Thread: 30,000 Posts :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default 30,000 Posts :)

Attached Images Attached Images

I was around when BPN was hatched. There were five of us: James Shadle, Al Forns, Jim Neiger, another I prefer not to mention, and me. The formative meeting was in the living room at my home in Indian Lake Estates, FL. I funded BPN then and have continued to do so ever since. Some left as friends, some left with. some degree of animosity. A few years ago it was down to Froggy (Captain James Shadle) and me. James bowed out for personal reasons and bestowed his half of BPN to me. As I did not have a clue about the behind the scenes admin stuff, I enlisted my good friend and BIRDS AS ART webmaster Peter Kes to help out. I then bestowed half of BPN to Peter.

Over the past twelve years here I have participated a bit, and then gone missing, sometimes for months at a time. But I always return and find the time to do a fair number of critiques. I have helped a lot of folks here and I too have learned a ton. My life, in general, has been a truly blessed one as I have traveled the world doing what I best love to do. All while making a fine living. And at least in part supporting two other families: my older daughter, Jennifer has worked for me full- and now part-time since 1998, and my right-hand man Jim Litzenburg has been with me for more than a decade.

I greatly enjoy participating here and plan to do so at least until they nail the box shut. Now is a fine time to thank all of our great Mods, so Thanks guys and gals!

with love, artie

ps: the GBH photo was on film and pretty much helped to put me on the map in 1998 when it appeared on the cover of the original The Art of Bird Photography II. I thought that posting it here was a good way to celebrate 30,000 posts. :)
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Huge congrats on this milestone!
    So glad that BPN was started as I enjoy it a lot and have learned lots.
    Have also met and made some really good friends because of BPN and that is priceless.
    I have always liked this GBH shot- and all the more impressive considering this was before digital.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

A heartfelt congratulations to you Artie for another milestone and truly being the pioneer in the field and art of bird photography. BPN is a valuable resource and I am thankful to learn and contribute here. I would say Artie that you also have hatched many many bird photographers who got their wings here and some fledged and some stay close to the nest. No matter where i go, there is always a thought of you when i am in the field; "WWAD?" What would Artie do, I ask myself. Thanks for all you do as well as all the others who nurture BPN. Love this GBH couple BTW, it is ageless...

4. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gail bisson View Post
    Huge congrats on this milestone!
    So glad that BPN was started as I enjoy it a lot and have learned lots.
    Have also met and made some really good friends because of BPN and that is priceless.
    I have always liked this GBH shot- and all the more impressive considering this was before digital.
    Thanks Gail. Though the photo was a film image this one has was digitally optimized when I had the book reprinted. Amphoto printed and sold 35,000 and then quit printing them. I fixed the male's eye, restored lots of WHITE detail, and lost a few branches. I printed 10,000 on my own :)

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congratulations Artie. Thank you for all the help and info.

I learned a lot from joining BPN

7. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It is quite a milestone, a decade has passed and BPN is still the sole resource for honest critiques offered gently.

this image remains one of my all-time favorites, especially given that it was taken with a film camera.

Here is to another decade of BPN
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 07-14-2019 at 06:08 PM.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Arash. I'll drink to another decade of me :)

with love, a

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congratulation my friend, quite a milestone. I know that image, taken at the Venice rookery and cover of your first book The Art Of Bird Photography. Thanks for all the help and knowledge you shared with me. My best, Artie.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

11. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I signed up on January 1st, 2008...became a paying member the same week...then a moderator a few months after that. It's been quite a ride, ups and downs, but all well worth it!! Like Gail, I've met a lot of fine people thanks to BPN.

A classic image from a book I still pull off the bookshelf from time to time. Thank you for all your shared knowledge and helpful critiques :-)

13. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, thanks for your dedication and commitment. Between BPN and the 'how to' pieces that are published through Birds As Art I have learned so much. When the site went down recently I was a bit lost, this is a true community.

15. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats on 30,000 Artie! That's an impressive number! And thanks for being the driving force behind BPN! You were my inspiration for getting into bird photography and I treasure my autographed copy of The Art of Bird Photography that I purchased from you at Bosque del Apache way back when. Here's a scan of the cover.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

17. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Artie:

What a ride it has been for you, and those who have followed along. As many others have said, you have been inspirational!
    Keep it rolling.

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I must thank you Artie, and all involved with BPN. I would never be where I am now with Bird Photography if I never joined BPN...I didn't have a clue when I first joined, and just about 100% of what I know now, I learned on here, or from friends I have met on here.

Thanks guys

Will

20. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congratgulations on this milestone. This forum has been a tremendous resource for me. I have learned tons and enjoy the great images posted here. I can now say i kinda know what i am doing, not to the level of you and the others here though. I actually purcahsed this book at my local friends of the Thompkins libaray sale this spring and it only cost me a dime. Worth every cent. Love this image nice to see both eyes of the left bird and the pose of the right bird with the nesting material is spot on. Keep up the great work.

22. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A nice throw back..Hope to see your work for years to come.
    Dan Kearl

24. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A big Congratulations Artie, can't wait for the next 30K.

-Tim

26. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congrats on the milestone Artie!

28. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congratulations on the benchmark, Artie! What a gem of a resource BPN is, and thanks to everyone who helped hatch BPN.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

30. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Almost missed this post!! A big congrats from me on this milestone!! You are the innovator and the reason many people have taken up bird photography. I mentioned it to you before but when you invited me to the museum exhibit in San Diego, I was more than impressed with your lives work!!
    It was awesome and I gained a new respect for what you have been doing all these years. Well done old man and look forward to many more posts!!
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

32. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congratulations Artie, thanks for everything you've done, both on here and in person to make me a better photographer. Looking forward to shooting together sometime - either side off the pond will do for me!

Mike

34. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Brown View Post
    Congrats on 30,000 Artie! That's an impressive number! And thanks for being the driving force behind BPN! You were my inspiration for getting into bird photography and I treasure my autographed copy of The Art of Bird Photography that I purchased from you at Bosque del Apache way back when. Here's a scan of the cover.
    Thanks, Doug. You are one of many :). Folks can note the differences between the original cover in Pane #11 and the re-mastered digitally enhanced cover in Pane #1.

with love, artie

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congratulations on this milestone Arthur and also on still being in and at the forefront of the game. After the birds and the environment they live in you were the reason I got hooked on bird photography. Your philosophy and your enthusiasm continue to motivate and inspire me daily.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for your kind words, Bob. Do consider an IPT :)

with love, artie