Thread: The Bank is Open

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default The Bank is Open

Attached Images Attached Images

Crested Caracara banking

This image was created on 5 November 2020 at a great raptor set-up (baited) at the Laguna Seca Ranch in Hidalgo County, TX. I used the handheld Sony FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G OSS lens (at 600mm) and the blazingly fast AF King, the Sony Alpha a9 II Mirrorless Digital camera body. ISO 1000. Exposure determined by Zebras with ISO on the rear wheel: 1/2500 sec. at f/6.3 in Manual mode. AWB at 9:14am on a sunny mooning with just a hint of moisture in the air. Center Zone AF-C was active at the moment of exposure and performed superbly. Click the image to see a larger version.

To learn more about the creation of this image, to see the next frame in the sequence, and see my "Bosque Bad News?" comments see the SONY 200-600 G Lens with the a9 ii on the Laguna Seca Ranch: the (Crested Caracara) Bank is Open! Bosque Bad News? blog post here.

As for the image, don't be shy. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the flight pose and HA...Not sure if I like the contrasty look...although you can still see detail in the darkest feathers....Maybe its the high contrast I like..sort of grows on you...

Will

3. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Too contrast for me. I like the framing and positioning of subject in the frame.

TFS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I can see detail in the dark plumage yet I am uncomfortable with the presentation, the darks just look too heavy to me. When I open in PSCC I se a strong color cast. The image does not have an embedded color profile - maybe this is not helping presentation.

7. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Bill, Krishna, and Jon. I re-did the master file to reduce the contrast and was sure that I was going to like the original better. But I like the less contrasty version. Go figure.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cashing-in at the bank! Yes, I prefer the repost as well. The subtle browns and blues on the wings are rather pleasing. I love that face!

10. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, the banking pose is awesome and set against the 'aqua' backdrop it really pops, but I feel you can still extract even more detail & definition enhancing more of the plumage, plus there is a sharpening halo all around the bird.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

12. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Repost - beautiful!! Love the colours but I agree some dark areas are still inky black and therefore lack definition.

14. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the pose and BG. The high contrast treatment works for me on this species. Such a handsome bird. TFS

16. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The repost addresses my concerns! Great top wing view and tack sharp.
    Very nice!

18. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Repost - beautiful!! Love the colours but I agree some dark areas are still inky black and therefore lack definition.
    Thanks again. We have had this discussion before. I like my BLACKs black. I see no need ta all to tease out detail in BLACKs especially those in the sun when a bird has bright white on it. The darkest BLACKs I can find show RGB values of 2, 4, 10. I am 100% fine with that. I don''t want or need detail (if that is what you mean by "definition" in my BLACKs.

with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Artie, the banking pose is awesome and set against the 'aqua' backdrop it really pops, but I feel you can still extract even more detail & definition enhancing more of the plumage, plus there is a sharpening halo all around the bird.

TFS
    Steve
    As far as more detail in the BLACKs, please see my reply to Jon :). As far as a sharpening halo "all around the bird", I, and everyone else who commented does not see such a halo. My excuse is that I am on a road trip and I left my electron microscope home :)

with love, artie
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 11-18-2020 at 02:07 PM.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That’s fine Artie re blacks, it’s all subjective and how we perceive things. Enjoy your road trip and no need for the microscope.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

22. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, super nice banking angle here. We get to see a beautiful top view but the direction of the head and intent stare make this even better.

Repost def looks better in terms of contrast. Wouldn't hurt my feelings if you richened up the sat on the bkg a little.

I do see the halo esp on the leading edges of the wings and above head on both monitors fwiw.

Well done my friend!

24. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

No nits from me Artie...love it! I'd love it even more if I could get something as good...still working on that!(and I read some time ago that you felt you weren't a good bif photographer!)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Burdett View Post
    No nits from me Artie...love it! I'd love it even more if I could get something as good...still working on that!(and I read some time ago that you felt you weren't a good bif photographer!)
    Thanks, Paul. I wasn't until I got SONY. I am good at anticipating flight patterns and knowing where the birds are going but the motor skills are somewhat lacking. I had to move this bird back on the frame a bit. I am constantly telling myself, "Pan faster!" In most f my flight images the bird is towards the left side of the frame; but I am still practicing.

with love, artie

ps: it is a huge pleasure not to have to pray for a sharp image when you get a great flight pose ... When you get one that is NOT sharp on the eye with SONY the is a big shock. Sorry :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the pose, the color look good for a caracara, they plumage is dark and making lighter than the repost is not the right thing to do IMO. sharp with good details. I only wish you had a colorful BG, they must come lower to grab bait no?

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    I like the pose, the color look good for a caracara, they plumage is dark and making lighter than the repost is not the right thing to do IMO. sharp with good details. I only wish you had a colorful BG, they must come lower to grab bait no?

TFS
    Thanks, Arash. The do come down low but without banking ...

with love, artie