Thread: Siskin III

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Siskin III

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks ... another one from my " garden session" some weeks ago .
    I do really like the " aggressive " behavior of this guy .
    To understand the content I have to explain that there was the feeder in the URC with another Siskin sitting at it . I removed the bird and the feeder , as they have been a major distraction .

Canon EOS 1Dx II
    EF 500 IS L II + 1,4 TC
    Tripod

F 7,1 ; Iso 6400 ; 1/2000 sec

Processed with C1 and PSCC 2021 ; cropped to 75 % of FF ; removed the bird & feeder URC ; the perch can be discussed by some folks ... well I am more than ok with it , but for sure there are better perches on planet earth .

Thanks for looking and commenting to my previous postings .

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Andreas, excellent self-critique. Like you, I love the action pose. The perch? Not so much. Like you. Sharp!

I went for the gusto with a pano crop. In addition, I smoothed the background a bit, esp. upper right as things were looking a bit lumpy there.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

ps:I did my best with your credit line :)

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie , thanks for your comment and your RP .
    The crop that you made , well had something similar in my mind during the processing .... but went the traditional route . Personally I do not like to crop more than 30 - 40 % of FF . So your crop would be roughly around 50% of FF , albeit IQ might have held up in this case .
    Understand your view about the perch ... but for me the perch is not that important , in most cases . Just a different POV on my side .
    Second I am ok with the OP background , do not see a real benefit to smooth out some " cloudiness " or tonal variations . Matter of taste ....
    If the the BG would smooth by nature ... I would leave that way .

Thanks again , Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Neat pose on the siskin. Image quality looks good for the ISO. I like the framing.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Appreciate the action given that this is songbird, but I'm struggling with the thin plane of focus and skyward gaze. My feeling is that set-up shots have to be absolutely perfect to land, and I would have waited until
    I had better light, lower ISO, more DOF, and a faster shutter.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks John and Dorian for your comments much appreciated .

Dorian - well i have other expectations than you might have . Set-up shot or not , no aperture would have " saved " the DOF in this scenario . Due to the location in my garden i canīt get better light . I agree with you that a higher SS would have been slightly better in this case , but do not agree with your reservations about the ISO . I am not that afraid to push the ISO as most of you folks .
    To sum things up .... i have to take what nature and man made elements are giving me in my garden . So i rather take the shots ... instead of waiting for better light that does not come .
    And last but not least , my passion for hairy creatures is higher .... so i might end up with lower level of quality

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Artie , thanks for your comment and your RP .
    The crop that you made , well had something similar in my mind during the processing .... but went the traditional route . Personally I do not like to crop more than 30 - 40 % of FF . So your crop would be roughly around 50% of FF , albeit IQ might have held up in this case .
    Understand your view about the perch ... but for me the perch is not that important , in most cases . Just a different POV on my side .
    Second I am ok with the OP background , do not see a real benefit to smooth out some " cloudiness " or tonal variations . Matter of taste ....
    If the the BG would smooth by nature ... I would leave that way .

Thanks again , Andreas
    Hi Adreas, You are welcome. IQ seems to have held up nicely even with the JPEG. It would be great if we could simply ignore a poor perch or a distracting BKGR but that is not how it works for me. As you mentioned this:

there was the feeder in the URC with another Siskin sitting at it . I removed the bird and the feeder , as they have been a major distraction .

I assumed that I was smoothing out some clone stamp marks :)

with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well Artie ... it is ok that you are going for perfect perches . I stay my ground that I see it slightly different ....

Regarding your smoothing .... the whole background of the image has the “ cloudiness" in the OP . And no clone stamp was used on my side .... just used content aware fill . That said ... I am ok with the " cloudiness " I actually like it more .

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

All good, Andreas. Do know that Content Aware-fill often leaves edge marks.

with love, a