PDA

View Full Version : Canada warbler

Jeff Nadler
05-17-2009, 04:08 PM
http://www.jnphoto.net/canadawarbler-3683C.jpg

Added: 2 problems with this image. Strong winds moving the branches sacrificed sharpness I think. Second, the Better Beamer at close range washed out some detail. I will not use the beamer when close like this.

Camera Model: Canon EOS 40D
Shutter speed: 1/125 sec
Aperture: 7.1
Exposure mode: Av
Flash: External E-TTL
Flash exposure compensation: -1
Metering mode: Evaluative
Drive mode: Continuous
ISO: 800
Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS USM +1.4x
Focal length: 700mm
AF mode: AI Servo AF

Bob Malbon
05-17-2009, 05:54 PM
Jeff,
Nice one! The gray on my screen seams a bit washed out. How much crop? Flash settings? Thanks, Bob
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Arthur Morris
05-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Kill me why don't you. I have driven 5,500 miles in search of warblers.... Love the clean setting, the singing pose, and the BKGR. Bigger would be better for this superb image.

Mike Lentz
05-17-2009, 08:58 PM
Jeff, nice image of a neat species! The only thing I'd do is clone out the OOF twig in front of Mr. Canada and maybe the two light lines behind the bird.

Glenn Bartley
05-17-2009, 09:13 PM
Gorgeous photo of this species. One I have yet to photograph......well not in Canada anyways...

Jeff Nadler
05-18-2009, 07:26 AM
Added: 2 problems with my image IMO. Strong winds moving the branches sacrificed sharpness I think. Second, the Better Beamer at close range washed out some detail. I will not use the beamer when close like this.

Arthur Morris
05-18-2009, 07:50 AM
Added: 2 problems with my image IMO. Strong winds moving the branches sacrificed sharpness I think. Second, the Better Beamer at close range washed out some detail. I will not use the beamer when close like this.

Hey Jeff, Here is a big time pro tip revealed so far only in our BAA Bulletins: when you have the Beamer on and are working very close, simply slide down the diffusion screen in front of the flash head (assumming that you are using a flash that has one such as the 580 EX). This will show as 14mm for the zoom and will mminimize the flash. Then when working on birds that are farther away, simply raise and store the diffusion screen.

Also, unless there are over-exposed pixels, you should be able to get the image to look exactly as you wish. Let me know if you need some help with that.

Arthur Morris
05-18-2009, 07:55 AM
Like this. Darkened using Levels and Selective Color adjustments. I also used a 15% blue Photo Filter to unblock the yellows.

Jeff Nadler
05-18-2009, 08:14 AM
Artie, that looks sooooo much better. Thanks for taking the time to assist. I will do this on my own this evening. I can definitely see more plumage detail!

Also thanks for the flash tip-that is the flash I own.

I am thinking better to have the issue I have than serious underexposure - which at ISO 800 would introduce noticable noise when lightening during the processing.

Arthur Morris
05-18-2009, 08:19 AM
YAW Jeff. I added two points of black to both the mid-tones and the blacks in Selective Color (I have an action for that) and in viewing my repost thought that I could have gone a bit darker with the blacks in the mid-tones. This and tons more equally great tips are in our Digital Basics File.

Francis Bossé
05-19-2009, 12:44 PM
Jeff,

You may have a look at that PS plug in (Nik Software Color Efex Pro): http://www.niksoftware.com/colorefexpro/usa/entry.php

There are one filter name "Tonal Contrast" in the package where you could bring back contrast in high, mid, black tones. It work great on color without details.

Ramon M. Casares
05-19-2009, 02:37 PM
Very nice pose, soft light, comp, and BG, I like it very much. Repost does look better. Congratulations!