Thread: Juvenile Ring-billed Gull.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Juvenile Ring-billed Gull.

Attached Images Attached Images

These guys are so underrated and underappreciated....check out the way-cool plumage pattern on the dorsal side!

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/2000s., f/8, ISO 400, natural light, handheld, about 70% FF (originally as a vertical as well).

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Daniel:

Kind of like a female mallard, lots to like, just not flashy!

Great dorsal display, head turn, soft background.

Perhaps a bit more sharpening on the bird?

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Terrific banking shot that shows his young plumage to perfection. Great flight angle toward you. Nice work getting it as a vertical.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great wing spread and soft light. Agree, a lot of the young gulls have subtle detail in their plumage. Upper wing looks like it could do with a little more sharpening. Pity the bird wasn't a little higher to get away from the intersecting background pattern.

Forum Participant
    Thank You Posts

Daniel! Those patterns are beautiful! I don't know how you feel about a square crop, but I think this image can certainly hold up to a significant amount off the top and bottom. Maybe a little more sharpening as others suggest. But I really think that plumage should be showcased more! Nice work!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like this and the included habitat is very nice. Love that dorsal view.
    Yes to a bit more sharpening!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice, and its nice to see gulls getting some respect! Yes to more sharpening, and yes to a more off top and bottom, maybe with 8x10 crop instead of 1 x 1.5.
    graded background is wonderful. I might add a few points of black for contrast. You have the detail to spare it.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great on a rare vertical original and great that it was perfectly executed. A note on the plumage: images that show complete juvenile plumage with no upperparts molt are possible only near the breeding grounds. When this species arrives in NY or FLA it always shows upperparts molt. And yes, the dorsal view is superb.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.