Thread: Brown Pelican in Peach Heaven

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Brown Pelican in Peach Heaven

Attached Images Attached Images

I created this image this morning with my favorite new combo, the hand held 70-200 f/2.8L IS II lens, the 2X II TC, and the EOS-1D Mark IV. Flash at zero. ISO 500. Evaluative metering +2 1/3 stops: 1/60 sec. at f/6.3 in Tv Mode (to control a minimum shutter speed).

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

ps: See more on the new gear here and here.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gorgeous peach bg and a nice dreamy feel to this really creatively done Artie.....:)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

bird at its best. superb image artie. creativity at its best :) cheers

Ákos Lumnitzer

Wonderful soft colors in the BG and lovely pose. Overall very special indeed. It reminds me of an image I saw of Andy Rouse's a few years back. Probably because that is the first I've ever seen with an "obscuring" OOF foreground element. It works wonderfully Artie. :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mitalpatel View Post
    bird at its best. superb image artie. creativity at its best :) cheers
    +1

Beautiful muted background color and transition from foreground to background and then the striking colors of the bird all work together really well.

cheers
    gavin

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I can only echo the comments above. Superbly done Artie!
    Your new combo is yielding stellar results.
    I love this image.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am going against the grain here Artie - I am not in love with this shot. The beautiful peach background and the parts of the pelican I can see look just fantastic -but- I find that out of focus foreground just too distracting. When I look at the photo my eyes are being drawn away from the bird to the fuzzy fringe of the o-o-f foreground. Perhaps if the point of view were moved up a bit so that the birds bill was completely visible and the out-of-focus softness started midway down the breast it wouldn't bother me as much. Just my $0.02.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is terrific , gotta love this
    TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default OOF forground

I have to go with Jeff, sorry Artie:cool:

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie,

I got to agree with Jeff too on the OOF foreground. IMO that pink background is great. Composition, exposure, flash every thing is working great other than OOF foreground.

-Sid

Forum Participant Manos Papadomanolakis's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful dreamy feel,composition,bg,eye contact!!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

In agreement with Sid, Loukie and Jeff here. I love everything above the oof foreground. Perhaps a thin darker frame would suit the image as it doesn't help that it is hard to tell where the oof foreground ends and the forum background starts. Although I think I remember you saying that you hate frames ;)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this, and I know you have purposely postioned yourself to create the OOF FG. Just love the pastel colours, and pose, and would be interested to know what the BG was. The more I look at this, the more impressive I find this. Congrats Sir.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, what was in the foreground? I wonder if the flash actually have gotten the FG OOF object brighter?

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, BG and head angle are superb here. Although I am liking the FG blur, I feel a tad crop from bottom might work better.

BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts

Absolutely beautiful. I like the oof foregrnd filling the lower 1/3, balancing the 2/3 of peach. To me, it's the perfect balance. My eye goes from the white oof area up the bird's bill to its eye. The bird emerging from a large part of the image (lower 1/3) makes it definitely ethereal. Very creative.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks all for your thoughtful comments. Yes Troy the flash did whiten the foreground. I have one that I kept where the flash did not fire and the FG is a dull grey. And I realize that light below breaks all of the rules but I am with Elinor here. I absolutely love this one as is :) Ethereal and surreal are nice words. I am not sure why it works for me....

If I have time to come up for air--getting ready to head to Bosque, just finishing the 7D User's Guide Update, and working and several other projects with Denise--I will optimize the one with the gray foreground.

BTW, the foreground is a rock :)
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

KD. Thanks. A small crop from the bottom would not kill me :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Birds as Art by Artie.. cool stuff guru..

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the pastels and the bird, but I don't understand the foreground, so leaves me confused.

Tim

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by timmunsey View Post
    Love the pastels and the bird, but I don't understand the foreground, so leaves me confused. Tim
    Some folks love it. Some do not. I am loving that. I also happen to love the image :)

I am not sure what you are confused about.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Here is a similar, un-flashed version that was obviously created from a higher vantage point.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I can see that there is great beauty in the pic, I guess the blur is a low mist?
    Wish we had pelicans, so sculptural.
    The second post is also stunning, just love the colour coordination of
    the bird with its surroundings.

Tim
    Last edited by Tim Munsey; 11-17-2010 at 07:40 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Tim. You are like me; you do not read all the comments :)

This from Pane #17 above: BTW, the foreground is a rock :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Here is a similar, un-flashed version that was obviously created from a higher vantage point.
    Arthie,

I actually like this one better. It shows more of the bird, just a matter of personal preference.

TFS.

Troy

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Different strokes. I like the first one 1000 times more because it is different but as you say, personal preference :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Different strokes. I like the first one 1000 times more because it is different but as you say, personal preference :)
    I like the flash on the subject for sure.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The different colors in the bg in this one are superb. I love this one too, but the first one is special.
    Fantastic work.
    At what focal length were these images made? (unless I missed that tidbit)
    Could you please share the techs for the second one?
    Thanks

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The first image is ART the second image is a photo :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

As you say, personal preferences, and I think mine is for the second. There are parts of both that I like, particularly both backgrounds. As I said earlier the intruding (over the beak) oof flashed foreground does not do it for me, but I do prefer the flash on the bird and the HA in the original.

It is nice to see some discussion like this. It is boring when everyone is in perfect agreement :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful Artie! I much prefer the first image! So Artie-istic! This image shows me that you know where to be and what to do at dawn!

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Arthur, my vote goes to the first image posted. I don't think the out-of-focus rock is as effective with more of the pelican showing. Maybe the first image has a touch of mystery to it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

[QUOTE=Arthur Morris;595516]Thanks Tim. You are like me; you do not read all the comments :)

Mmmm...

A small crop from bottom and bird a bit higher in the frame would make me dream! love it any how. The second image is not my favorite from you but I must accept that I have never made an image like this, you make us more demanding! ;)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie

I like them both however I would like the first better with an inch of the bottom and the second as it stands. In that form the first would win, but only slightly in my opinion.

DON