PDA

View Full Version : Gulf of Mexico Birdscape

Richard Peters
05-26-2009, 01:43 PM
A shot from one of my visits to Florida, a Great Blue Heron in the Gulf of Mexico just after sunset. Exposure time of 13 seconds.

D3 with 50mm 1.4 AFS - I did a small write up on the story behind the image HERE on my blog (http://www.richardpeters.co.uk/blog/2009/02/18/heron-gulf-of-mexico-sunset/) for those interested :)

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c22/richardmpeters/Florida2/RP1_7086.jpg

Tony Whitehead
05-26-2009, 02:01 PM
I like the colours, lines and blur of the water. Hard to see at this res but the bird looks a little blurred/translucent too. Some selective work to increase contrast may make it more of a focal point. Looks to be a dustbunny halfway up the sky 1/3 from the right. Well spotted to catch this image and nice co-ooperstion from the bird.

Richard Peters
05-26-2009, 02:08 PM
Tony, good spot! A dust bunny has escaped me, grrrrr! lol

Your quite right the bird is a little translucent which at first bothered me and I was indeed going to darken him down. Once I started processing though I decided I liked the overall feel of the shot and, for me at least, it added to the overall mood of the image. Just one of those personal things I guess :D

Axel Hildebrandt
05-26-2009, 02:16 PM
Great light, colors and interesting composition. I hope you can sharpen the bird a bit more.

Steve Maxson
05-26-2009, 03:10 PM
This image has a nice feel to it, Richard. I like the colors and the diagonal comp of the blue water. IMO, the image would be even stronger if the bird had been further to the left.

Juan Aragonés
05-26-2009, 03:41 PM
Very atractive result. The long exposure did its magic on thi scene. Colors are fantastic and love the burring effect of the long exposure on the waves, I agree with Steve about the position of the heron in the frame.

Fabs Forns
05-26-2009, 05:50 PM
Lovely colors and idea. I'd love for the Heron to be more to the left, giving the sand more coverage, in other words, moving your camera to the left. Nicely done, though :)

Dave Leroy
05-26-2009, 05:53 PM
LOvely looking photo and I am glad you posted it. The bit of blur around bird does not bother me. Lovely colours.
Dave

Richard Peters
05-26-2009, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the replies all :)

I agree the Heron would be better a little more to the left but he just would not play ball! I actually have a shot with more sand but due to the lack of light levels its just a big black area, so doesn't work.

Stu Bowie
05-27-2009, 12:01 AM
Richard, Lovely light and colours, and I like the use of a slow ss. I would also have placed the heron more to the left.

Kobus Tollig
05-27-2009, 01:55 AM
I think the colours here is wow. Like the water and comp. I just wish the bird was sharper. Well done here. Good eye