Thread: Fall River Wigeon

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Fall River Wigeon

Attached Images Attached Images

Exposed in full shade with overhanging trees reflecting upon water.

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV EF500mm f/4L IS USM +1.4III 1/800 sec; f/5.6; ISO 640 Aperture priority; Evaluative metering

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You've hit all the notes right: head angle, direction of light, colorful foliage reflection, eye-level with the bird and no color cast. It's even a handsome bird swimming in clean water.
    You might consider dialing back the saturation of the foliage reflection in the water. It is so intense that it competes with the emerald racing strip that goes through the bird's eye.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I will try that. The saturation is native from the raw file-I did not increase

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice overall.
    I like the sharpness achieved and the nice light. I find the reflection too close to the bottom, perhaps more room on bottom and less on top would help?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Douglas,

I love the bird--it is one of those genetic variations that show the complete cream-colored head, and I love the BKGR especially the lighter toned GREENs. And the killer perfect REFL.

Do you have some more room on the bottom? This image needs it. Lastly, the very top of the head, surely the brightest highlight in the image, looks as if it is borderline hot and could use some more detail---you might need to start over (re-convert) to get detail there.....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

very nice shot Douglas, love this duck, only thing for me is it looks a bit tight at the bottom.. love the reflection and the colors.
    cheers,
    Merv

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Doug, it's a beautiful moment in color! Love the feather detail and the reflection is great. You may want to try and clone out the brown spots in the background which would add to the surreal look. But, if you are a purist it is better than fine as is.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stunning colors you have here. I would crop just a tad from the left or add a little room on the bottom.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default RECROP WIDGEON

Attached Images Attached Images

OK folks here is the recrop and Artie I did some work on the head top although working with those whitish details is not one of my strong points. I need to learn more. THANKS one and all

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice pose, perfect head turn. The repost looks better for sure, Douglas.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by douglas hayes View Post
    I will try that. The saturation is native from the raw file-I did not increase
    Actually, the saturation is simply from the way your Raw converter interpreted the file, and that can be subject to some significant variation. It will also change with how an initial Curve is set. I prefer images to come in with a linear curve and will boost as needed. If you are using a converter that gives you the options (I think any good one should) have a look at the Camera Calibration section and try the different Profiles. They will be quite different in most cases.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pane 9 is better. If you would like, send me the AW file via Hightail It or another service. To this e-mail address: samandmayasgrandpa@worldnet.att.net
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful in every way!