Thread: Bringing in some nest material

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bringing in some nest material

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi everyone,

This is from 2 years ago. Me and Jasper had an awesome spring taking shots of a pair of very cooperative Great crested Grebes in the Netherlands. We would spend most of the week in the water with these birds. When in the water they would just continue their routine, it was great to experience that! While breeding these birds keep building their nest and from time to time they would bring in nest material.....

C & C welcome,

Canon EOS 350D 1/400 f7.1
    ISO 200
    Canon 100-400 L IS USM
    Focal Length 400mm
    RAW
    Last edited by Krijn Trimbos; 02-11-2008 at 04:55 PM.

Gautam Biswas

well made image. The focus is sharp and the exposure good. Two points for consideration. Cutting of the reflection of the head and the very high saturation of the blue waves around the grebe.

Judy Lynn Malloch

What a beautiful looking grebe. I have not had the opportunity to see one as yet so I really appreciate this post. Great eye contact and I love the low angle. The waterdroplets are a nice bonus too as well as the nesting material. My only nit is the whites around the face look a lbit hot on my monitor. thanks for sharing .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stunningly beautiful. Wish for the total reflection and a slightly better head angle. Exposure perfect in a difficult situation. You guys must have been in heaven. later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Robert Amoruso

I agree with the other posters observations.

A lovely bird. I am not sure of the tail's length but the back seems a bit tight too me. Is a virtual tail cropped?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastic capture...colors are great!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just fantastic.....nice crop too.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for the positive comments. To address some of them

1. I wish for the total reflection as well. I cropped off some of the reflecion because there was a big blob of blue there which was very distracting and as it merged with the reflection of the head I couldn't clone it out...:(

2. The tail of these birds ends where it hits the water in this shot so IMO no room for the virtual tail is needed

3. The headangle comment is noted....:)

Thanks again

Krijn
    Last edited by Krijn Trimbos; 02-11-2008 at 05:02 PM.

Axel Hildebrandt

Great angle and colors. After reading your reply, I still wish for more room on the right, not much though. You may well be right, but it looks crammed. :) Too bad about the cut reflection. Great image nonetheless.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Krijn I'd be pleased to have created this image despite the nits mentioned. This is a beautiful species.

John Zeiss

A very nice image!!
    I am sure that I am not the only one interested interested in how "We would spend most of the week in the water with these birds". You have a very low angle on the shot so you are near to the water and fairly close.

John

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John,
    We used wadersuits to get close to these birds. Waders keep you warm and comfortable even when the water is extremely cold. This way we could spend most of the afternoon or morning with these birds without getting wet/cold. Hope this answers your question.

Cheers