Thread: Phloral Phoebe

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Phloral Phoebe

Name:  20210502-Says-Phoebe-Serviceberry-brnch-Brian-Sump-BSR56088-5290px-D80-DD-20-L56-BL15-brush-touc.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  580.4 KB

The blooms of spring have finally come after a long wait. Took advantage of a backyard set up with a Serviceberry Branch and this Says Phoebe was kind enough to play along :-)

R5
    840mm
    Handheld
    ISO 2000
    1/2500
    f7.1

LR and PS, DN. Blended two lighter spots in the bkg.

2. Thanks Volkan Akgul thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Phunny title, my phriend (spell-check thinks I'm at phault here...go phigure!!). Gotta love time of year eh! Beautiful perch, of course, and nice subject. I love the orange parts still showing despite the back view. Good head turn as well.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the flower bloom on the perch, great head turn you managed to get too Brian! I like the back-side view also. Nice work as usual!!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the head turn, the perch and the sharpness.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet perch, great BG and nice lookback pose.
    Love your title and Daniel's response!
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love, love, love the careful image design. Next time throw ita few bugs and get it to face you ... That said, great job with the look-back head turn.

with love, a

ps: audio?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice one Brian....I like the chosen crop...The flowers look real good and brings the perch and image alive...Nice pose on the bird with your usual excellent details...

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Brian ... cool to see something different from your side .
    Nice IQ as expected , with a very nice overall tonal range . Looking at the histogram , I would use for its full potential . Try it ... the image becomes even more to life .... . Without knowing the bird myself ... I have a feeling that the WB is slightly " off " . Leaving the overall color tendency alone .... just the color of the tail feathers and the beak made me think , the color is not ideal .
    I have heard at a setup the subjects have to pose perfectly .... facing the viewer .... I do not mind the pose and I do like the head turn .
    The perch with all the blossoms is really nice and adding tonal range to the overall image ... working well together .

Cool image my friend .... check your mail

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks great on that fresh flower branch perch. Nice of the bird to look back at you. Detail is great.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Nicely composed and i like the look. I am not so familiar with Say's phoebe although i always photograph them on my trip to Bosque. However, my first reaction was if there was a reddish/magenta cast as the tail feathers caught my eye, and then the orangey underbelly also looked a wee off. So, i am out on the ledge here but wanted to push myself into questioning the colors, please let me know what you think. Also, I often have photographed them front view. It is a phalubous phrame.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    Phunny title, my phriend (spell-check thinks I'm at phault here...go phigure!!). Gotta love time of year eh! Beautiful perch, of course, and nice subject. I love the orange parts still showing despite the back view. Good head turn as well.
    Phreaking right on Daniel

Thanks for the words!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Bowman View Post
    Love the flower bloom on the perch, great head turn you managed to get too Brian! I like the back-side view also. Nice work as usual!!!
    Kurt, you're the man. Thanks for the positive feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Patdu View Post
    I love the head turn, the perch and the sharpness.
    Eric, I'm glad you chimed in. Thanks for the comments!

Quote Originally Posted by gail bisson View Post
    Sweet perch, great BG and nice lookback pose.
    Love your title and Daniel's response!
    Gail
    Ha, all in good phun! Thank you Gail.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Love, love, love the careful image design. Next time throw ita few bugs and get it to face you ... That said, great job with the look-back head turn.

with love, a

ps: audio?
    Artie, thanks very much!!

Why does it need to face me? I have several with it toward the lens but I liked the dorsal look back better. What am I missing?

Appreciate you very much! Yes, audio on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by William Dickson View Post
    Nice one Brian....I like the chosen crop...The flowers look real good and brings the perch and image alive...Nice pose on the bird with your usual excellent details...

Will
    Will, thanks as always my friend. Very glad you appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Brian ... cool to see something different from your side .
    Nice IQ as expected , with a very nice overall tonal range . Looking at the histogram , I would use for its full potential . Try it ... the image becomes even more to life .... . Without knowing the bird myself ... I have a feeling that the WB is slightly " off " . Leaving the overall color tendency alone .... just the color of the tail feathers and the beak made me think , the color is not ideal .
    I have heard at a setup the subjects have to pose perfectly .... facing the viewer .... I do not mind the pose and I do like the head turn .
    The perch with all the blossoms is really nice and adding tonal range to the overall image ... working well together .

Cool image my friend .... check your mail

TFS Andreas
    Andreas, always really value your opinion. Got your email and replied.

Will revisit the histogram and see what unfolds. RE the set up, I have never heard that!?? It's always seemed to me like the back shot with the look back is a prize, but man I feel ignorant :-/

Quote Originally Posted by John Mack View Post
    Looks great on that fresh flower branch perch. Nice of the bird to look back at you. Detail is great.
    John, always glad to have you chime in. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by annmpacheco View Post
    Nicely composed and i like the look. I am not so familiar with Say's phoebe although i always photograph them on my trip to Bosque. However, my first reaction was if there was a reddish/magenta cast as the tail feathers caught my eye, and then the orangey underbelly also looked a wee off. So, i am out on the ledge here but wanted to push myself into questioning the colors, please let me know what you think. Also, I often have photographed them front view. It is a phalubous phrame.
    Ann, so very grateful for your critique!

I think it's your monitor ;-) No, I will certainly not argue but will share a couple thoughts. It's become habit to always set WB in LR. Checked this one before importing to PS and seemed good at the time. However, had to take a couple glances after I was done myself because I questioned magentas. Also, I never alter the color on the subject independent from the bkg (or very rarely) so we can assume the whole canvas tint should match. But when looking at the white in the flowers it appears correct to my eye, what do you think? (just suggesting whites can often show a strong tint, not necessarily a true WB indicator). There are two magenta patches near the head in the bkg and when I desaturated the bkg and viewed, it felt a lot better to me.

Anyhow, pulled it back into LR and I could see a version with a couple points of green added. Thank you for your keen eye!
    Last edited by Brian Sump; 05-13-2021 at 06:14 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

hi Brian, very good comp and technic .

Congratulations