Thread: Long Eared Owl with prey

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Long Eared Owl with prey

Name:  LEO-BL-2-BPN.jpg
Views: 6612
Size:  587.2 KB

Bit of an absence for me with lockdown etc, but hopefully I'll be back out more now. I went back to an area that in previous years has had nesting long eared owls, and a local friend confirmed there are 2 pairs.

They live on one side of a valley, then drop into the valley to hunt with a great light angle providing they're out early enough you can drop lucky and get them in gorgeous evening light heading right towards you.

As is normally the case, he came out just as the sun was dropping over the hill and I'd left the perfect position about 10 minutes earlier to try and get him in sunlight, so a 'quick sprint' (take from that what you will....) and I was back in the lower field as he circled me against the sun with the unfortunate vole.

Still getting used to the Nikon, so changing settings on the fly, so not ideal, but,

Nikon D500
    600mm f4 + 1.4x
    ISO 2000
    1/1250th f5.6

Mike

Edit - just seen the theme needed the item to be in the mouth, mods please can you delete the prefix, thanks
    Last edited by Mike Poole; 06-08-2020 at 01:44 PM.

2. Thanks Volkan Akgul thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike, seems like you have a great thing going there to photograph these guys, and you nailed this with food and all. Great flight pose with the raised near wing, and love the light through it too. The Owl pops against the darker BG, and I'm seeing a touch of noise on this near wing.

I followed your request and have removed this as a theme image. No doubt this guy will be back with food in his beak, and you can repost for the theme.

4. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Mike I'm jealous! Super shot, the pose and the vole are super, the eye is magic and the background is pleasing too - a pleasure to view well done.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Way to go Mike. This is one of the best backlit images I have ever seen. Love that ye, the backlit prey, and the underwing detail.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi, very very good! congratulations

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great mood you got here, and the rim-lighting around the prey is excellent. The BG could use a bit more NR IMO, but all else looks pretty darn good!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

sweet image Mike, agree one of the back-lits that works well. BG needs more NR, great otherwise

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog