Thread: Hard Times in Africa

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hard Times in Africa

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello Friends,

Before I give you some background on this image, I just want to say we are experiencing hard times here in South Africa: the drought has taken its toll on animals and humans alike, our economy has taken a beating, political challenges, crime, poverty, lack of education, corruption - all in all, a lot of frustration and there are lots of issues we all worry about around here. There's little a 48 year old foreigner like myself can do about those "conditions", other than be nervous and watch the news, wondering what's next.

Of all these issues that bother me, I would like to focus on the plight of the rhino tonight (be it black or white), trying to raise awareness with my humble little ways, hoping the world is listening. Here's a Black Rhino with little chance of staying alive, some of his siblings have already been killed and their horn removed in the most cruel ways. Taken in the harshest possible light: H11:16:48 am, during a game drive on one of the local Private Game Reserves.

Not sure whether there is anything you will like about this, what made me process and share such a frame is the "crowded" and "nervous" feel of the image, those green branches on the LHS (since there aren't many around these days, everything is dry and dull), the amount of detail despite the coarseness (rhino), and finally - the disconcerted look on the subject's face: eyes closed, he is facing the burning sun and not a drop of shelter from the sweltering heat.

Nikon D4
    Nikon 300mm F2.8
    ISO 640
    F6.3
    1/1250

Thank you so much for taking the time to view, I truly appreciate it.
    Gabriela Plesea

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela - Sorry, that RSA and much of Southern Africa is suffering through such tough times right now. Hopefully, the summer will bring rains and much needed water to stabilize things a bit. The plight of the rhino is something that we all must continue to be aware of and do our little bit to help keep these around. Your image does convey the heat of the day and a sense of dryness. The zebras in the bg look thin. Nice texture and detail on the rhino. You've handled the harsh light well with detail in the shadows. I can see this as a b&w image too.

TFS,
    Rachel

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, quite a busy image and a lot to take in, but I like it because of the textures and lines of the caked Rhino. Certainly a different backdrop/environment/scene from what we normally see animals set against and as I said, I like it because it's different. I might drop the Exposure a bit, but isolate the rhino calf just for some more depth. The Acacia bush brings a nice bit of colour into the image I feel. The harsh light hasn't help in the darks as I feel it's created a tad more 'contrast' but in this instance I think it's OK and emphasised that backed on mud. I might have expected the lower part of the Rhino (near to top of the legs) to be a bit more in shade???

One question, did you apply any NR to the image, the only reason I ask is one small element - if not, then I would have upped you ISO for more SS .

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you very much Rachel and Steve,

Regarding rain, it is predicted that we'll have some in March 2016 but we'll have to wait till 2017 for those frequent downpours.

Rachel, glad you like this, I have thought of a B/W as well but felt the image overall was too busy, will do so with another frame with just the rhino and no zebra in it

Steve, I shot in harsh light like this before, always ended up deleting those images. Here I felt it was worth giving it a try, the Black Rhino is so special. I have another image of him with his mouth open, it shows so well the difference between the Black and White Rhino.

I looked at the RAW to answer your questions, the lower part of the rhino appears to be consistent with my processed version. Regarding "element", are you perhaps referring to the R ear being so soft at the tip? If so, would you say 1/1250 was not enough for that movement? Interesting question and I admit the ear did bother me. I did do some NR but at very low percentage, wanted a softer look for those branches. I avoided the ear, which looks soft in the original as well. Let me know if you wish to see the RAW, Steve - I'll send it in a flash:) You could arrive to some conclusions and something to be learnt from this

Something you might not have noticed is a tiny halo around the lower part of the rhino's head, it might be a sharpening issue as I probably forgot to blur the mask, easy fix.

Thanks again for your input and thoughtful comments, I so appreciate it!

Warmest regards to you both,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, yes it was the ear, but which one?????

For me it's the left ear as viewed, the one that overlaps the zebra, as I just thought some NR had been applied and the masking may have overlapped. No big, or indeed a deal breaker, just asking.

Cheers
    Steve

6. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve! It is the R ear if you look at it from the medical POV, LOL.

So what caused this? A vigorous ear shake? Or maybe just F-stop, a tad short ? Will never know for sure. I saw this as soon as I looked at the RAW, could not fix it and so I was careful not to make it worse...

My conclusion? More ISO, more SS, more DOF Less NR

Anette Mossbacher would say: " ...and did you see that tick near the eye lashes?" I miss Anette, her images, her sense of humour. I have been in touch with her, mostly FB, hope she'll be back and posting some day.

Have a super evening, dear Steve
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela yes it is a busy image ..... but it works for me .
    With hindsight we could have improved a lot of stuff during capture .... next time we will make it better , if we remember .
    You handled the harsh light quite well with good details and some nice colors .
    From my side you have very nice sharpness in the shadow areas , but the lights/ highlights do look a bit strong /crunchy in parts . I would also temper the HL a fraction , maybe you might get a more balacend tonal appearance .

Love your Rhino , TFS my little sister canīt wait for sept 16

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Boetie Andreas,

Had you been more critical here I would certainly not mind, I probably deserve it:)

However, I do appreciate you going easy on me, you probably understand I have not done much PP work lately and kind of insecure, LOL. I am fully aware of the downfalls of this frame and only mentioned a few, don't think I could have done any better out there in the field but in front of the computer I could improve, given time. The lighting conditions were so bad that Andre decided to do some video and put his camera down. I only took those images because the sighting was so special, also good idea to have record of rhino in case the Reserve owners need it.

Crunchy yes, not sure I can fix that but I will try with my modest means. HL I can work on, give me a few days and I will process another image from this sequence, no zebra and a more interesting pose from the rhino. I will keep in mind your advice when I deal with the next frame which I am sure you will like it more.

Cannot wait for September 2016, time is flying and soon we'll be packing feverishly and off we go to unknown places (at least to me!).

Big hugs from your sister here in Africa, let us get packing LOL, I am busy to write down the menu already:)

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

True we are in hard times, Gabriela. A friend just saw another poached rhino carcass in Kruger over the weekend, and another rhino seemingly killed in a fight elsewhere in the park.
    Rain is coming now at last where I live, but the lowveld (Kruger) and Zululand need it more (and of course the Kalahari).

Back to the image. I like the zebras behind the blackie.
    I'd try this as a high contrast monochrome?
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I hear you Gabriela

..................just hope the rest of southern Africa does as well

Agree with Morkel this would be a good candidate for a mono conv, also love the BG here that a prime f/2.8 can deliver.

TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you dear Morkel and Marc,

I hear you, will try be a little more adventurous and explore other options:)

Really appreciate your views and opinions

I have recently shared a Story Sequence, if time permits kindly have a look at the Warthog/Ellie interaction I captured two weeks ago:)

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela can't for the life of me think why anyone would won't to kill one of these magnificent animals, do hope things get better in South Africa was hoping to plan a trip in 2016 if I have got both my legs fully working, perhaps I can PM you if we get sorted.
    The look on the Rhinos face maybe says it all.

Don't know if "Happy New Year" sounds appropriate but I wish it any way .
    Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Happy New Year dear Keith!

Thank you so much for your kind comments, always.

Will be in touch, send me a PM when you decide to come to SA.

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela -- Sorry to hear about such a state especially for the rhinos . i think you have done your best to salvage this image in the settings available to you and a perfect caption to go with it . TFS !

16. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You've effectively portrayed the conditions you write of. Well done!

18. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Haseeb and Dale, much appreciated
    Gabriela Plesea