Thread: Northern Saw-whet Owl #2

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Northern Saw-whet Owl #2

Attached Images Attached Images

Same bird, captured on New Year's Day. Another frame, this time with a head turn and one eye open. Would have liked to get a frontal stare with both eyes open, but I was lucky enough just to get an almost unobstructed view. I was looking through a tiny opening in the vegetation, so a move of a few inches either way obstructed him. Subsequent visits have found him buried deep within the Junipers.

D500, 500f4, ISO 3200, 1/320s @ f/5.6 manual; Gitzo and Mongoose.
    Last edited by Bill Dix; 01-11-2019 at 04:29 PM. Reason: forgot EXIF

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like how the owl is tucked in there nice and tight. The fluffed up look is nice as well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bill, lovely and cozy, nestled and framed in between the branches. I do like the detail, and maybe lightening the eye a touch may help.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just superb Bill, I liked the previous frame, but the open eye means this knocks spots off the first. Agree with Stu about possibly lightening the eye a touch

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

These guys are always a treat to find. I agree with lightening the eye (iris only, of course). Good job finding a keyhole through the vegetation.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Bowie View Post
    Hi Bill, lovely and cozy, nestled and framed in between the branches. I do like the detail, and maybe lightening the eye a touch may help.
    Smart man from where I sit. I used several techniques to brighten the iris; simply pulling the curve up a lot helped the most.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

On a second look I would say that the curve on the whole image could have been pulled up. IOW, it is too dark overall for me as presented.

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all. In this repost I've used Curves to brighten the entire image slightly, and then brightened the iris further. I appreciate the suggestions.

9. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post