Thread: BearSalmon Blur

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default BearSalmon Blur

Attached Images Attached Images

The Bear Boat trip to Katmai was way fun. I did lots of OOTB stuff.

This coastal Brown Bear was photographed with the Canon 800mm f/5.5L IS lens and the EOS-1D MIV. ISO 200. Evaluative metering +1 stop: 1/4 sec. at f/20 in Tv Mode.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

ps: Great news; The Guide to Pleasing Blurs--Denise and I have been working on it for months--should be done by Friday.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

The bear with the fish just coming out of the water is a nice comp. I like the water spilling out of the mouth. I might boost the contrast just a touch if it were mine. Looks like you had a good trip:)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, I find the image somewhat confusing, I cannot understand why the water is moving almost horizontally on the rear and yet more or less vertically on the "front end". Perhaps it is me not having seen a bear in this situation but somehow it doesn't look "right" to me.:)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Artie, I find the image somewhat confusing, I cannot understand why the water is moving almost horizontally on the rear and yet more or less vertically on the "front end". Perhaps it is me not having seen a bear in this situation but somehow it doesn't look "right" to me.:)
    Hey Jon, I am confused by your comment :) I do not see the water moving horizontally at the rear at all.... They do run forward for a bit, dive under, hold the fish down, and then pull it out. Ah, what you are seeing might be the result of the current in the stream that is quite strong.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie now you have explained I can visualise the water flow, I can appreciate the water flow from the shoulders running backwards. I was perhaps reading too much into the image title and wondering if you had perhaps put some motion blur in the image.;)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Glad that that helped Jon. As you surmised, I was holding the rig still when I made the image.