Thread: Common Eider

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Common Eider

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created at Barneget Jetty on 2/9/19 at 3:42PM. Image processed in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Small crop.

Canon 5D MarkIV
    Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
    600mm
    ISO 800
    f8.0
    1/2000sec

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi John,
    Wonderful clean shot on those rocks and fine feet as well! I know that dots are splash but some seem more distracting so i'd be tempted to lose them... Also, i'd also remove the extra catchlight. Happy you survived the dreaded jetty!

3. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good pose and HA. Nice to see him on the rocks, with those webbed feet. Slightly different markings from the guy I posted the other day. Ditto Ann's comments.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey John, I was there on 2/9!!! There were only a few of us in the evening there. Were you there in morning or evening? I like the shot. Funny I only saw one there in the evening and it was on the water. I would brighten this a little and try and eke a bit more details out of the bird using detail extractor or something.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice pose of a reliable winter bird. As has been mentioned, I'd prefer to lose the little dots from splashing water just as an aesthetic choice. I see quite a lot of detail, but maybe a touch of shadow/highlight would help bring out those darkest spots on the bottom of the wings. I like the perch/rock as well; it immediately tells you we're looking at a sea duck.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Grant View Post
    Hey John, I was there on 2/9!!! There were only a few of us in the evening there. Were you there in morning or evening?
    I was there all day. We must have talked to one another. Was my first time there. It was very cool watching the sea ducks i have never seen them before. I plan on returning again before winter is over.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

First I would leave the spray droplets for sure. No need to white wash a sea duck image with splashing water.

I was there with a friend. Did not talk to anyone else. Couple nods but that is it. Were you wearing camo and have a beard?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks really good John! Lighting is really nice and the detail on the feet is outstanding. Composition sits very well with me, and exposure looks good given the high contrast on the bird. I'd leave the spray as suggested.

10. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice John! I love the feet!
    Gail

12. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely capture John! The rock is beautiful, the light is very pleasing and the BG is typical for the habitat. Most things have been said but I would leave the dots except the ones on the very left of the image that intersects with the edge.

14. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Grant View Post
    Were you wearing camo and have a beard?
    Yup that is me.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well bummer we did not officially meet. I was one of 2 guys who were out near the end. My friend was there and just sat in the same place the whole time with his Canon 600. I wandered and got low on the jetty and when we left to shoot Sanderlings on the beach you were still wandering on the jetty. Were only the 3 of us there at the end...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You did as well as possible from where I sit. It's freezing here in flA today: 56 degrees! The two dark breaking waves hurt this one.

Sharpness, EXP, and image design perfect.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.