Thread: Kentish Plover

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lesser Sand-Plover

Attached Images Attached Images

Shot on a cold, windy, and cloudy day at low tide. Bird activity was unusually high on the day I shot this image and I couldn't resist staying until my fingers went numb I think I did some minor beach clean-up (processed this image a couple of months ago), basic NR and sharpening. I chose to leave the green bit on the left in; I like it as is, but I'd love your thoughts on this.

Camera - Nikon D850

Focal Length - 700mm
    Aperture - f/8
    Shutter Speed - 1/640s
    ISO - 1600
    Handheld
    Manual, Auto ISO
    ~60% of Full-frame

As always, all comments & CC are appreciated!
    Last edited by Aditya Sridhar; 01-16-2020 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Ugh, messed up the ID again! It's a Lesser Sand-Plover, not a Kentish Plover. Sorry!

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Outstanding capture, Aditya. The image quality is remarkable. When you say it was windy, is that in fact blowing sand in the background? I certainly does look like a sandstorm brewing. Love the blue sky with soft clouds. Nice foreground and low POV. Given your story of the conditions the Plover looks as if it's bracing somewhat against the wind. I like that you left the green bit in.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

3. Thanks Aditya Sridhar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice, excellent POV and enough DOF.. A bit bright I think, it could go a tad lower.
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like the BG colors.
    Sharp, good exposure. Nice low POV (maybe too low with all that FG).
    I would crop this a bit tighter to reduce the amount of OOF FG (you should have enough pixels with the D850).
    I am on the fence about the green stem. Adds a nice pop of color but does pull the eye away from the plover.
    Gail

6. Thanks Aditya Sridhar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks great. I love that BG color and the low POV. I love the sanding sticking to the feet. Exposure and details look nice. I'm ok with the green stem. Nice work, I really like it. TFS

8. Thanks Aditya Sridhar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks a lot, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey Montagu View Post
    Outstanding capture, Aditya. The image quality is remarkable. When you say it was windy, is that in fact blowing sand in the background? I certainly does look like a sandstorm brewing. Love the blue sky with soft clouds. Nice foreground and low POV. Given your story of the conditions the Plover looks as if it's bracing somewhat against the wind. I like that you left the green bit in.

Geoffrey
    http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu
    Thanks a lot Geoffrey! The brown in the background is actually the beach and the blue strip is the Arabian Gulf

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice little Plover, captured beautifully against a lovely pastel BG. POV looks good to me, but I could see cropping a bit off the bottom. I'm usually a fan of leaving a touch of green in any image, but in this case I'm not convinced that it adds anything.

11. Thanks Aditya Sridhar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely low angle, and the soft blue behind really adds a dreamy quality to a technically-sound image. Perfect head angle with a nice reflection. I'd lose the green thing because I'm anal about little stuff like that, but it does
    help anchor the depth of field in which the bird finds itself. I think the frame could be brightened just a bit to add a bit more pop. Otherwise a very solid frame.

13. Thanks Aditya Sridhar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

II love everything about this one especially the image design and the soft color tones. A real gem.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

15. Thanks Aditya Sridhar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very Nicely Done. I like the Head Angle. If beach clean up is done then I would clone out the green bit.

TFS

17. Thanks Aditya Sridhar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks a lot, everyone!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks great. Love the two toned background. Nice framing as well. Like that little bit of vegetation on the left.