Thread: Red Knot-wings up!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red Knot-wings up!

Attached Images Attached Images

Took this at South Bar which is about 5 miles from my home. It was a spot I had never visited until COVID forced me to look closer to home. It has been a real haven for shorebirds.
    Canon 1 DX 3 600mm and 1.4 x
    ISO 800 F 6.3 SS 1/2000
    Crop to 70% FF. Nothing added or cloned.
    Processed In LR and PS CC- reduced highlights in tali area.levels, curves, NR with Topaz to RAW and USM to JPEG
    Comments and critiques always learned from and appreciated with thanks,
    Gail
    PS I should have cloned out the extra catchlight in eye.
    Last edited by gail bisson; 09-17-2020 at 11:50 AM.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's a lovely image Gail, colours exposure etc spot on.

You indicate Topaz NR to the jpeg this is a real no no in my book! I would suggest always to the raw file that has had nothing done other than colour temp/balance and exposure - blacks, whites, (NO sharpening or NR in LR) then apply Topaz then go back to LR to make any tweaks for colours clarity filters etc then onwards to PSCC. The reason for this being that you have done nothing to the raw file to increase noise before you try to remove it.

Hi Jon,
    I did not use Denoise on the JPEG. Used it on the RAW. Sorry my text caused confusion. I will fix it!
    Last edited by gail bisson; 09-17-2020 at 11:49 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon,
    I did not use Denoise on the JPEG. Used it on the RAW. Sorry my text caused confusion. I will fix it!
    Gail
    PS Ooops I posted my answer on directly on your post. Sorry again!

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi Gail, love the shot, especially the patterns on the undersize wing. Lovely water, POV, and HA. Lovely image.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the low intimate POV with usual creamy BG. Only very minor nit is loss of detail in tail area. TFS

ps
    Not sure why, but I love the darker base and ceiling.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gail, light, pose, pov all give me the feels. This is a super frame and composed beautifully.

I think the whites on the body appear a touch strong in a couple areas because of the reflection. Just curious if you were able to work any more detail out of those ares. I wouldn't complain about it a bit, though if it were in my files :-)

Overall I love this frame and didn't even notice the second catchlight until you mentioned it.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Gail, this is a super image, love the colour palette, composition and the low POV is bang on point to me. Loosing the two white vertical streaks would help, but you have far greater detail in the wing plumage, really exquisite even at this low res with 256 colours you can get a lot more detail, so perhaps if you have time it might be worth a revisit to really maximise on what you captured?

Again, just curious, but why NR on ISO800, unless under exposed, last week I was shooting at ISO2000 and no NR applied, the MKIII is awesome, so is there any real need?

Well done again.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve,
    Wow! You certainly did get lots more detail out of the plumage. I can certainly fix my OP.I am always leery of pushing DE and other such things too far but I should have in this case.
    I did not underexpose the image. I like to do a teeny tiny bit of NR just to smooth out the BG a bit. I just like the look but I could have easily gotten away with not doing any NR. Just a personal taste thing,
    Thanks for the repost,
    Gail

QUOTE=Steve Kaluski;1244628]Hi Gail, this is a super image, love the colour palette, composition and the low POV is bang on point to me. Loosing the two white vertical streaks would help, but you have far greater detail in the wing plumage, really exquisite even at this low res with 256 colours you can get a lot more detail, so perhaps if you have time it might be worth a revisit to really maximise on what you captured?

Again, just curious, but why NR on ISO800, unless under exposed, last week I was shooting at ISO2000 and no NR applied, the MKIII is awesome, so is there any real need?

Well done again.

TFS
    Steve[/QUOTE]

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am always leery of pushing DE and other such things too far but I should have in this case.
    Hi Gail, glad you like it. I never use DE, personally I find it 'pants' compared to using PS, it's just such an awesome tool that folk really need to grasp because it does so much, but each to their own. Again NR, your call, but at ISO 800 are you really seeing any grain, I bet if you/I printed it out at 20x30 it will be super smooth.

Cheers
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What do you mean by PS? I thought you meant Photoshop but you are talking about something else.
    Also, had a good laugh at your response to my "what is the red?" in your previous post!
    Gail
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Gail, glad you like it. I never use DE, personally I find it 'pants' compared to using PS, it's just such an awesome tool that folk really need to grasp because it does so much, but each to their own. Again NR, your call, but at ISO 800 are you really seeing any grain, I bet if you/I printed it out at 20x30 it will be super smooth.

Cheers
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

PS is just the abbreviation of Photoshop.

Glad you liked the reply and took it in the spirit, good to have a chuckle every now and then, life can be too serious at times.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the pose. Nice low angle. Light is nice as well.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like others - what's not to love about this pose with that wing extension. Like the pooled water on the feet as well.... nice low angle too. As always - very lovely.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

love the raised wings, low angle BG and light. I'd prefer it a bit warmer

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog