Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon EOS-1D Mark IV/First Impressions

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Canon EOS-1D Mark IV/First Impressions

While I was in New York two weeks ago, I was privileged to receive two of the new cameras for testing. Bound by an NDA (non-disclosure agreement), I could not say boo. Till now.

The camera was announced yesterday. My impression is that Canon is back with a vengeance. The all-new AF system is fast and accurate without any of the inconsistency or jumpiness of the early MIII AF. Most of the sensors are cross-types. I am not big on the technical stuff but I do know that the camera focuses really well. It holds focus most of the time with backgrounds other than sky and holds focus nearly all of the time even when the sensor slips off the subect; I had many sharp images even when the central sensor was nowhere near the subject. I did set the custom function for AI Servo Tracking Sensitivity to Slow. Otherwise the CFs were set up the same as my MIII bodies.

The camera is very similar to the MIII so folks who have owned that body will not have much of a learning curve. Folks who never used a MIII will surely benefit from getting a copy of our MIII User's Guide. I will update and rename it soon after I get my hands on the camera.

Canon users will once again have the option to be able to manually select any one of the 45 points. That is a Godsend for me when working with static subjects.

I created RAW + Large JPEGs as I knew that I would not be able convert the RAW images; all of the images that I optimized were from the extracted JPEG.s (I was not positive until just now but as it turns out the extracted JPEGs were indeed the Large sized ones; after optimizing them I saved them as TIFFs.) Alfred noted that I should be able to convert them as DNG files but that is something that I would rather not do. The downloads for the MIV will be out some time....

With permission of my contact at Canon, I posted several MIV images here and was in the process of posting several more when when he called and asked me to take them all down. Canon was not keen on my posting images that were made with a pre-production body. I have written him and hope to have the images back up in a day or two if at all possible. Please do not ask me why because I do not know :)

Noise. Everyone wants to know about the noise. It looked great at ISO 1600 and I even had one that I liked at ISO 12,800. It did show some noise as expected but it looked more than useable to me. I did not have a chance to use much besides ISO 400, 800, 1600, and 12,800 as mentioned above. When I used the latter ISO in really dark pre-dawn conditions more noise was evident than when I used it on a cloudy afternoon.

You can find the manufacturer's info on the Mark IV here: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=19584

I have two on order; I have heard something about December deliveries. Bummer; I was hoping to have one for Bosque.... The camera does video and I hope to at least learn the basics of video capture when I get mine....

The 16.1 megapixel files looked pretty darned good for JPEGs; the color is great and the image files superb.

I am racking my brain trying to remember some more stuff on the camera but I am drawing a blank. Questions might stimulate my brain but remember I only had the camera for six days and one of them was spent on a plane...
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Axel Hildebrandt

I don't know if you would be able to compare the noise levels of Mark III and IV, pretty much the same or is one of the two better? Compared with the Mark III, how does AF work with BIF and varying BGs?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Noise: I will withhold comparing until I can see the MIV AW files converted... To me the AF seemed far superior against all BKGRs. Final (and honest) answer.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Arite,

Thanks for posting this, I am glad you mention the infamous AI-servo instability problem has been solved and that it can hold focus against foliage, it is a big step forward for Canon. I have two further questions I would appreciate if you can elaborate

1) What lens did you use for field-testing the MK IV? Was it a f/2.8 aperture or a f/4, I am asking because Canon is telling us the non-center AF points are only cross-type with f/2.8 lenses and some select f/4 lenses, the list of which does not include 500 and 600. I wonder how the static AF accuracy is for these points with 500 f/4 L IS.

2) Have you also had a chance to shoot with the 7D? What is your take on that especially when tracking against foliage?

Thanks
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Alfred Forns

Artie you can work on the raw files by converting to DNG. LR does it but if you don't have it just download the DNG converter from Adobe, its free and easy to use.

When converting you can specify to end up with just a DNG file or DNG plus original RAW Image.

I thought about converting everything (eliminated the sidecar) but contest require the RAW file.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Arash,

re:

Thanks for posting this, I am glad you mention the infamous AI-servo instability problem has been solved and that it can hold focus against foliage, it is a big step forward for Canon.

Remember, that is my opinion after only a short test period. It is, however, my honest opinion. That said I am anxious to learn of the perceptions of others.

I have two further questions I would appreciate if you can elaborate

YAW.

1) What lens did you use for field-testing the MK IV? Was it a f/2.8 aperture or a f/4, I am asking because Canon is telling us the non-center AF points are only cross-type with f/2.8 lenses and some select f/4 lenses, the list of which does not include 500 and 600. I wonder how the static AF accuracy is for these points with 500 f/4 L IS.

I have never paid much attention to those matters... I do not currently own any 2.8 lenses. I used the camera with the 400 DO and with the 800 with and without the 1.4TC. I would expect static accuracy to be right on; I never had a problem with that even with the original MIII bodies....

2) Have you also had a chance to shoot with the 7D? What is your take on that especially when tracking against foliage?

I have never even seen one. :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred Forns View Post
    Artie you can work on the raw files by converting to DNG. LR does it but if you don't have it just download the DNG converter from Adobe, its free and easy to use. When converting you can specify to end up with just a DNG file or DNG plus original RAW Image. I thought about converting everything (eliminated the sidecar) but contest require the RAW file.
    Thanks Alfred. As you know, I am not much of a technical person.... I will have Robert take a peek at this when he comes over this week.

Can you save a DNG file as a TIFF?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Artie, I loom forward to seeing your samples as well.

Visit my blog

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie thanks for your thoughts on the MKIV looking forward to a Holiday delivery ! Maybe Canon will loan you one for Bosque.

Sorry we missed you on LI, glad your mom is doing well.

I think we get to see you for at NWPLI in DEC ?

Lou

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Thanks Alfred. As you know, I am not much of a technical person.... I will have Robert take a peek at this when he comes over this week.

Can you save a DNG file as a TIFF?
    Yes you can.

Alfred Forns

Artie the DNG is just a different kind of RAW

If you are concerned about the images just have the program convert and keep the original.

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axel Hildebrandt View Post
    I don't know if you would be able to compare the noise levels of Mark III and IV, pretty much the same or is one of the two better?
    For all but the lowest signals, noise per pixel will scale with pixel size:
    1DIII has 7.2 micron pixels, the 1DIV has 5.7 micron pixels.
    So the 1DIII will see (7.2/5.7)^2 = 1.6 higher signal (unless quantum efficiency is changed; most likely is is very close to the same). Noise will be square root of that, so 7.2/5.7 = 1.3 better noise, so the 1DIII will have 1.3x higher signal-to-noise ratio per pixel. With more pixels, the 1DIV images will look better when signal levels are high. For lower signals (shadows and high ISO) we'll have to wait and see what the read noise and fixed pattern noises are. With the claimed 100,000+ ISO, there is an implications the read and fixed pattern noise are improved. We can hope.

Roger

Threads
    Thank You Posts

New Canon sensors have improved much in terms of circuit design, the optimization of M1 and M2 routing as well use of a newly patented highly transmissive polymer in the CFA combined with careful micro lens design has improved cell fill factor by a noticeable figure. Internal cell quantum efficiency has also improved by cleaner junctions thanks to improved fabrication process. The new sensors also feature better on-chip CDS. Improvements in these three key areas has enabled Canon to achieve a higher pre-quantization SNR in the new sensors despite smaller pixels.
    I was actually surprised when I first compared the RAW files of the 7D to my 50D, later on I learned about these improvements and I would not be surprised if MKIV can outperform MKIII in noise performance, nevertheless we should wait and see but I am much more optimistic than I was before I had tried the 7D. ISO 100,000 sounds like fantasy but a usable 6400 or 12,800 is very possible.

Here is the Nikon D3s at 102,400 not clean but usable for small 1024 pixel web posts
    Last edited by arash_hazeghi; 10-21-2009 at 05:18 AM.

Visit my blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by LouBuonomo View Post
    Artie thanks for your thoughts on the MKIV looking forward to a Holiday delivery ! Maybe Canon will loan you one for Bosque. Sorry we missed you on LI, glad your mom is doing well.
    I think we get to see you for at NWPLI in DEC ? Lou
    YAW and thanks. And yes, I will be doing a program for WPLI on December 8th.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I received this via e-mail from CPS (Canon Professional Services) this morning:

Dear Arthur Morris,

INTRODUCING THE ULTIMATE MULTIMEDIA IMAGING SOLUTION:
    THE NEW CANON EOS-1D MARK IV DIGITAL SLR CAMERA
    The EOS-1D Mark IV Features a Completely Redesigned 45-Point Autofocus System, Fast 10 fps Continuous Shooting, 16-Megapixel Resolution, Outstanding ISO Sensitivity, and Full HD Video Recording at Selectable Frame Rates

LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y., October 20, 2009 – Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging, is proud to introduce the next evolution in the EOS 1D series of cameras: the Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Digital SLR camera. The EOS-1D Mark IV is a high-speed multimedia performance monster with a 16-megapixel Canon CMOS sensor, Dual DIGIC 4 Imaging Processors, and 14-bit A/D data conversion, all at 10 frames-per-second (fps), with the widest ISO range Canon has produced to date. This new camera also features 1080p Full High-Definition video capture at selectable frame rates packaged in Canon’s most rugged and durable professional camera body.

The crowning achievement of Canon’s 1D Mark IV Digital SLR is its new autofocus system that starts with 45 AF points including 39 high-precision cross-type focusing points capable of tracking fast moving athletes or wildlife accurately at speeds up to 10 frames per second. With greater subject detection capability than ever before plus a newly redesigned AI Servo II AF predictive focusing algorithm, the Canon EOS-1D Mark IV camera sets new standards for autofocus performance among professional digital SLRs. Whether shooting for the six o’clock news or the front page, the EOS-1D Mark IV Digital SLR is the quintessential camera to freeze fast-moving action with high-speed stills or capture stunning HD video with dynamic color and image quality. To accompany the new EOS-1D Mark IV Digital SLR camera, Canon is also announcing a new accessory, the WFT-E2 II A wireless file transmitter providing photographers with a wide range of professional digital connectivity options.

“Canon works hard to be the imaging leader in all our business endeavors. This goal has fueled our innovation and R&D efforts to engineer the most advanced autofocus system Canon has ever produced. We are proud to announce the camera that will deliver the ultimate in imaging quality to professionals working in all areas of multimedia imaging, whether it’s action photography, photojournalism or HD video and cinematography,” stated Yuichi Ishizuka, senior vice president and general manager, Consumer Imaging Group, Canon U.S.A.

The Canon EOS-1D Mark IV camera will intrigue professional photographers in virtually every category from photojournalism and sports through nature, wedding, portrait and fashion to commercial, industrial and law enforcement. What makes the EOS-1D Mark IV camera different from its predecessors, in addition to numerous focusing system and image quality improvements, is its exceptional Full HD video capture capability. With this new level of functionality, the 1D Mark IV Digital SLR is destined to appeal not only to professional still photographers but also to a diverse market of professional videographers and filmmakers who are looking for exceptional Full HD video quality, amazing low-light performance, outstanding portability and a level of durability unheard of in most HD video cameras in this price range.

New 45-Point Autofocus System
    The new EOS-1D Mark IV Digital SLR camera features Canon’s most advanced Autofocus system to date. It is equipped with a newly developed 45-point AF sensor featuring 39 high-precision cross-type AF points, and an all new AI Servo II AF mode that gives still photographers the power and performance to track and focus a fast-moving subject at speeds up to 10 frames per second. With more than twice as many cross-type focusing points as the EOS-1D Mark III and a new AF sensor construction that improves performance in low light and with low contrast subjects, the EOS-1D Mark IV has greater subject detection capabilities than any previous EOS model. To complete the range of AF improvements, Canon has developed a new AI Servo II AF predictive focusing algorithm that significantly improves responsiveness and stability by making better decisions on focus tracking in a variety of shooting conditions.

Amazing High ISO Performance
    Wedding and event photographers shooting in low light without the benefit of a flash can take advantage of Canon’s widest ISO range and highest performance ever. The EOS-1D Mark IV camera’s ISO speed settings range from 100 up to 12,800 in 1/3 or 1/2 stop increments with ISO Expansion settings of L: 50 for bright light or H1: 25,600, H2: 51,200, and H3: 102,400 for even the most dimly lit situations. Photographers and documentary filmmakers working in available light will be impressed by the low-noise image quality of the 1D Mark IV, capturing amazing still images and video footage even at speed settings as high as ISO 12,800. High ISO, low light still images are further enhanced by Canon’s adjustable High ISO Noise Reduction feature, now a default setting in the camera.

The EOS-1D Mark IV, EOS HD Video Powerhouse
    Over the past year, Canon’s EOS HD Video technology has changed the way users capture 1080p HD video and opened new doors for multimedia journalists and Hollywood cinematographers alike with full manual exposure control, selectable frame rates, and interchangeable lenses on some of the largest and most sensitive image sensors on the market. Canon continues this innovation trend with the new EOS-1D Mark IV Digital SLR with Full HD capture and full manual exposure control, plus selectable frame rates on an all-new
    APS-H-sized image sensor that’s similar in size to a Super 35mm motion picture film frame. The large sensor allows filmmakers to achieve shallow depth-of-field just as cinematographers have traditionally done using much higher-cost motion picture equipment.

The more than 50 Canon EF lenses compatible with the EOS-1D Mark IV give videographers incredible creative options, including an impressive selection of large-aperture professional L-series primes as well as zoom lenses, macro, Tilt-Shift and Fisheye optics. The Canon EOS-1D Mark IV allows for three video recording resolutions – 1080p Full HD and 720p HD in a 16:9 aspect ratio and Standard Definition (SD) in a 4:3 aspect ratio. The camera will record Full HD at 1920 x 1080 in selectable frame rates of 24p (23.976), 25p, or 30p (29.97); and 720p HD or SD video recording at either 50p or 60p (59.94). SD video can be recorded in either NTSC or PAL standards. Sound is recorded either through the internal monaural microphone or via optional external microphones connected to the stereo microphone input. The camera also provides an in-camera video editing function allowing users to remove the start or ending of a video clip directly in the camera to eliminate unwanted footage and speed up post-production.

Image Quality and Performance
    The heart of the EOS-1D Mark IV camera’s outstanding image quality is a newly developed 16.1-Megapixel CMOS sensor featuring Canon’s latest and most advanced proprietary technologies. These technologies include improved photodiode construction to enhance dynamic range and gapless microlenses that are positioned closer to the photodiodes for improved light gathering efficiency. The transmissive quality of the color filter array has been enhanced to improve sensitivity. Canon has also upgraded the sensor circuitry to improve noise reduction before the image data is exported from the CMOS sensor to the rest of the image processing chain.

With 60 percent more pixels than the EOS-1D Mark III, the EOS-1D Mark IV Digital SLR employs Dual DIGIC 4 Image Processors with approximately six times the processing power of DIGIC III for full 14-bit A/D conversion at 10 fps. High-speed continuous shooting up to 121 Large JPEGs is possible using a UDMA CF card. This camera also features three RAW shooting modes for versatility with Full RAW (approx. 16 million pixels), M-RAW (approx. nine million pixels), and S-RAW (approx. four million pixels). Three additional JPEG recording formats (M1, M2 and Small) are also available.

The 14-bit per channel conversion facilitated by the dual DIGIC 4 Processors provides smoother tonalities in final images capturing all 16,384 distinct tones in each channel (red, green and blue) at the full 10 fps frame rate. RAW images shot on the new Canon EOS-1D Mark IV use the entire 14-bit space when converted to 16-bit TIFF files in Canon Digital Photo Professional (DPP) software, which is supplied with the camera at no extra charge. The 14-bit A/D conversion is also the foundation for Canon’s Highlight Tone Priority feature that takes maximum advantage of the camera’s extensive dynamic range to preserve detail in highlight areas of the image. Canon’s new EOS-1D Mark IV Digital SLR also features an improved white balance algorithm making colors more accurate when shooting under low color temperature light sources such as household tungsten lamps.

The EOS-1D Mark IV Digital SLR features Canon’s Peripheral Illumination Correction function which corrects darkening that can occur in the corners of images with most lenses when used at their largest apertures. When activated, it is automatically applied to JPEG images and video clips as they are shot. For RAW images, it can be applied in DPP software.

Other new features include a large three-inch solid structure Clear View II LCD screen with 920,000 dot/VGA resolution and a wide 160-degree viewing angle for enhanced clarity and more precise color when reviewing images and shooting video. The new in-camera copyright information feature helps professionals secure control over images by setting copyright data directly into the camera and appending that information to each image file in the Exif metadata. Additional features include a fluorine coating on the Low Pass Filter to further repel dust and enhance the EOS Integrated Cleaning System.

Minimize Post-Production with Enhanced Canon Auto Lighting Optimizer
    Action photography truly is all about speed, capturing a fast subject with fast focusing and fast frame rates. However, all this speed might be wasted if it is slowed down by lengthy post-production procedures to adjust image quality. The EOS-1D Mark IV Digital SLR helps reduce post-production work with a powerful new Auto Lighting Optimizer (ALO) system. When enabled, Canon’s ALO automatically adjusts the image for optimal brightness and contrast on the fly during in-camera image processing, reducing clipped highlights while keeping shadowed areas as clear and detailed as they actually appear. By optimizing brightness and contrast in-camera, Canon’s ALO system significantly reduces the need for post-production image optimization, and gives photographers image quality they can take directly to press. Demanding professional photographers who tested ALO clearly stated that this one feature will reduce their post-production image optimization process by more than 75 percent. Canon’s ALO works with both RAW[i] and JPEG images as well as video recording.

Rugged Reliability
    Canon has taken every measure to ensure that the EOS-1D Mark IV Digital SLR camera has the highest degree of weather resistance in the EOS line. The 1D Mark IV camera incorporates a wide range of design features that enhance its durability and reliability for professional assignments. For example, the 1D Mark IV’s body, chassis and lens mount are completely weather-resistant and 76 gaskets and seals surround all buttons and seams. The body covers and internal chassis, including the mirror box, are constructed with magnesium-alloy, one of the strongest and rigid metals available for its weight. For added strength, the lens mount is constructed with stainless steel. In fact, when used with Canon’s Speedlite 580EX II and/or most current L-series lenses, the entire camera system remains fully weather resistant, so professionals can concentrate on getting the shot instead of worrying about protecting their gear.

New Wireless Connectivity
    Canon is announcing the availability of the new WFT-E2 II A* wireless file transmitter exclusively for the EOS-1D Mark IV Digital SLR camera. The WFT-E2 II A wireless transmitter is an extremely small and versatile device that offers professional photographers a wide range of digital connectivity options including IEEE802.11a/b/g and Ethernet, ideal for commercial and studio work. In addition to adding the ability to connect to wireless networks over 802.11a, the new WFT-E2 II A adds a wealth of new professional features to the photographer’s tool kit. The new Camera Linking feature allows a single photographer to simultaneously fire up to 10 cameras remotely; and the updated WFT Server mode lets you remotely use Live View, control settings, and fire the EOS-1D Mark IV over the internet from anywhere in the world using a standard Web browser or many Web-enabled smart phones. Additionally, geotagging is now possible via Bluetooth, using compatible GPS devices to append coordinate data to the images.

Pricing and Availability
    The Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Digital SLR camera is scheduled to be delivered to U.S. dealers in late December, and will be sold in a body-only configuration at an estimated retail price of $4,999.00[ii]. Final pricing and availability for the Canon WFT-E2 II A wireless file transmitter will be available later this year.

Canon Digital Learning Center
    Online visitors and Web surfers are encouraged to browse the Canon Digital Learning Center and take advantage of the various educational resources that Canon has to offer for novices and advanced photographers alike. The Canon Digital Learning Center provides a schedule for a wide variety of Live Learning classes across the country with renowned photographers as well as online resources and tips. The site also features online tutorials for beginners and professionals to learn their way around a digital SLR camera and inkjet printer and unlock the full creative control of digital photography. To learn more about each program and register, please visit: www.usa.canon.com/canonlivelearning

About Canon U.S.A., Inc.
    Canon U.S.A., Inc., is a leading provider of consumer, business-to-business, and industrial digital imaging solutions. Its parent company, Canon Inc. (NYSE:CAJ), a top patent holder of technology, ranked third overall in the U.S. in 2008†, with global revenues of US $45 billion, is listed as number four in the computer industry on Fortune Magazine's World’s Most Admired Companies 2009 list, and is on the 2009 BusinessWeek list of "100 Best Global Brands." Canon U.S.A. is committed to the highest levels of customer satisfaction and loyalty, providing 100 percent U.S.-based consumer service and support for all of the products it distributes. At Canon, we care because caring is essential to living together in harmony. Founded upon a corporate philosophy of Kyosei – "all people, regardless of race, religion or culture, harmoniously living and working together into the future" – Canon U.S.A. supports a number of social, youth, educational and other programs, including environmental and recycling initiatives. Additional information about these programs can be found at www.usa.canon.com/kyosei. To keep apprised of the latest news from Canon U.S.A., sign up for the Company's RSS news feed by visiting www.usa.canon.com/rss.

†Based on weekly patent counts issued by United States Patent and Trademark Office.

# # #
    * This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained.

Specifications and availability are subject to change without notice.
    All referenced product names, and other marks, are trademarks of their respective owners.

[i] When processed in Canon Digital Photo Professional software.
    [ii] Pricing subject to change at any time. Actual prices are determined by individual dealers and may vary.

Michael Pancier

Artie, just curious cause I don't see it in the lit, does the Mark IV have the electronic grid overlay like the 7d which eliminates the need to purchase a separate grid focusing screen? Or do you have to purchase separate screen like earlier models?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mike, Not that I know of.... Would I have seen it simply looking through the viewfinder?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

BTW, I forgot to mention my biggest disappointment with the MIV: Canon's continued refusal to put a white or yellow line, outline, or box around the histogram so that those of us who use the cameras outdoors could actually see the borders of the histogram. I have been suggesting that since the original EOS-1D.....

Michael Pancier

Mike, Not that I know of.... Would I have seen it simply looking through the viewfinder?
    Artie in the 7d, it's a menu option where you can overlay 3x3 or 2x2 grid in both the viewfinder and in live view thereby eliminating the need for separate focusing grid screen. So you would only see it if you enabled it.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

BTW, I forgot to mention my biggest disappointment with the MIV: Canon's continued refusal to put a white or yellow line, outline, or box around the histogram so that those of us who use the cameras outdoors could actually see the borders of the histogram. I have been suggesting that since the original EOS-1D.....
    Agreed. But what would be even better is being able to look at the histogram(s) full screen on the camera display. Can't imagine any reason why that shouldn't be possible. JR

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Pancier View Post
    Artie in the 7d, it's a menu option where you can overlay 3x3 or 2x2 grid in both the viewfinder and in live view thereby eliminating the need for separate focusing grid screen. So you would only see it if you enabled it.
    I did not notice that in the menu but I may have missed it.... You would think, however, that you would be able to find some reference to it in the Canon literature...

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

with the 7D they changed something ( I forget the tech term) so the screen is better viewable in the outside light, I have not read but I would imagine thats also on the IV, maybe that will help out ?

but yeah thats a pretty simple thing to implement you would think

Sean Phillips

Canon have never been known to give us the simple things. Where are the options to change the number of images in a bracketed sequence on the non 1D bodies (currently locked at 3 images vs. the user selectable 3, 5, or 7 in the 1D's). Why not better control of Auto ISO (eg. minimum shutter speed, min / max ISO). These are all simple software changes that Canon refuses to provide.

Don't get me wrong, this looks like an amazing camera (and I've already ordered one!), but I wouldn't expect simple interface changes like that as Canon has shown that they are happy to leave the interface in its currently "optimized" state for each line of camera...

Emil Martinec

Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    New Canon sensors have improved much in terms of circuit design, the optimization of M1 and M2 routing as well use of a newly patented highly transmissive polymer in the CFA combined with careful micro lens design has improved cell fill factor by a noticeable figure. Internal cell quantum efficiency has also improved by cleaner junctions thanks to improved fabrication process. The new sensors also feature better on-chip CDS. Improvements in these three key areas has enabled Canon to achieve a higher pre-quantization SNR in the new sensors despite smaller pixels.
    I was actually surprised when I first compared the RAW files of the 7D to my 50D, later on I learned about these improvements and I would not be surprised if MKIV can outperform MKIII in noise performance, nevertheless we should wait and see but I am much more optimistic than I was before I had tried the 7D. ISO 100,000 sounds like fantasy but a usable 6400 or 12,800 is very possible.
    Is this information documented somewhere?

The 7D seems to represent a huge improvement in control of pattern noise (though most samples I've seen have a regular 8-periodic vertical line pattern in black frames -- likely a failure to calibrate offsets in the 8 readout channels; and a few samples have serious issue with poor gain calibration of the two green channels, likely a QC issue). My measurements seem to indicate that the 7D gain (photons per raw level) is a bit better per unit area than the previous generation (in plain language, the sensor is a bit more efficient in capturing light, assuming the ISO calibration hasn't changed); and the read noise is down to about 2.3 electrons at high ISO.

There's every reason to believe that these read noise benefits and sensor efficiencies have been carried over to the 1D4 and perhaps even improved a bit.

Michael Pancier

I did not notice that in the menu but I may have missed it.... You would think, however, that you would be able to find some reference to it in the Canon literature...
    Artie, I checked on DPPreview and they state that the focusing screens are interchangeable; grid only available electronically in live view.

So if I want my grid, I'll have to purchase another focusing screen. I wonder why they did not include they same electronic grid the 7d does.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Me too. I am often amazed not only with Canon but with other mfrs who introduce a great feature only to eliminate it in the next generation....

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am assuming Canon did not put the electronic grid in the 1D because they wanted to play it safe, and they did not want to spend the money to implement it

I dunno it seems like yet another small thing they left out to me but what do we know right :)

Michael Pancier

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Strickland View Post
    I am assuming Canon did not put the electronic grid in the 1D because they wanted to play it safe, and they did not want to spend the money to implement it

I dunno it seems like yet another small thing they left out to me but what do we know right :)
    The only thing I can think is that perhaps they wanted to leave the option to get more than just a grid screen.

The 7d only has 2 different type grids.

Christopher C.M. Cooke

Well I have ordered mine and paid a $1000 deposit on it to ensure I get one of the first batch in Australia (very brave of me as I as yet do not have a final price of the camera)

I agree with many and Artie that Canon go all out to produce a wonderfull Flagship but fail in the little things a la Titanic (not enough lifeboats)

When will they listen to their product users and not just the "up themselves" R & D boffins with their huge IQs and total lack of common sense?

Artie I have the same problem with my 5D MKII RAW and use the Adobe convertor to convert them to DNGs with the RAW files embeded (look in preferences) in the DNG file which can be extracted using the same convertor.

Makes the files rather large but storage is so cheap these days it matters little.

All the best Master.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Is this information documented somewhere?
    It is not publicly available, but they have a paper coming up in ISSCC 2010 imaging sensor session which goes over some of their recent achievements and trends.

Visit my blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yup, but they didn't give one to RG this time for testing :D I guess after MKIII and 7D comments he is not exactly in good relations with Canon anymore.

Visit my blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I for one cannot understand why.... I am actually amazed that he got a 7D.

Roman Kurywczak

very interesting read.......what I got from the RG link is..... I should wait to see the Mark lV high iso/night performance.....I may be another one getting a second Mark lll.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Does anyone know if the pre-shot histogram which is available in the 7D live view has carrier over to the 1D4?

The ability in 7D live view to level the camera, and check the histogram before taking the shot, are great features for stationary shots.
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Gould View Post
    Does anyone know if the pre-shot histogram which is available in the 7D live view has carrier over to the 1D4?

The ability in 7D live view to level the camera, and check the histogram before taking the shot, are great features for stationary shots.
    be amazed if it didnt the 5D MKII has it as well

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the video done by Vincent Laforet at ISO 6400. It is now temporarily removed at the request of Canon.

The Camera spec sheet look mighty impressive. I am guess the H3 option ie. the 102.4k ISO would be for extreme emergency. However, the ISO 3200 image posted in the Canon site looks fine.

Sabyasachi

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Kurywczak View Post
    very interesting read.......what I got from the RG link is..... I should wait to see the Mark lV high iso/night performance.....I may be another one getting a second Mark lll.
    Rob has never taken an image with the camera so I am unsure about your reasoning above.... As I recall, his line of thought was all theoretical. IAC, the jury is still out. And remember, he is the one who told the world that the MIII could not focus on either static or moving subjects.....

I would not be buying that 2nd MIII right now based only on his analysis.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's not feasible to have the illuminated screens with level, grid, focus points etc. and also have interchangeable screens. I think Canon thought the pro's (majority of buyers for 1DMkIVm) would want interchangeable screens. Cost may have also been a factor in doing a full frame screen.

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Donald View Post
    It's not feasible to have the illuminated screens with level, grid, focus points etc. and also have interchangeable screens. I think Canon thought the pro's (majority of buyers for 1DMkIVm) would want interchangeable screens. Cost may have also been a factor in doing a full frame screen.
    My Nikon F5 had interchangeable illuminated focusing screens.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The Nikon F5 had interchangeable pentaprisms that made it possible to interchange screens (as well as pentaprisms) and also allow for illumination. None of the current Canon digital cameras have interchangeable pentaprisms.

Not being a Nikon user, are there any current Nikon digital bodies that have illuminated focus screens and are also interchangeable?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The focusing screen illumination has nothing to do with pentaprism, the 7D and all current and older Nikon cameras use a transmissive liquid crystal display (LCD) in the focusing screen, similar to the one used in your wrist watch. When powered on, the opaque LCD becomes transmissive and can display patterns such as grid lines etc. by electronic means. This is why in these cameras the finder is very dark when you take out the battery. These screens can be interchangeable as well, such as the one in D3/D3X/D3s.

All Canon cameras with the exception of 7D use a transparent screen with permanent etch marks, these marks are physically etched in the screen and therefore cannot be changed (for example the AF points are always visible) and in order to get the grid you need to buy a screen that has the grid etched to it.

The reason Canon has not used a LCD focusing screen in MKIV is that this is their first iteration and they are not sure of its performance especially in extreme temperature condition when LCD response is slower.
    Last edited by arash_hazeghi; 10-23-2009 at 07:31 AM.

Visit my blog

Michael Pancier

Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    The reason Canon has not used a LCD focusing screen in MKIV is that this is their first iteration and they are not sure of its performance especially in extreme temperature condition when LCD response is slower.
    that's a good point .... it just seems everytime I get a new camera, it's off to buy a new focusing screen since I swear by the grid lines

Roman Kurywczak

Rob has never taken an image with the camera so I am unsure about your reasoning above.... As I recall, his line of thought was all theoretical. IAC, the jury is still out. And remember, he is the one who told the world that the MIII could not focus on either static or moving subjects.....

I would not be buying that 2nd MIII right now based only on his analysis.
    Definitely not RG's opinion.....but others I trust:D.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Kurywczak View Post
    Definitely not RG's opinion.....but others I trust:D.
    That is not what you said above: "very interesting read.......what I got from the RG link is..... I should wait to see the Mark lV high iso/night performance.....I may be another one getting a second Mark lll."

In addition, your thoughts are still based on opinion rather than on fact or personal experience.... I will use ten of those grinning idiot icons when you go out and purchase two MIV bodies :)

Roman Kurywczak

That is not what you said above: "very interesting read.......what I got from the RG link is..... I should wait to see the Mark lV high iso/night performance.....I may be another one getting a second Mark lll."

In addition, your thoughts are still based on opinion rather than on fact or personal experience.... I will use ten of those grinning idiot icons when you go out and purchase two MIV bodies :)
    It still is an interesting read.....I take both sides/all information and process it myself. Before I bought the Mark lll I asked a few people on this site as well as other pros what they thought of it and I do trust and value their judgment..I also read many opinions ....including RG's ......and promptly bought it (approx 5 months after release) The smiley face was actually for you....as you are included in the bunch whose opinion I trust. also...you may only have to give me 5 idiot grins......as I only have 1 Mark lV on order.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think that five idiot grins is the maximum anyway. I am looking forward to seeing what YOU have to say about MIV noise when you actually see the images....

Cliff Beittel

. . . And remember, he is the one who told the world that the MIII could not focus on either static or moving subjects. . . .
    Arthur,

I personally noticed problems focusing static subjects in easy situations, along with often brilliant performance with moving subjects. I only understood the problem when Canon announced that some mark III cameras, both 1D and 1Ds, had trouble focusing with AF points other than the center one (for flight I almost always use the center sensor, while for static subjects, I routinely select the AF point that suits my composition, allowing the camera to respond to small changes in head position, etc.). When I sent my 1Ds mark III for servicing in response to Canon's announcement, the work done seemed more than trivial: "Replaced LEVER ***'Y, SH CHARGE & MIRROR CHARGE, WASHER, FLANGE BACK, WASHER (SUS.)."

Those who only used the center sensor might not have been affected, and perhaps that explains why some users had problems and others didn't. But to my mind, an $8,000 camera (1Ds mark III) that couldn't focus with 44 of its 45 AF sensors was defective. Thus, I believe Galbraith's complaints were correct.

P.S. Though as far as I know, Galbraith's tests only involved the center sensor.
    Last edited by Cliff Beittel; 10-24-2009 at 09:52 AM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

To change the subject a bit, I am puzzled why Canon pulled all online images. Seems to me that if the camera is announced they would want as much PR as possible to promote the camera.

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Cordes View Post
    To change the subject a bit, I am puzzled why Canon pulled all online images. Seems to me that if the camera is announced they would want as much PR as possible to promote the camera.
    I guess the reason is the pre-production state. Maybe they hope to improve the final product's firmware by the release date.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast