Thread: color calibration on imac (or similar apple display)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default color calibration on imac (or similar apple display)

I'm struggling with color calibration on my iMac. I purchased a eye-one calibration tool (the LT) but because of the iMac's super reflective screen, the tool only works if I turn down the display brightness and black out all of the light in the room, which doesn't make sense if you want to use the white balance tool. BTW: if anyone is curious how to do this, I've discovered three methods: 1) wait until the sun goes down--easiest in winter months, 2) black out the room's windows with matte board, or 3) drape a blackout blanket over the monitor.

There's got to be a better way. The result is too magenta.

I had some of my photos printed by a printer manufacturer's R&D group and tried to match the colors the old fashion way by holding up the print next to the monitor and adjusting white balance and gamma manually.

Please tell me there's a better way. Or, if you have a calibrated iMac or Apple display, can you share display settings?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Celeste,

Unfortunately it is very difficult to calibrate glossy screens because of reflection as you noted. The iMac screen is not ideal for critical color matching / printing. It will be OK if you put the time to adjust things by trial and error but if you are super critical about color you need to get a SIPS non-glossy screen. HP, NEC and EIZO make such screens but they are relatively expensive. These are used by most pro photographers and pro printing labs. Other than that what you have came up with is pretty much all you can do.

good luck
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Celeste,

I use a cheap Pantone huey PRO on my 27'' imac, the calibrator is very small but it works, and if you want it can be turn on and when light changes in the room the calibrator changes the settings automatically. At firsts tries, the monitor had a intense blue cast, but than I change the sofware for an older version and now it works perfectly a nit more blue than original but the colors, more or less match the printer.
    It took me a few days to my brain to get used to the new colors, but now when I go back to the older color settings I cant stand the warm colors of the uncalibrated monitor...

4. Thanks Celeste Painter thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I guess it depends on the calibrating device. My Spyder sits right on the screen and is immune to reflection from the shiny surface. Other calibration devices may work differently.

I have the 27" Apple (IPS) display (same one as on the iMac) and it is exceptionally good. Judging from previous comments though, I guess I'm not "super critical about colour".

6. Thanks Celeste Painter thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

My colorimeter X-rite DTP-94 has a gasket around the bottom, as I believe all do to keep out extraneous light when calibrating the screen. Ambient light should have no effect on how the meter calibrates the screen. Ambient will effect how you view and precieve the screen after correction. Some find it best to turn down the screen brightness 4 clicks left of max brightness before calibrating.

BTW- I use Color Eyes Display Pro w/ DTP-94

Chas

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

After upgrading to Mac OS Mountain Lion, I find out that Eye-One Match is no longer supported by Mac.
    Is this the case with Color Eyes? Does it work with Mountain Lion?

Ignacio.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ignacio Yufera View Post
    After upgrading to Mac OS Mountain Lion, I find out that Eye-One Match is no longer supported by Mac.
    Is this the case with Color Eyes? Does it work with Mountain Lion?

Ignacio.

I would check with Jack Bingham http://www.integrated-color.com (Color Eyes Display Pro)