Thread: The Great (Steller's Sea-eagle) Wall of Japan

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default The Great (Steller's Sea-eagle) Wall of Japan

Attached Images Attached Images

Steller’s Sea-eagle striking

This photo was created on the eagle boat at Rausu on the Japan in Winter IPT with the hand held Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens at 321mm and the mega mega-pixel Canon EOS 5DS R. ISO 500. Evaluative metering +2 stops off the gray sky: 1/3200 sec. at f/5.6 in Manual mode. AWB.

Center AF point/AI Servo Expand/Shutter Button AF with the selected AF point squarely on the eagle’s neck was active at the moment of exposure.

See the blog post here to learn about the amazing experience while photographing at the harbor wall and the image optimization for this photo.

As for the image, don't be shy; all honest comments are welcome.

Please e-mail if you would like info on my 2017 Japan in Winter IPT. a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant christopher galeski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

nice striking pose,good detail in the feathers,esp the dark feathers,nice exposure.TFS.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Arthur I visited Japan last year and never got to see these birds, it really is a dramatic pose you have caught with those outstretched talons .Exposure with it's tail against the snow looks very good, excellent work.

Keith.
    Last edited by keith mitchell; 03-01-2016 at 10:14 AM.

BPN Viewer
    Sauerland, North-Rhine-Westfalia, Germany
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Arthur, i have seen many pictures of this great eagle before . but never so impressive! good job!!

5. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dynamic image, wings back, talons outstretched, very nice. While studying your image I noticed that compared to the white on the wings the white on the tail and legs is more grey. I am trying to determine if that is shadows or from post processing to have definition from the whiteness of the snow. The way my brain works makes me wonder. A bird I have never seen before, thank you for sharing, Artie.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Joe. The light was from the right and a bit off the ocean; I believe that the tail feathers were a bit shaded. a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by keith mitchell View Post
    Arthur I visited Japan last year and never got to see these birds, it really is a dramatic pose you have caught with those outstretched talons .Exposure with it's tail against the snow looks very good, excellent work.

Keith.
    Many thanks. You should join me on the Japan in Winter IPT next year :) a

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, brilliant IQ and sharpness, and well timed to capture the outspread talons just above the snow. Well exposed on the darker plumage too.

10. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely looking frame. I like the POV, details and the horizon line position.

TFS

Will

12. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'd say somewhere near miraculous, at the very least superb.
    I hesitate to offer any criticism but I would venture to suggest the left forewing in the whites could possibly be tempted to show a little more detail, as would possibly the whites in the right leg. But wow that is one heck of a good image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie:

The bird pose, angle, details, all great.

Did you have the option of shooting higher or lower, so that the horizon line didn't cut through the bird? The horizon is pretty soft, so not much of a concern, more of a question about your options, and what your ideal composition would have been in a perfect world.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    I'd say somewhere near miraculous, at the very least superb.
    I hesitate to offer any criticism but I would venture to suggest the left forewing in the whites could possibly be tempted to show a little more detail, as would possibly the whites in the right leg. But wow that is one heck of a good image.
    Thanks Jon. I did add a bit of detail there via NIK's Detail Extractor but reduced the opacity to avoid graying out the WHITEs. It is a fine line :) a

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Stout View Post
    Artie:

The bird pose, angle, details, all great.

Did you have the option of shooting higher or lower, so that the horizon line didn't cut through the bird? The horizon is pretty soft, so not much of a concern, more of a question about your options, and what your ideal composition would have been in a perfect world.

Cheers

Randy
    Thanks Randy, As you say, the distant horizon line is quite soft; it does not bother me in the least. If anything, after looking at the posted image, a small crop from the bottom would have resulted in a nicer 1/5, 1/5, 3/5 distribution of BKGR tonalities....

When we pulled up to the bulkhead I quickly realized that I needed to be a bit higher to avoid being block by the forward part of the wall. There was one small platform about 18 inches high. I was on it like a fly on honey...

a

Threads
    Thank You Posts

it looks pretty nice Artie, whites look great. I want to see the head details up close, can you post a close crop? The 50 Mpixel detail should be really sweet!!!
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Arash. Here is an unsharpened 100% crop of the optimized TIFF. It is not one of my sharper images likely because of my less than stellar hand holding skills (that have come as I approach 70). For some really sharp ones check out the six images in the 600 II/5DS R raptors in flight; is this the sickest blog post ever? blog post here. Each image was made with the tripod-mounted 600 II and the 5DS R and is accompanied by a large crop (or two).

Threads
    Thank You Posts

ps: would you say that this image would have benefitted from some NeatImage noise reduction on the subject as outlined in your new post-processing guide?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastic dynamic pose, love the way all the talons seem to be in perfect sync with each other - neat touch

Mike

21. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    ps: would you say that this image would have benefitted from some NeatImage noise reduction on the subject as outlined in your new post-processing guide?
    Hey Artie, yes it would have, especially if you want to print it large! the exposure is really good here that has minimized noise in raw capture
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

23. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the out stretched talons, exposure, details, setting and composition. Very well done Arthur.

25. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great looking pose with perfect exposure. The outstretched feet and talons really show this birds size and strength. Nice HA and I really like the white pants on what appears to be an older adult bird. Nice work
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

27. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post