.MozBoxSizing=src.style.MsBoxSizing= 'border-box';}</script>thanks Arthur, your advice is always valuable, a lower angle would have given me a more diffuse background and certainly a better composition

Arthur Morris
06-15-2011, 02:04 PM
Thanks for having an open mind Raul; it is always best to minimize the proximal background if possible. See Why Sit Down on the Job? (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2011/06/11/why-sit-down-on-the-job/) for more info on getting low.

Raul Padilla
06-15-2011, 06:16 PM
Thanks Arthur, i am waiting my next photo-adventure (next friday) for use "sitting down on the job" with the same bird

have a good day

Arthur Morris
06-15-2011, 06:24 PM
I will look forward to seeing some improved images of this handsome bird. Good luck finding it!