Thread: White-necked Jacobin

Hany Aziz

Default White-necked Jacobin

First post here. This is from a birding trip to Costa Rica this January; I decided to stay an extra 3 days and add some bird photography.

Name:  White Necked Jacobin.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  143.1 KB

Technical details:
    Olympus 300 mm f2.8 lens with 1.4x TC
    Olympus E620
    1/180 sec at f5.6
    Flash with Better Beamer.
    No cropping or post-processing performed (other than resizing and colorspace change to sRGB for the web).

Critique, advice and feedback welcome.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Hany.
    Last edited by Hany Aziz; 09-01-2010 at 08:28 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hany, Glad you decided to post!! No image coming up:)

Hany Aziz

Funny. I am able to see the image here even when logged off from Zenfolio. Will try to edit original post and insert image directly from my HD. Are there forum guidelines for posted image size?

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Hany.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hany, Here are the Posting Guideline: Please submit only one image per post. Image size is to be no larger than 1024 pixels on the horizontal or 800 pixels on the vertical side. File size is not to exceed 200 kb.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hany, The image size you are attaching from Zenfolio is probably protected. Go to the access control panel > edit > image protection > check to make sure that size is allowed for downloading.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have no problem seeing the image on my computer. Not sure what's going on here. White-Necked Jacobin males are stunning hummers! I like the pose of this one, and your sharpness is quite good. Your whites look a little gray as presented; you might trying pushing your exposure a little further to the right. From a composition standpoint, I find the bird a little too centered in the frame; I would crop from the top and left. I would also consider removing the OOF branch behind the bird (moving slightly to your left when you took the photo may have helped), and also the plant parts on the right edge of the frame. Congrats on your first image post on Avian!
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Hany Aziz

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Brown View Post
    I have no problem seeing the image on my computer. Not sure what's going on here. White-Necked Jacobin males are stunning hummers! I like the pose of this one, and your sharpness is quite good. Your whites look a little gray as presented; you might trying pushing your exposure a little further to the right. From a composition standpoint, I find the bird a little too centered in the frame; I would crop from the top and left. I would also consider removing the OOF branch behind the bird (moving slightly to your left when you took the photo may have helped), and also the plant parts on the right edge of the frame. Congrats on your first image post on Avian!
    Thanks. I did edit the post and the image is now a direct upload to BPN rather than a link pointing to a private gallery on Zenfolio. I initially got fooled since I could still see the images on my machine even after logging off zenfolio and reloading this thread.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hany, Your image is up now. Big welcome to Avian. I agree w/ Doug regarding the composition. It seems a bit centered in the frame. I also like his suggestion to bring the exposure up just a little. Very nice sharp details and a lovely pose.:)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome Hany !! Like the feather detail and definition. Agree with Doug Brown on cloning and also feel the bird is a little central. What a brilliant bird !!
    Thanks for showing
    Best regards
    Rod Warnock

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Hany, Hany joined us for part of the JBWR/Nickerson Beach IPT. All good suggestions above. In helping out here, I learned a wonderful new trick. I tried to lighten the dark blue head using curves and yuckied it up badly.... So I went to Selective Color and took away 60 points of BLACK from the BLUES. Whoohoo! Then I used a new technique that Denise taught me, "Painting on the Effect" to further lighten the BLUEs without lightening the entire image. Plus the suggested crop.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Let's see if I have this animated GIF stuff down pat....

BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.