Thread: You can do it - Stacked Converters

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Default You can do it - Stacked Converters

Attached Images Attached Images

You can do it - Stacked Converters.
    I tried this just for the heck of it and I was blown away.

Nikon D700, Sigma 300-800mm @ 800mm.
    Kenko Pro 300 DG 2x stacked with a Kenko Pro 300 DG 1.4X = 2240mm

ISO 800 1/320 @ F20, No VR -IS -VC -OS, just proper long lens technique.
    Last edited by James Shadle; 02-22-2011 at 12:29 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

James,

With a high shutter speed, plus enough light to stop down stacking can yield good results with proper tech, as you have illustrated. While the image presented looks fine here, in truth it lacks the fine detail of the stunning image you posted previously, as expected. That said, I am sure it is of publishable quality...

You know this, but others may not...shooting the image with one converter would most likely yield a sharper overall image, as a result of less mag, and higher shutter speed due to being able to use a wider f/stop. And, more often than not a lower ISO. Photography is often the Art of Compromise.

Best,

Chas
    Last edited by Charles Glatzer; 02-20-2011 at 11:37 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Photography is often the Art of Compromise.

Amen Brother!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think the result is exceedingly impressive, however you cut it.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm extremely impressed with the quality of this image!! I've used the Nikon 1.4x on my 300-800 with good results but never considered trying to stack teleconverters. In your experience, how do the Kenko teleconverters compare to the Nikon converters?

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

The Kenkos do not AF on my 600mm AF-S and the Nikons will not fit my Sigma 300-800mm so tough to compare. Proof is in the pudding.
    The Nikons are built like tanks, I can't say the same for the Kenko Pro 300 DGX Series (the sharpest Kenkos).

BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts

Impressed. Now I can stack a TC1.4 and a Kenko 1.4 on my Sigma 800 f5.6. If a kenko 2x with a kenko 1.4 can give such an image, I will try to file off the iron pin to fit a TC20eIII with the TC1.4eII to the Sigma 800 to see if a similar result can be obtained.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

With enough light you can probably get away with it BUT atmospheric conditions will affect the result + you might be able to get a better final result just by up-sizing the image using a software such as genuine fractals.

Last edited by James Shadle; 02-24-2011 at 12:41 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Loizou View Post
    With enough light you can probably get away with it BUT atmospheric conditions will affect the result + you might be able to get a better final result just by up-sizing the image using a software such as genuine fractals.

So would you say atmospheric conditions were OK for this image?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by James Shadle View Post
    So would you say atmospheric conditions were OK for this image?
    No problem with your image, just a generic note from my experience when stacking teleconverters. Most of the times I found that using only the 2x and up-sizing would provide me with a better result than using the 2x + 1.4x

Experiences can of course vary.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice result!

I'm curious how this works with some less high quality, less expensive lenses.

When the weather is good I will test my canon 300mm f4 with stacked converters.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Can't do that with the new Canon TCs III! They don't marry like the TCs II did; at least mine don't!

That turned out to be a surprise after I sold the IIs and bought the IIIs.
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, it is true that you cannot stack the III teleconverters.
    You cannot physically even attach two III series TC's together.

You can attach a III series with a Kenko TC BUT the AF will not function ok. There is something in the III chip that does not allow stacking and that is why they did not even make it physically possible to stack them together with another III series TC.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Gould View Post
    Can't do that with the new Canon TCs III! They don't marry like the TCs II did; at least mine don't!

That turned out to be a surprise after I sold the IIs and bought the IIIs.
    The old simple solution works just fine: a 12mm extension tube between the TCs...... That's how I travel with them anyway and how I keep them in my vest.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    The old simple solution works just fine: a 12mm extension tube between the TCs...... That's how I travel with them anyway and how I keep them in my vest.
    Don't you lose infinity focus?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie; enjoy your hard work on the blog soooooooooo very much!!

If you put an ext tube between the 1.4 and the 2.0 (I already feel it in my bones that I am going to get into trouble with this question ) doesn't the tube kinda cancel out the benefits?

The tube is used to effectively bring that which is too close into focus by shortening the minimum focus distance; the extender is used to bring that which is further away closer by adding focal length.

Of course, at this point you are working with manual focus; how much will you gain by adding a 12mm tube to be able to add a 1.4 extender?

Back to you Mate; I will work on the principle that the only stupid question asked is the one you don't ask!
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Loizou View Post
    Don't you lose infinity focus?
    I can still focus on the sun. That is far enough away for me.... My understanding is that there is some "extra" built in.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    I can still focus on the sun. That is far enough away for me.... My understanding is that there is some "extra" built in.
    Thanks for letting me know.

BTW I just ordered your 7D guide, cannot wait to receive it and read it!