Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Kruger Lioness

  1. #1
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    7,914
    Threads
    464
    Thank You Posts

    Default Kruger Lioness

    Attached Images Attached Images
     
    Hello Everyone,

    Just sharing a simple image of a relaxed lioness tonight, it was captured in the Kruger Park last month. We had lots of sightings but it has been rather tough from photography point of view, grass was tall due to recent rains and vegetation was dense. We saw just about everything except for wild dogs and got to spend some time watching lions and observing the mating behaviour.

    Happy to say I recently managed to book a Kalahari trip for next year, it's been a while and I miss the place tremendously.

    So I hope you don't find this too boring, I promise to try share something more exciting next time.

    Nikon Z9
    Nikon 400mm F2.8 TC @560mm
    ISO 2000
    F6.3
    0.67 EV
    SS 1/1250s

    Thank you kindly for comments and critique on my previous images, much appreciated.

    Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

  2. #2
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in the world
    Posts
    20,852
    Threads
    1,320
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    AHHA, great to see you back and posting images too Gabriela and not just replies to threads.

    Lovely capture, clean, simple with sympathetic backdrop that isolates the subject well. Nice to see the serrated/rasping tongue, ideally suited to ensure every last morsel is cleaned off the bones. Unusual to get the capture with the eye visible, they have a habit of closing them, just like us as we yawn. Good techs on the DoF but you know I would say up the ISO with that MPX camera. The tweaks on the camera settings has really helped and provided a nice basis for processing.

    Looking forward to seeing more, looks like we are both set for next year.

    TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: Itís ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

  3. #3
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    7,914
    Threads
    464
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    AHHA, great to see you back and posting images too Gabriela and not just replies to threads.

    Lovely capture, clean, simple with sympathetic backdrop that isolates the subject well. Nice to see the serrated/rasping tongue, ideally suited to ensure every last morsel is cleaned off the bones. Unusual to get the capture with the eye visible, they have a habit of closing them, just like us as we yawn. Good techs on the DoF but you know I would say up the ISO with that MPX camera. The tweaks on the camera settings has really helped and provided a nice basis for processing.

    Looking forward to seeing more, looks like we are both set for next year.

    TFS
    Steve
    Steve, thank you so much, you're as kind with your words as always

    Like you said, usually the animals are closing their eyes when they yawn so I was a bit lucky here. Have you noticed the beautiful long eye lashes? I would have shared some more from this sighting but was a bit put off by the fact that she was lying on the road.

    And yes the tweaks on the camera settings helped...Constantly changing things to improve AF, the Z9 is so customisable I think I'll never get bored. It's fun

    Yes there'll be more images, must just squeeze some time for PP. Hope to see something from you too

    Have a wonderful evening!

    Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

  4. #4
    BPN Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Brussels, Belgium
    Posts
    1,226
    Threads
    133
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Hi Gabriela,

    I'm really enjoying this image. It creates such a contrast in my mind between the soft calm of the colour palette and the fearsome look of the lioness's teeth!

    Lovely detail on the subject - the fur looks very tactile. And that wide open mouth looks awesome!

    Thanks for sharing.

    Gerald

  5. #5
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    7,914
    Threads
    464
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Kelberg View Post
    Hi Gabriela,

    I'm really enjoying this image. It creates such a contrast in my mind between the soft calm of the colour palette and the fearsome look of the lioness's teeth!

    Lovely detail on the subject - the fur looks very tactile. And that wide open mouth looks awesome!

    Thanks for sharing.

    Gerald
    Thank you from the heart, Gerald! She was indeed beautiful and so clean ... almost 'cuddly', save for those teeth

    Wish I could show you some cubs from the reserve where I live, but they are still tiny and the pride keeps them tucked away from people and vehicles, mom in particular is very protective. Perhaps in a few weeks' time we'll be able to get closer.

    I'll see what else I have in my folders. The May trip to Kruger Park wasn't very productive but I am going back in September. Really hoping for some wild dogs, they are so awesome!

    Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

  6. #6
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in the world
    Posts
    20,852
    Threads
    1,320
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    The Z9 is a beast for sure and you are definitely getting more right, just only change things for the right reasons, but also PP should now be easier as well.

    Yes, you will start to see something soon, once I get time at home. Enjoy the sounds of the evening bush.
    Post Production: Itís ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

  7. #7
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    7,914
    Threads
    464
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Yes it's a bit of a beast, LOL, the Z9... the more I learn about it the more interesting it gets... PP easier yes, and more fun...

    Lions roaring at the moment every 20 minutes or so...they are about 3 km away... I am sure they'll move on during the night so I'd be very lucky to see them tomorrow morning, knowing life they'll be under some bush and out of reach...But I never give up hope:)


    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    The Z9 is a beast for sure and you are definitely getting more right, just only change things for the right reasons, but also PP should now be easier as well.

    Yes, you will start to see something soon, once I get time at home. Enjoy the sounds of the evening bush.
    Gabriela Plesea

  8. #8
    BPN Member Andreas Liedmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Dortmund / Germany
    Posts
    11,497
    Threads
    1,331
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Hi Gabriela ... glad you had a great time in Kruger , maybe even forgetting all the business stress at home

    The Z9 seems to deliver quite good base IQ ... very nice to see all the fine details and tonal transitions in the fur . Framing as good as always ... well thought comp
    Well timed yawning and you are right it is cool to have eyes open .
    Looks like you have taken this on the road ... but it is not really visible .

    Personally I think the image is more on the " darker side " ... matter of taste . And I would have used the full potential of the tonal range ... looking at the histogram in PS there is quite a gap in the HL .

    Nonetheless nice to see you posting

    TFS Andreas

  9. #9
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    7,914
    Threads
    464
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Thank you so much Andreas,

    Yes, had a wonderful time in Kruger but at times so frustrating...photographically speaking...I do like clean-ish backgrounds and a natural environment but oh it was so difficult to even spot the animals among all the vegetation.

    Still fine tuning the Z9 and yes it's fun discovering how many things it can do. Set up some 'cases' and assigned various buttons to perform certain functions but I still have to remember everything when 'out there' Don't regret changing to mirrorless as I needed a challenge, LOL.

    And you are right, image was taken while the lioness was lying on the road. Certainly not ideal and I tried to make the road less visible. Do agree it is a bit dark, only noticed that after posting. Will have another look and try obtain more separation between the subject and BG, did very little here in PP and I feel there's much more one can do to improve this image.

    Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

  10. #10
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in the world
    Posts
    20,852
    Threads
    1,320
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    But I'll still go there and pay my respects to the man who put the first camera in my hands and taught me about photography and wildlife
    He was a great guy, I’ve lost two wonderful guys whilst participating here on BPN over the years and both had the passion and ultimately persuaded the love of wildlife, he will alway be there for you Gabriela and so keep the passion burning. This year will be the turning point where both encounter & pp come together and you realise your true passion.
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 06-21-2024 at 04:08 PM.
    Post Production: Itís ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

  11. #11
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    7,914
    Threads
    464
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    He was a great guy, I’ve lost two wonderful guys whilst participating here on BPN over the years and both had the passion and ultimately persuaded the love of wildlife, he will alway be there for you Gabriela and so keep the passion burning. This year will be the turning point where both encounter & pp come together and you realise your true passion.
    Your thoughts and words are much appreciated, Steve
    Gabriela Plesea

  12. #12
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cheshire UK
    Posts
    17,548
    Threads
    2,708
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Super shot Gabriela despite modest shutter speed well detailed, perhaps a little more difference in exposure between background and subject would enhance a tad more?

  13. #13
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    7,914
    Threads
    464
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Thank you so much Jon,

    You are right and I agree, needs more separation between subject and BG, will have another look at this image

    Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Web Analytics