Thread: White on White Flash Flight

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default White on White Flash Flight

Attached Images Attached Images

In a Zodiac on a rough morning with a huge feeding spree going on and gannets right above the boat, I created this image with the Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS lens (handheld at 100mm) and the EOS-1D MIII. Evaluative Metering +1 2/3 stops. Manual Flash at 1/1 with the Better Beamer.

I went with the flash at full power because when using High Speed Synch the flash output is cut drastically.

All comments welcome; don't be shy.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Axel Hildebrandt

Great to see both eyes and a fanned tail and the exposure looks great, too. The upper end of the gannet's left wing looks a bit jagged.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the textures and the details!! The sharpness in the head and eye contact is really what makes it for me. Must try your technique with the flash.

Judy Lynn Malloch

Beautiful flight pose with spot on exposure . Really like the fact that you can see both eyes. Thanks Artie for the info on the flash.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the pose, and appreciate how you share with us how you approach the creation of your images. Sometime images created in this situation look dull....this has vibrance.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great image as posted Artie although I would like to see this at a larger size to better appreciate the details.

Seeing this reminds me of my afternoon with gannets in Nova Scotia last August.

Forum Participant Manos Papadomanolakis's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like the eye contact and the wing position!!!

Vincent Grafhorst

Nice image Artie. Looking at your settings I would have thought this would turn out completely over exposed, even with high sync. What was your Aperture and SS, did you use aperture priority or manual mode? Maybe a silly question but what is the advantage of using manual flash in this case? Isn't it more controllable to use ETTL (with a higher output)? Thanks.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Grafhorst View Post
    Nice image Artie. Looking at your settings I would have thought this would turn out completely over exposed, even with high sync. What was your Aperture and SS, did you use aperture priority or manual mode? Maybe a silly question but what is the advantage of using manual flash in this case? Isn't it more controllable to use ETTL (with a higher output)? Thanks.
    1/2500 at f/4. (I was sure that I posted that...) I was in Av mode for this image. The advantage of using manual flash at 1:1 as I understand it is that the flash is putting out full power. At 1/2500 sec. the flash needs to fire three times (with High Speed Synch). Thus, as above, flash output (and therefore its range) is drastically reduced. This technique really works well on sunny days. In dull conditions I often use the flash in ETTL at -1 or zero and shutter speeds from 1/500 to 1/1250 sec., but here I wanted a really fast shutter speed as the boat was rocking.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the guidelines on using High speed flash. I always wondered why my -2/3 adjustment didn't do anything to help. Also thanks for the comments on the bald eagle.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie,

Another flash question.

Did you have the flash on the camera hotshoe? Did you use a Better Beamer or other device?

Eleanor

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor Kee Wellman View Post
    Artie, Another flash question. Did you have the flash on the camera hotshoe? Did you use a Better Beamer or other device? Eleanor
    I no longer use a flash bracket when doing handheld flight with intermediate telephoto lenses; the flash goes right in the hot shoe. Bad for sales :) but much lighter and easier to work with. With a flash bracket, there is a lot of torque which makes things tough. I did use a Better Beamer as noted in the original post.

MichaelAlmon

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    1/2500 at f/4. (I was sure that I posted that...) I was in Av mode for this image. The advantage of using manual flash at 1:1 as I understand it is that the flash is putting out full power. At 1/2500 sec. the flash needs to fire three times (with High Speed Synch). Thus, as above, flash output (and therefore its range) is drastically reduced. This technique really works well on sunny days. In dull conditions I often use the flash in ETTL at -1 or zero and shutter speeds from 1/500 to 1/1250 sec., but here I wanted a really fast shutter speed as the boat was rocking.
    Dear Artie,

First time visitor to this site so please bear with me:-) I am a little confused at reading "1/2500 at f/4 in AV mode. I just tried Av mode and when I put my 580EX flash (in manual mode) on my Mark IIn on AV f4, it goes automatically to shutter speed of 1/250. I don't understand how you can get a shutter speed of 1/2500 in AV mode with the flash set on manual mode?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie,
    What a wonderful shot. I too was wondering what the settings were. Thank you for the details in your later post. I really am very excited about learning all of this stuff. I can't wait for your book ABPII to arrive, nor can I wait for your first book ABPI to be reprinted.
    I love the colors in these shots. That bird is so photogenic isn't it? hehehe You've done a masterful job of portraying this species and I look forward to all of your posts. Excellent job on getting both eyes here. They really stand out. As for the flash, COOL! I'll have to try that. As mentioned when you put the flash on the camera it does drop the shutter speed to 250 but off camera manually is a very brilliant idea. Thanks for sharing this info with us. You ROCK!!

Sharna

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelAlmon View Post
    Dear Artie,

First time visitor to this site so please bear with me:-) I am a little confused at reading "1/2500 at f/4 in AV mode. I just tried Av mode and when I put my 580EX flash (in manual mode) on my Mark IIn on AV f4, it goes automatically to shutter speed of 1/250. I don't understand how you can get a shutter speed of 1/2500 in AV mode with the flash set on manual mode?
    Hi Michael, No probelma; we are here to help. You missed the fine print: High Speed Synch. In order to get your camera to fire at shutter speeds higher than your camera's synch speed, you need to set High Speed Synch on your flash. In the row of four buttons on the back of the flash, the third one, from left ot right, is the High Speed Synch/Rear Curtain button. Depress it once and the HIgh Speed Synch symbol (a lightening bolt in front of a small capital H) appears either to the right of the ETTL symbol or just above and to the left of the Manual Flash ratio, for example 1:1. Press it again and the Rear Curtain Synch symbol appears just above and on the left side of the distance range scale. Perss it again and neither symbol appears.

Once the High Speed Synch symbol appears, you will be able to set shutter speeds higher than the camera's synch speed. Here's how High Speed Synch works: If your camera's synch speed is 1/250 sec., and you set your shutter speed to 1/500 sec., then the flash has to fire twice during the exposure. And so on and so forth as you choose higher and higher shutter speeds. Heres the rub: the higher the shutter speed that you choose, the more the flash output is reduced. That is why I almost always set the flash to 1:1 in Manual Mode when do High Speed Synch flight flash; in effect, the flash is going nowhere at 1/2500 sec so you mazimize the flash output by setting 1:1 (full power) in Manual Mode.

I am going to copy this thread to Educational Resources and title it High Speed Synch. Thanks for asking a good question.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sharna Lee
    Artie, What a wonderful shot. I too was wondering what the settings were. Thank you for the details in your later post. I really am very excited about learning all of this stuff. I can't wait for your book ABPII to arrive, nor can I wait for your first book ABPI to be reprinted. I love the colors in these shots. That bird is so photogenic isn't it? hehehe You've done a masterful job of portraying this species and I look forward to all of your posts. Excellent job on getting both eyes here. They really stand out. As for the flash, COOL! I'll have to try that. As mentioned when you put the flash on the camera it does drop the shutter speed to 250 but off camera manually is a very brilliant idea. Thanks for sharing this info with us. You ROCK!!
    Sharna

Hey Sharna, Thanks for your kind words. Do read the High Speed Synch explanation just above as you are slightly confused: It is the setting of High Speed Synhch on the flash that allows the use of the higher shutter speeds...

MichaelAlmon

Hi Michael, No probelma; we are here to help. You missed the fine print: High Speed Synch. In order to get your camera to fire at shutter speeds higher than your camera's synch speed, you need to set High Speed Synch on your flash. In the row of four buttons on the back of the flash, the third one, from left ot right, is the High Speed Synch/Rear Curtain button. Depress it once and the HIgh Speed Synch symbol (a lightening bolt in front of a small capital H) appears either to the right of the ETTL symbol or just above and to the left of the Manual Flash ratio, for example 1:1. Press it again and the Rear Curtain Synch symbol appears just above and on the left side of the distance range scale. Perss it again and neither symbol appears.

Once the High Speed Synch symbol appears, you will be able to set shutter speeds higher than the camera's synch speed. Here's how High Speed Synch works: If your camera's synch speed is 1/250 sec., and you set your shutter speed to 1/500 sec., then the flash has to fire twice during the exposure. And so on and so forth as you choose higher and higher shutter speeds. Heres the rub: the higher the shutter speed that you choose, the more the flash output is reduced. That is why I almost always set the flash to 1:1 in Manual Mode when do High Speed Synch flight flash; in effect, the flash is going nowhere at 1/2500 sec so you mazimize the flash output by setting 1:1 (full power) in Manual Mode.

I am going to copy this thread to Educational Resources and title it High Speed Synch. Thanks for asking a good question.
    Dear Artie,

It must have been like this sometimes when you were a teacher...a student like me:-( Ok I pressed the high speed synch button on the 580EX flash and have it in manual mode 1/1 and I got the symbol up and with my camera on AV and aperature set to f4, ISO at 200, the camera read 1/8000 second shutter speed?!? For the life of me I can't see how to adjust the shutter speed while the camera is in AV mode? I would think you would have to be in Manual (Camera) mode or TV mode to be able to adjust the shutter speed. Sorry for my lack of understanding on this Art.
    Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelAlmon View Post
    Dear Artie, It must have been like this sometimes when you were a teacher...a student like me:-( Ok I pressed the high speed synch button on the 580EX flash and have it in manual mode 1/1 and I got the symbol up and with my camera on AV and aperature set to f4, ISO at 200, the camera read 1/8000 second shutter speed?!? For the life of me I can't see how to adjust the shutter speed while the camera is in AV mode? I would think you would have to be in Manual (Camera) mode or TV mode to be able to adjust the shutter speed. Sorry for my lack of understanding on this Art.Mike
    All Canon cameras prior to both MIII bodies will default to 1/8000 sec. if you are in AV Mode. It makes zero sense, but that is what is. Simply switch to Manual exposure mode and you will be fine. Best to do this outdooors or you will be getting reading too low to show plus compensation.

Are you familiar with working in Manual Mode?

At this point I would strongly recommend getting a copy of ABP II (916 pages on CD only).

MichaelAlmon

All Canon cameras prior to both MIII bodies will default to 1/8000 sec. if you are in AV Mode. It makes zero sense, but that is what is. Simply switch to Manual exposure mode and you will be fine. Best to do this outdooors or you will be getting reading too low to show plus compensation.

Are you familiar with working in Manual Mode?

At this point I would strongly recommend getting a copy of ABP II (916 pages on CD only).
    Ok Art now I get it! I am quite familiar with manual and actually tried that before I wrote you but I couldn't get my head around using it in AV and having control over the shutter speed. Thanks so much for clarifying it for me!
    Have a great day!
    Mike

PS. I do have ABP II and it is great. I must confess though that flash photography still mystifies me at times.