Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Best of the Best, Sir!

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Icon3 The Best of the Best, Sir!

Let's have some fun. No critiques, just "great shot" and "WOW".

Post as a reply to this thread, one of your images that you most enjoyed from 2010.

If you want comment on an image and it is not the next in order, just click "Reply with Quote" on the image you want to comment on.
    Last edited by James Shadle; 01-04-2011 at 09:37 AM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Shouldn't you be the one to get the ball rolling :) ?

Robert Amoruso

Default Silver Salmon Creek Lodge, AK 2010

Attached Images Attached Images

One of my favorites this year from my workshop at Lake Clark National Park in Alaska.

Silver Salmon Creek Lodge, AK 2010

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

One of my favorites was this photo of my first Albatross taken of a 3 day pelagic trip from San Diego

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Last year was a good year for me so it was hard to pick my favorite but I am most proud of this image since it turn out exactly as I had pre visualized it before I got to the colony
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Literally a point and shoot shot as my mask kept filling with water. I have always wanted to dive with these gentle giants and cant wait till next time to do better.

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tracy View Post
    Shouldn't you be the one to get the ball rolling :) ?
    As soon as I can get to my desktop computer:).

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

This is not my "best" image of 2010, however it is my favorite image.
    This is the image as I envisioned it. It's my most satisfying image because of how difficult it was to create and how close it is to my photographic vision.

Full frame other than small crop for composition.

Roman Kurywczak

Quote Originally Posted by James Shadle View Post
    This is not my "best" image of 2010, however it is my favorite image.
    This is the image as I envisioned it. It's my most satisfying image because of how difficult it was to create and how close it is to my photographic vision.

Full frame other than small crop for composition.
    Do I remember correctly when you took this?:D Must have been the company! Now you have given me some ammo for March!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is my most memorable image of 2010 ... it marks my trip from Kentucky to Florida when my youngest daughter moved away from home and it is one of the first images I made on my very first "workshop" ... a private day with Capt. James Shadle aboard the Hooptie Deux .... as i have written before .... I learned a ton, enjoyed it tremendously and I consider it time and money well spent.

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Kurywczak View Post
    Do I remember correctly when you took this?:D Must have been the company! Now you have given me some ammo for March!

Yes. Now you know that I wasn't just wallowing in the mud.

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    This is my most memorable image of 2010 ... it marks my trip from Kentucky to Florida when my youngest daughter moved away from home and it is one of the first images I made on my very first "workshop" ... a private day with Capt. James Shadle aboard the Hooptie Deux .... as i have written before .... I learned a ton, enjoyed it tremendously and I consider it time and money well spent.

Not a bad way to mark a trip!
    It was my pleasure working with you.

Danny J Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Amoruso View Post
    One of my favorites this year from my workshop at Lake Clark National Park in Alaska.

That is one of the most beautifully sharp images I've ever seen. Super.

DB

Danny J Brown

Wow...Can we do this more often? Just kidding. This image was voted "Favorite of the Year." by the people on my Nature Frames list serve that I send out every Sunday afternoon. It will be featured in an upcoming issue of Missouri Conservationist along with a story about how I got the shot in the flooded Missouri River corridor. Shot in super low light. I posted it in Avian last spring. Take care.

Roman Kurywczak

OK.....the landscape mod has to join Mike and break up the bird fest:p!!! This was a great year for me photo wise. Everything from Tanzania and then Spoonies with James on the Hooptie.....to some of my favorite landscape places of Arches and Yellowstone. Having been to these iconic places more than a few times.....I tried to push myself and my knowledge and try new things when photogrpahing them. This image signifies the lessons learned over the many years of night photography.....exploring some new avenues and constantly refining as I went. This image from my Zion/Bryce tour is the culmination of all those years and lessons. This is why it means the most to me this year!

Robert Amoruso

Roman,

I was first with an image and I posted a bear on purpose.:p

Roman Kurywczak

Roman,

I was first with an image and I posted a bear on purpose.:p
    How the heck did I miss that great image!!!:o:o:o I'd better double check next time!!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Kurywczak View Post
    OK.....the landscape mod has to join Mike and break up the bird fest:p!!! This was a great year for me photo wise. Everything from Tanzania and then Spoonies with James on the Hooptie.....to some of my favorite landscape places of Arches and Yellowstone. Having been to these iconic places more than a few times.....I tried to push myself and my knowledge and try new things when photogrpahing them. This image signifies the lessons learned over the many years of night photography.....exploring some new avenues and constantly refining as I went. This image from my Zion/Bryce tour is the culmination of all those years and lessons. This is why it means the most to me this year!

"Great Shot" - I have always wanted to say that (not really).

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

For me when this guy stood up on his hind legs in golden light. I will remember that moment for rest of my life.

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Sid,
    That is one buttery bear. Sweet!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

some GREAT SHOTS posted already ;)

I especially like your bear Sid and it has stood out for me in the Wildlife forum as well.

I recently posted my "Top 10 of 2010" photos on my blog and couldn't choose a favourite then, and even now I probably will choose a different "favourite" today than I would tomorrow...
    (check it out here: http://saffascapes.blogspot.com/2010...-for-2010.html)

but here goes!

I have a thing for simplistic compositions that tell a story, have strong adherence to the ROT or Golden Mean and depict a single subject in a dramatic environment. Of my chosen Top10 there are 2 specific ones that satisfy this set of criteria.

The lone tree against the dramatic backdrop posted as #2 on the blog, and this one...
    (what is it with me and animals on ridges with clouds behind them? ;) )

This was a special sighting in a year in which I had a lot of great sightings of cheetah. We spent a quiet morning with a mother and her 2 juvenile male cubs as they were soaking up the Kalahari sun on a calcrete ridge. The one cub was lying quite some distance away from his mom and brother, and I waited for the precise moment in which he chose to get up and walk across the ridge to join them. There were some potential prey in the riverbed below, and so naturally to try and avoid being conspicuous, he kind-of "stalked" across the ridge.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sid, Where?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Having been privileged to photograph some fantastic and awesome animals over the past few years, photographing these guys was a real treat, especially to be within feet of a male Grizzly in excess of 1000ibs certainly raised the heart rate!!! But for me, it was the pure acceleration and power that was so explosive, eat your heart out Cheetahs. :D

Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Roman Kurywczak

I love Gizzlies......and this one is just fantastic because of the grass in the mouth and killer BG!!!

Roman Kurywczak

Quote Originally Posted by Don Lacy View Post
    Last year was a good year for me so it was hard to pick my favorite but I am most proud of this image since it turn out exactly as I had pre visualized it before I got to the colony
    I don't think people realize how tough it is to get a great feeding shot this clean!!! Sweeeeet!

Roman Kurywczak

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tracy View Post
    Literally a point and shoot shot as my mask kept filling with water. I have always wanted to dive with these gentle giants and cant wait till next time to do better.
    Way cool Mike!!! Must have been an awesome thrill and you sure did the image justice!

Roman Kurywczak

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    Glad to see you had as much fun with James as I always do Joel!!! Quite a memorable image!

Roman Kurywczak

Quote Originally Posted by Myer Bornstein View Post
    One of my favorites was this photo of my first Albatross taken of a 3 day pelagic trip from San Diego
    Great job Myer! Must have been an awesome trip!

Roman Kurywczak

Quote Originally Posted by Danny J Brown View Post
    Wow...Can we do this more often? Just kidding. This image was voted "Favorite of the Year." by the people on my Nature Frames list serve that I send out every Sunday afternoon. It will be featured in an upcoming issue of Missouri Conservationist along with a story about how I got the shot in the flooded Missouri River corridor. Shot in super low light. I posted it in Avian last spring. Take care.
    Whoa!!! 3 great HA's!!!! Not the easiest thing to do!!! Congrats on the feature too!!!

Roman Kurywczak

Quote Originally Posted by Morkel Erasmus View Post
    some GREAT SHOTS posted already ;)

I especially like your bear Sid and it has stood out for me in the Wildlife forum as well.

I recently posted my "Top 10 of 2010" photos on my blog and couldn't choose a favourite then, and even now I probably will choose a different "favourite" today than I would tomorrow...
    (check it out here: http://saffascapes.blogspot.com/2010...-for-2010.html)

but here goes!

I have a thing for simplistic compositions that tell a story, have strong adherence to the ROT or Golden Mean and depict a single subject in a dramatic environment. Of my chosen Top10 there are 2 specific ones that satisfy this set of criteria.

The lone tree against the dramatic backdrop posted as #2 on the blog, and this one...
    (what is it with me and animals on ridges with clouds behind them? ;) )

This was a special sighting in a year in which I had a lot of great sightings of cheetah. We spent a quiet morning with a mother and her 2 juvenile male cubs as they were soaking up the Kalahari sun on a calcrete ridge. The one cub was lying quite some distance away from his mom and brother, and I waited for the precise moment in which he chose to get up and walk across the ridge to join them. There were some potential prey in the riverbed below, and so naturally to try and avoid being conspicuous, he kind-of "stalked" across the ridge.
    Was a great year for you Morkel and this one's drama may be my favorite!

Roman Kurywczak

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Garige View Post
    For me when this guy stood up on his hind legs in golden light. I will remember that moment for rest of my life.
    Just freakin' awesome Sid!!!! Killer all around!!!

Roman Kurywczak

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Having been privileged to photograph some fantastic and awesome animals over the past few years, photographing these guys was a real treat, especially to be within feet of a male Grizzly in excess of 1000ibs certainly raised the heart rate!!! But for me, it was the pure acceleration and power that was so explosive, eat your heart out Cheetahs. :D

Steve
    I agree Steve!!! Having stood there more than a few times myself.....you did a great job of conveying that power!!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great stuff gang!! A very inspiring thread this is turning out to be (I never had any doubts!)...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Roman, lying belly down in fish remains and what seemed to be rather smelly black mud with as I said, a 1000lbs+ male walking towards you and you can here him sniffing and snorting whilst walking towards you realising that a 16-35 may NOT be wide enough was something you cannot capture for adrenalin rush, will post it soon as I would welcome your thoughts, likewise anyone else. :)

Great to see the standard, variety of media and diversity of images posted and look forward to seeing more and share what I have missed, good idea James.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Roman Kurywczak

Hi Roman, lying belly down in fish remains and what seemed to be rather smelly black mud with as I said, a 1000lbs+ male walking towards you and you can here him sniffing and snorting whilst walking towards you realising that a 16-35 may NOT be wide enough was something you cannot capture for adrenalin rush, will post it soon as I would welcome your thoughts, likewise anyone else. :)

Great to see the standard, variety of media and diversity of images posted and look forward to seeing more and share what I have missed, good idea James.
    I know what you mean!!!.....but the 16-35???......I didn't even bring mine!!! I had a female chase a sub adult within 3 feet of me....needless to say.....I'm glad neither broke stride!

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

So far BirdPhotographers.Net's "Best of the Best, Sir" thread has:
    5 mammal, 2 landscape and only 4 bird images!:p It ain't just birds:).

Roman Kurywczak

Quote Originally Posted by James Shadle View Post
    So far BirdPhotographers.Net's "Best of the Best, Sir" thread has:
    5 mammal, 2 landscape and only 4 bird images!:p It ain't just birds:).
    I think the Avian crowd is asleep:p.......or perhaps they don't realize there are other forums! They don't scroll down often:D!!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Sid, Where?
    Kaktovik, Alaska Sir.
    Here is a gallery on my website
    http://luminepixels.com/kaktovik.html

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve
    Awesome Steve.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Here is a link to the OOTB forums Most Memorable Images for 2010:)

Todd Frost

This has been a good year for me as well. Spending time with this female wolf, listening to the howls and making some fine images of her is something I wil not forget.

Todd

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, I am a bit curious as the the "1000 pound grizzly." My first questions are where and when?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, it was in Katmai, in September and the comment was based on the Bear guide and his observation and description at the time. With nothing to gauge it on, I'm just repeating his assumption, but when the bear wondered across to within feet of us, he did seem rather 'large' to say the least :)

Sorry I can't be of any more help as this was my first encounter with Grizzlies, but would eagerly spend more time with these fascinating animals, but they seem slightly dwarfed IMHO, compared to Polar Bears.

BTW I think we might have been there at the same time.

cheers
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve, Was Chuck your guide? (I do not think that there are any/many 1000 pound bears in Katmai.... I will check. And yes, they all look big from a few feet away.

Blake Shadle

Better late than never (I hope) :D

Sorry, I don't have any of the technicals at the moment. I know my dad and the Hooptie Deux were involved :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

And yes, they all look big from a few feet away.
    Yep :D No it wasn't Chuck, it was a guy called Brad if that helps?

cheers
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks. I am guessing that he was exaggerating some... I will check with Chuck.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lots of great stuff as expected. This is my favorite. Now, this is no BS: I had trouble finding one bird image from 2010 that I really love....

Ákos Lumnitzer

One of my faves for sure. This is Henry for those who missed it and I just found out three days ago that my suspicion was right about his lady having gone. A keen bird watcher lady who lives about a mile from where Henry and his mate were nesting found a dead Kestrel on the side of the road around October. :(
    However, Henry still managed to fledge two young! This is 80% of full frame and the light was very, very warm this particular morning.

30D, 300/4L + 1.4x, ISO800, f/9, 1/500th, +1 1/3EC, tripod
    Last edited by Ákos Lumnitzer; 01-05-2011 at 04:02 PM. Reason: did not attach image. :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is one of my favorites. In 2010 I got hooked on birds and gained a tremendous amount of knowledge. The stakes are high for this year. Let's see what 2011 brings!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast