Thread: New Computer Is Awesome!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default New Computer Is Awesome!

A few thread back I replied to a topic RE SSD Drives and Lightroom stating I was ordering a new computer using just such a system. Well it arrived last week and i must say it is Awesome. Here are the specs.

What I find is that start up time is about 20 seconds for the entire system. The time it takes CS4 to load is about 3 seconds. Images load right away. Saving large TIF files is about 2 seconds.

I use the SSD for all programs and the OS. The WD 1 TB HD is used for image storage and I added an additional 500 GB drive for non image data storage. This way the access to program operations is blindlly fast and the access to files is segregated as to type of data I need to use and therefore is equally fast. The system is extremely quiet.

I have to give a plug for Puget Systems. The staff helped me a lot in choosing the correct components. Not more than I need,but not less either. Build time was 3 business days and I chose 1-3 day shipping from FEDEX and it arrived in 2 days.

One very important thing - NO CRAPWARE on the system. It arrived with Windows 7 Home Premium and the software to burn DVDs. That's it! I loaded all my own productivity software, security suite, CS4, LR 2.6 etc. It took me about 2 long days to load all this and my data.

Sorry to go on and on, but this system rocks and I wanted to share for those who may be considering a new system.
    System Core
    Motherboard Asus P7P55D-E Pro
    CPU Intel Core i7 QUAD CORE 860 (Lynnfield) 2.8GHz 8MB 95W (Socket 1156 45nm)
    Ram 4 x Kingston ValueRAM DDR3-1333 2048MB
    Video Card Zotac GT 240 1GB Silent

Storage
    Hard Drive Intel X25-M 34nm Gen 2 80GB SATA II 2.5inch SSD Comments: Primary drive.

Western Digital Caviar Black 1.0TB SATA 6 Gb/s Comments: Secondary drive.

CD / DVD Pioneer 22X DVD-RW SATA (black)

Case / Cooling
    Case Antec P183 (Gunmetal Finish)

Power Supply Corsair TX 650W Power Supply

CPU Cooling Scythe Katana 3 CPU Cooler

Software
    OS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM

Accessories
    Services Warranty: Lifetime Labor, 1 Year Parts

Total $2,197.92

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Glad to hear it---I know you put a lot of thought into the system...

William Malacarne

Ed

Just curious as to where you have the scratch disk set up at?

Bill

Alfred Forns

Hi Ed Looks like a sweet system !!! ... and a great price !!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by William Malacarne View Post
    Ed

Just curious as to where you have the scratch disk set up at?

Bill
    William, I have configured CS4 to use the C drive as the first choice and the D drive as the second. So far so good.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred Forns View Post
    Hi Ed Looks like a sweet system !!! ... and a great price !!!
    Al, you are right. I priced Dell, HP, Falcon Northwest, CyberPower and Puget. Puget seemed to offer the best quality, support and price combination. Falcon NW came close, but Puget seemed to meet my personal needs better. I have really become tired of the big manufacturers like Dell and HP only allowing a certain amount of configuration and then placing a bunch of unnecessary stuff on the HD without my asking for it.

Of course YMMV.