Thread: Ruddy Turnstone running along the surf

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Ruddy Turnstone running along the surf

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created at Fort DeSoto Park on September 26, 2016. I used the hand held Canon EF 400mm f/4 DO IS II USM lens with the Canon Extender EF 1.4X III (at 560mm) and my all-time favorite Canon body, the EOS 5D Mark IV.). ISO: 5000! Evaluative metering plus about 1 2/3rd stops: 1/25 sec. at f/6.3 in Manual mode was more than perfect. AWB at 7:09am on a very dark, cloudy morning.

I posted this image in the The Final Word on Exposing to the Right. Or not? Filling Added Canvas with the Rectangular Marquee Tool. Anything Bug You? And Just How Dark Was It? blog post here and asked what bugged me about the image? Nobody could figure it out despite lots of comments. So what bugs you about this image? You can learn a ton and see the original by visiting the blog.

As for the image, don't be shy -- all comments are welcome.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I read you blog and long with the other comments. I like the image but I would have gone for a pano composition taking come at the bottom ( eliminating the dark seaweed all together )

TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Krishna Prasad kotti View Post
    I read your blog and long with the other comments. I like the image but I would have gone for a pano composition taking off some (sic) at the bottom ( eliminating the dark seaweed all together )

TFS
    Different strokes. I love the seaweed and added more to the bottom :)

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That is a really fun blur, I can picture the legs' quick-stepping movements. I'm personally on the fence about the lower left corner (don't love it but don't hate it either). I do wish the head was a degree or two turned more our way...now, perhaps that is what bugs you as well or not, but we'll soon find out!

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Artie, love the blur, jury still out on the green seaweed added. I am trying to figure out your thoughts on adding it. I know you really like the color green but it pulls my attention away from the bird. You are the artist, so I am sure a really good reason. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Przybyla View Post
    Hey Artie, love the blur, jury still out on the green seaweed added. I am trying to figure out your thoughts on adding it. I know you really like the color green but it pulls my attention away from the bird. You are the artist, so I am sure a really good reason. Thank you for sharing.
    Thanks, Joe. For me the seaweed serves to balance the bird. I really do need to create a version with the seaweed lightened ...

with love, a

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    That is a really fun blur, I can picture the legs' quick-stepping movements. I'm personally on the fence about the lower left corner (don't love it but don't hate it either). I do wish the head was a degree or two turned more our way...now, perhaps that is what bugs you as well or not, but we'll soon find out!
    Hey Dan,

Some folks are smarter than others ...

artie -- capitán de la policía de ángulo hed

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Glad to be part of your HAP team, Captain.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

With e seaweed lightened by popular demand.

with love, artie