Thread: Ogwen, Snowdonia

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Ogwen, Snowdonia

Attached Images Attached Images

1/6 sec f16 ISO 400 & 0.6 sec f16 ISO400
    This is a composite image, I made a mask of one image then brushed away the over exposed sky and water to reveal a more acceptable exposure. Once done I added a little vibrance and saturation.
    All comments welcome.
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 01-13-2016 at 09:47 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathon

Great job on the blending, very nice scene. Composition wise I would have moved the camera slightly to the right. That would put the water so it flowed out of the bottom of the frame instead of the side which has less appeal for me, and it would also remove the hint of building you have on the LH border which you are teasing me with but I cannot see it.. SO, I would prefer not to see any of it...Little dust bunnie top edge 1/4 way across from LHS. Also no Exif data..

DON

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Ron that is exactly what I was hoping for you comments have helped greatly. I can see exactly what you mean and I think your suggestions will improve the image.
    I didn't include exif because there were two images but I have put it in now.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice HDR work, done the way it should be. I like the use of a not to slow shutter speed, so that the water smoothing is minimal. I think that most people smooth that too much. I like the large variety of greens and the nice diagonal line, but it lacks power to my eye. Maybe if you'd gotten closer to those rocks in the foreground. I think that the incidental water in the left foreground detracts, along with the related rocks. I think one strong element in the FG, while maintaining the mountain and sky in the BG would have been stronger. It might have meant hiking up to that next rapid up and getting your feet wetter.

Still, lovely shot.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - nice job on the blending. Don has summed up a lot of my thoughts. I too would prefer the comp moved more to the right so that water exits near the lrc. I also want to see what's at the top of the rocks on the right. Like David, not sure that the water along the bottom really adds to the image. Keep experimenting.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You really need to punch these up Jon. To me it looks like you posted the RAW file with no processing.
    You do not leave your Avian photos bland like this?
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks very much everyone, your feedback is very helpful indeed - and encouraging I might add, clearly I have a lot to learn in the landscape department!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice colours and textures here Jonathan.
    I agree it looks a bit bland and washed out. Try reducing exposure by about 1/3 stop and then adding some LCE or tonal contrast?
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks again to everyone you words are very encouraging, here is a rework hopefully a little more aesthetically pleasing to the eye. I think there is a fine line between producing punchy colours pleasing images and results that are life like.

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the scene as presented Jonathon...the repost looks better with the colours punched up a tad...for me if you moved the camera to the right you would lose the placement of the two mountain peaks, which I quite like :)

11. Thanks Jonathan Ashton thanked for this post