Thread: Well that's a.....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Well that's a.....

Name:  20210703-Spotted-Sandpiper-Mullein-Calling-Brian-Sump-BSR55788-6837px-D32-L75-brushwhite-brush-t.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  574.8 KB

First.

I was blessed to view a couple Spotted Sandpipers near a breeding ground when this one popped up on a Mullein stalk to peer over the reeds, unannounced. Quite a cool interaction as they traditionally stick to the ground near the water in my experiences.

R5
    840mm
    Handheld
    ISO 1250
    1/3200
    f10

LR and PS, DN on bkg only. Nothing cloned or added.

Some whites may look hot but I made sure they were all tamed in the low-mid 240's.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oooooh Mr Sump ... very cool , is that taken with the gorgeous Canon R5 ??? The quality is just outstanding .... the great use of the kit and the sensitive PP work is really coming into play . Good to see the very fine details rendered with a perfect sharpness .... not a single halo visible , very cool !!
    Congrats Amigo .... !!!

I do like the simplicity and the subject is pretty cool with the calling pose .
    Lovely colors and tones ... maybe some little tweaks here and there , just very minor stuff I would personally change .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Special perch! That may never happen again, great capture with the open beak well done
    Glenn

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty unique and nice calling pose...being there is 90% of photography..
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really nice Brian. I am surrounded by spotted sandpipers and when they move up to higher ground it is always on an ugly man made perch.
    You were in the right place at the right time and you made the most of it.
    Well done,
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done my friend! Love the open beak, the perch is ridiculous and the detail and BG can't be better. Fantastic work

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great shot Brian, only thing I might change is the crop and have it a little further to the left. Great pose, perch and background, really solid frame!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice one, Brian. LOVE the bkg. Details are very nice too. Keep up the killer work!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done Brian...I bet you were well chuffed when this bird landed on the beautiful perch...Fab detail as usual, perfect HA and pose...and the BG 'fits' the image perfectly...Whites look good here....Great work.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Oooooh Mr Sump ... very cool , is that taken with the gorgeous Canon R5 ??? The quality is just outstanding .... the great use of the kit and the sensitive PP work is really coming into play . Good to see the very fine details rendered with a perfect sharpness .... not a single halo visible , very cool !!
    Congrats Amigo .... !!!

I do like the simplicity and the subject is pretty cool with the calling pose .
    Lovely colors and tones ... maybe some little tweaks here and there , just very minor stuff I would personally change .

TFS Andreas
    Professor!! Hey man, yeah the R5's turned out to be okay :-) Even if I'm in the 'perfect' ballpark, I'll take it! (fist bump)

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Conlan View Post
    Special perch! That may never happen again, great capture with the open beak well done
    Glenn
    Glenn, thanks for chiming in. Agree, it was both a rare and fun moment!

Quote Originally Posted by dankearl View Post
    Pretty unique and nice calling pose...being there is 90% of photography..
    Dan, yeah it helps if you're present when you take a picture ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by gail bisson View Post
    Really nice Brian. I am surrounded by spotted sandpipers and when they move up to higher ground it is always on an ugly man made perch.
    You were in the right place at the right time and you made the most of it.
    Well done,
    Gail
    Gail, thanks a bunch!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Bowman View Post
    Well done my friend! Love the open beak, the perch is ridiculous and the detail and BG can't be better. Fantastic work
    Kurt, always appreciate the comments my friend!!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Barsotti View Post
    Great shot Brian, only thing I might change is the crop and have it a little further to the left. Great pose, perch and background, really solid frame!
    Anthony, thanks for the comments. Tried one a little more left like the Mountain Bluebird I posted weeks ago, but there was a comment or two about moving the perch a bit more central so ended up that route here :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Ing View Post
    Very nice one, Brian. LOVE the bkg. Details are very nice too. Keep up the killer work!
    Jay, I'm glad you think my shots worthy of praise my man. Back at ya!

Quote Originally Posted by William Dickson View Post
    Well done Brian...I bet you were well chuffed when this bird landed on the beautiful perch...Fab detail as usual, perfect HA and pose...and the BG 'fits' the image perfectly...Whites look good here....Great work.

Will
    Will, did I tell you "you da man"!? Still loling at "chuffed"... you western Europeans crack me up. But yeah, for sure I was stoked in all aspects here. Much appreciated are all your comments!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Late to this one Brian, but glad I "stopped by". A fine image as always, and beautifully processed. One in a million perch I guess. I'd also be "chuffed" to get this (the ex Pom in me speaking here)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What serendipity! And what skill to make the best of it. A beauty.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it!! I see them perching on ugly stuff just like in Gail's experience. Last year one kept perching in a spruce, which would have been cool had it not kept going deep inside lol. Anyhow, having it give you a calling pose as well gives the frame even more interest. Beautiful quality of light as well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

looks nice, I like the calling pose and the perch, if mine I'd warm the WB just a touch

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Talk about being in the right place at the right time! But the thing is, you might be the luckiest bird photographers but if you do not have the requisite skills, it will not do you any good. You possess those skills. From where I sit, I'd prefer the bird back in the frame a bit.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Neat to see a shorbird up there. Nice calling pose. Great background as well.