Thread: In the Box with lots of PP....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default In the Box with lots of PP....

Attached Images Attached Images

This gorgeous just fledged Glossy Ibis was photographed this morning on the Hooptie Deux. The bird would not get in clean spot and it bugged me that the water was so close to its back in the original (see pane 2). So about 35 minutes and many Quick Masks later I was happy.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Here's what I started with....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Artie, You are right that is a gorgeous Glossy Ibis. I still don't love the BG. But it is much improved. Nice Photoshop work.

Dave Phillips

nice touchup and nice noise cleanup....a bit surprised to see the halo
    around head/neck/leg areas, that's not your normal.
    It is not at all blown, just a halo that I am not used to in your work.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Phillips View Post
    nice touchup and nice noise cleanup....a bit surprised to see the halo around head/neck/leg areas, that's not your normal. It is not at all blown, just a halo that I am not used to in your work.

Hi Dave, I do not see a halo even when tilting the screen. Beyond that, I made no selection of either BKGR or bird...

Here's a thought, can you do your darker halo detection on the image in pane #2 and see if there it looks the same. I suspect that it will unless I am more senile than I realize. :) :) :)

Dave Phillips

Hi Artie, I am very sight sensitive to these minor variations and it may be nothing at all.
    The second image is identical it seems.....notice in my post how the rim highlight
    disappears as you go further down the back. This rim light is often seen around BIF where
    a high contrast edge occurs, and especially shows up more if someone is sloppy with
    shadow/highlight or midtone levels. I was just curious as I normally do not see it in your images.

LOOL, you're probably not senile :) :)

My image is just a threshold layer at 50%

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Could you please post the 2nd image with the same treatment??? Pretty please.

Dave Phillips

sure, here it is....threshold I went to may be slightly different as it reveals a bit less

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you sir. Here is my point: the "halo" that you see is present in the original image. I did nothing to the image in pane 2 but convert it in ACR.... No selections, no SH-H. Only moved the Black slider a bit... So it would seem that whatever you are showing is not a result of any processing....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by denise ippolito View Post
    Artie, You are right that is a gorgeous Glossy Ibis. I still don't love the BG. But it is much improved. Nice Photoshop work.
    Thanks Denise. Which part or parts of the BKGR do you not like?

Ákos Lumnitzer

I can see some OOF blotches that one would almost certainly attribute to the QM background repair and slightly careless healing of the color differences? Not sure if I make sense, I attach an image that shows the places I think it is a bit odd looking. Also, where I put the Xs I would have tried to blend together better.

I am not trying to be nitpicky, just providing some feedback.

Still, you recovered really well from a not so nice BG Maestro.

Best regards
    Oshkosh

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Artie, I had said I didn't love it. I like it just fine. The line in the back still catches my eye. I think it is hard to be objective after something has been pointed out to you. But I do think you Photoshop work was done very well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Denise, The line of lighter water?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ákos Lumnitzer View Post
    I can see some OOF blotches that one would almost certainly attribute to the QM background repair and slightly careless healing of the color differences? Not sure if I make sense, I attach an image that shows the places I think it is a bit odd looking. Also, where I put the Xs I would have tried to blend together better. I am not trying to be nitpicky, just providing some feedback. Still, you recovered really well from a not so nice BG Maestro. Best regards Oshkosh
    You o-o-t-b folks are really tough... Are you seeing the slightly careless healing while viewing the whole image or while zooming in? I can see some small problems with patterns and shapes but not really with color....

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    You o-o-t-b folks are really tough... Are you seeing the slightly careless healing while viewing the whole image or while zooming in? I can see some small problems with patterns and shapes but not really with color....

Artie , me too. And all the water lines seem a bit distracting

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Artie.....I like it just fine. Of course I'm over 50 and unless I put a magnifying glass up to the screen probably wouldn't see much of what is being mentioned. I had to look at this one several times before I could decide on the dark area in the BG. I've come to like it as there is just enough to add some depth to the image but not so much as to distract.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Lana. Us more mature photographers need to stick together. (I am 63....)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Whatever!!!!:D:):p;)

Dave Phillips

I'm 60......but I'll not catch you :D

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by denise ippolito View Post
    Whatever!!!!:D:):p;)
    Whatever indeed. I thought that I did a great job with the BKGR, but what the heck do I know?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Whatever indeed. I thought that I did a great job with the BKGR, but what the heck do I know?

Artie, I first saw you in NJ at Photorama. You did a presentation that blew me away!!! I was hooked!! You gave a great presentation and I knew immediately I wanted to know what you knew!!!:)

Ákos Lumnitzer

Yes D but we can still teach ............ new tricks! :) Could not resist Sir Artie (tongue in cheek and not meant to offend). :D

I never saw Artie, never saw Denise, never saw Lana, nor whoever, never so anyone. . . . . . in fact, I am a very sad, deprived, miserable individual. Just read my poor attempts at poetry.... :(