Thread: Lioness with Warthog (Panthera leo)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lioness with Warthog (Panthera leo)

Attached Images Attached Images

Image taken from vehicle. I don't think I have posted this particular image but I have similar ones. If the clock on my camera was set correctly this was at 06.20hr.
    As I recall I did experience some difficulty with the colours last time. Hopefully these are a little better. The Warthog hide looks a little unusual in colour, I suspect there is lysed blood attributing to the colouration. The lioness looks a though she has been in the wars, I remember how grubby she was.
    I appreciate colour balance and colours in general can be subjective but I am curious to see what you think. I obtained White balance by using a different technique to my usual approach.

Canon 5D MkIII 100-400mm @ 340mm
    ISO 1250, 1/1600 sec f8

ACR/PSCC
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 09-25-2022 at 11:02 AM.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Jon,

I cannot remember seeing this frame from you. And indeed the lioness looks a like she's been in the wars, albeit still fit and strong. She is possessive over her kill and ready to protect the carcass...Well captured and great timing! Nicely framed too.
    Difficult to judge colours in this instance - I took it into LR and looked at WB, but best if you could forward me the RAW, if you don't mind. Also, the blacks area bit heavy, looking at the gums and nose. Still a great image, worth spending some more time on it.
    Here is my take, but not 100% sure, let us hear what the others say. DoF is great and overall techs look good, where was this taken?

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela I think this would have been somewhere near Lower Sabie going from the date. I have sent you the raw file - which I have modified since this post. I noted the blacks were dense in original I didn't clip and I did lift them, but I agree still look dense.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon ... cool looking tusks , almost like they do belong to the lioness .
    I do like capture ... but think it is overdone on contrast / tone and the sharpness looks on the edge of being crunchy . Maybe you have used texture / clarity inn the process.
    Colors are matter of taste .... ... I would expect the grasses , dead or alive , more on the yellow side . The lioness in shade I would expect less orange/red and the carcass is on the magnets side of red . All subjective ... just my thoughts.
    I would prefer more below rather than on the top of the frame , comp does look a bit unbalanced to me.

Cool shot ... I would just go for a different approach in color and tone .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Jon ... cool looking tusks , almost like they do belong to the lioness .
    I do like capture ... but think it is overdone on contrast / tone and the sharpness looks on the edge of being crunchy . Maybe you have used texture / clarity inn the process.
    Colors are matter of taste .... ... I would expect the grasses , dead or alive , more on the yellow side . The lioness in shade I would expect less orange/red and the carcass is on the magnets side of red . All subjective ... just my thoughts.
    I would prefer more below rather than on the top of the frame , comp does look a bit unbalanced to me.

Cool shot ... I would just go for a different approach in color and tone .

TFS Andreas
    Thanks Andreas I will take on board your suggestions....... here is a repost WDYT?
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 09-26-2022 at 08:17 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think repost is rubbish, maybe this re -repost is better, it is a long time ago but this looks more credible to me.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon .... I like to be honest , all of your versions are carrying a cast from blue over to yellow ending up in red/magenta in the RP ????!!!!
    In the last and first RP there is almost no color separation from subject to surroundings , IMHO.

Maybe a matter of taste , but I am not sure if that should be the target ???!!! And your WB changes are quite drastic .... in my eyes . Your changes look like made globally , not selectively ??!!! I am somehow puzzled why ??
    When I do process an image ... I make one version in the whole process , never more .

Cheers Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, Colour balance/WB isn't too far off in the original, but the Blacks & Contrast is just way off masking/concealing detail and pushing things to offering an unrealistic look, UPs just don't work. You needed more again at the foot with less above. It's sharp in the right places.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Jon, Colour balance/WB isn't too far off in the original, but the Blacks & Contrast is just way off masking/concealing detail and pushing things to offering an unrealistic look, UPs just don't work. You needed more again at the foot with less above. It's sharp in the right places.

TFS
    Steve
    Steve to be honest I have made a bit of a pig's ear of it, I did yet another version which I think is better but i think this post has had enough time on it...... what did you mean by UPs - I don't understand?

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

LOL Jon, having just got back Monday night, I finally tested positive to CV19, so I will put things down to brain fog, but UP's means RP's. Fortunately it's like having a bad cold thank god, so should get/eligable for fourth jab late Nov. Monday will be the final big push work wise until the first week of Nov, so have to just suck it up.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.