Thread: Hooptie Deux Dunlin

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hooptie Deux Dunlin

Attached Images Attached Images

From the Saturday morning past ride out to Alafia Banks. Where we first got to the shorebird spot there was this nice blue channel (as seen here). But the tide was dropping fast. I got in close fast and then got out just as fast to chase two spoonbills and a bunch of vultures. As the tide dropped the BKGRs got uglier and uglier, at least for me.

Canon 800mm f/5.6L IS with the 1.4X II TC and the EOS-1D Mark IV. ISO 800. Evaluative metering +2/3 stop: 1/500 sec. at f/9 set manually.

Here was the trick to making this image; when the bird was roughly parallel to the back of the camera and in focus, I pressed and held the shutter button down rather than trying to "see" the perfect pose.... If you try to wait for the perfect pose or even to anticipate it, you almost early wind up missing it.... Here I got to delete a lot of images but this one made it all worth it.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

ps: Thanks to James Shadle for the ride and to Clemens van der Werf for the company :) Small crop from the bottom and tiny crop from the back.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the clean BG and the light Art. The dof is perfect for this image.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie,

Nice low angle and catchlight in the eye. HA is of course perfect :) Like the feather detail as well. For me, the highlights are on the borderline of coming across as harsh.

thanks
    Charles

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Scheffold View Post
    Artie, Nice low angle and catchlight in the eye. HA is of course perfect :) Like the feather detail as well. For me, the highlights are on the borderline of coming across as harsh. thanks charles
    Thanks Charles. Have you calibrated your monitor and made sure that the calibration strip is right on? The light was sweet (8:07am) and the highlights look just as sweet on my laptop as they did then :)

Even the most experienced folks can forget to adjust the monitor angle.... Last night I was going to comment that the WHITEs on Mital Patel's killer Eurasian Curlew looked way too bright when I realized that my screen angle was off a bit. I tilted it towards me while checking the calibration strip, and voila.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Thanks Charles. Have you calibrated your monitor and made sure that the calibration strip is right on? The light was sweet (8:07am) and the highlights look just as sweet on my laptop as they did then :)

Even the most experienced folks can forget to adjust the monitor angle.... Last night I was going to comment that the WHITEs on Mital Patel's killer Eurasian Curlew looked way too bright when I realized that my screen angle was off a bit. I tilted it towards me while checking the calibration strip, and voila.
    Ahhhh you are right! Cat bumped the monitor and it was tilted down too far. Sorry about that - looks good now :)

Charles

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You gotta love them cats :)

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, loved the pose and the light...I think the ripples make this one extra special.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Beautiful light, comp and the ripples as KD states are special.:)

Brendan Dozier

Nice one Art, Nice light and I like how the bill (beak?) came out too.
    and thanks for another shooting tip! Got to get down to the seashore soon.

- Brendan

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks all. Here is the ORIG. Only some clean up of the bill shine at the base of the bill and two specks at the tip and the crop from the bottom. Plus the usual: a bit of Eye Doctor work and sharpened the bird only using Denise's paint away the mask technique.

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice capture here Arthur. Love the pose, the light and the water. Although you already mention it above, I was going to compliment you on the clean-up of the bill. Very nice!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie , beautiful capture. Love the pose and light.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Here was the trick to making this image; when the bird was roughly parallel to the back of the camera and in focus, I pressed and held the shutter button down rather than trying to "see" the perfect pose.... If you try to wait for the perfect pose or even to anticipate it, you almost early wind up missing it.... Here I got to delete a lot of images but this one made it all worth it.
    Thanks yet again for an invaluable pearl of practical wisdom.

Alan

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely pose and details.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great light and detail...Like the movement in the water and the effect created

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, I like the soft light, and angled pose. The colours are nice and soft, and I like the hint of wave underneath the bird.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent low angle and sharpness I like the little ripples in the water the hunting pose is very nice.