Thread: Great Grey Owl Flying

John Harper

Default Great Grey Owl Flying

Hi There

Another shot from the Hawk Conservancy showing a Great Grey Owl this time flying. I was trying out the AI Servo on a fixed MKIII, and also to see how high ISO images look.

On both counts the camera has exceeded my expectations, in low light i have found it superior to my MKIIN. I haven't had a sunny day to try it out in brighter light, and i will report back when i have done so.

John

EOS1DMKIII
    EF 500mm F4L
    ISO 3200
    1/1000 @ F4

Robert Amoruso

I like the BG bokeh, the sharpness of the owl's face, the blurring of the wings, the intense look. If only this was a 1/8 second later you would not have had the merge of the wing and post. Really hard to judge such things and just be happy when it all clicks. However, that is a minor nit in an otherwise excellent capture. Good work.

Judy Lynn Malloch

Robert has covered it all but I just want to say what a great face with incredible detail and your timing was wonderful to catch this beauty. Love it.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Robert covered the wing merge....although it took me a moment to notice it. The head is so sharp that I can't move my eyes off of it. I have been so impressed with your images in the gloom of winter......I'm really anxious to see what good light will bring. Keep 'em coming.

John Harper

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Amoruso View Post
    I like the BG bokeh, the sharpness of the owl's face, the blurring of the wings, the intense look. If only this was a 1/8 second later you would not have had the merge of the wing and post. Really hard to judge such things and just be happy when it all clicks. However, that is a minor nit in an otherwise excellent capture. Good work.
    Hi Robert

I have another shot from the sequence, but i am not sure if the orange leaves are too much of a distraction, if its not one thing its the other :p

Perhaps you can let me know your thoughts

John

EOS1DMKIII
    EF500 F4L
    ISO 3200
    1/1000 @ F4