Thread: Black Phoebe

Larry Kaufman

Default Black Phoebe

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1dMarkIII, 600mm (300 f/2.8 + 2xTC), Manual Exposure: Ambient using L358. ISO 400, f/8, 1/1600th (sunny 16) handheld, IS mode 1. Processing via Lightroom with convert to web via PS CS3. A "grab capture" 1 month ago at Huntington Central Park rather late in the morning at 10:43AM.

The composition presented results from a crop on the top and left to uncenter the subject, trimming what is a continuation of the background presented. I am sure there is also a vertical composition within the capture as well, although it would make the Phoebe much tighter in the frame. There also is no additional canvas on the bottom, although it would be easy to add. The dark background element is a tree with shrub near the bottom and I happen to like it's inclusion as I find perfectly smooth backgrounds a bit boring.

Thanks for looking and comments appreciated.

Regards,
    Larry

ps: I appreciate the embedded IE spell check feature!

Fabs Forns

Hi Larry,

This is beautiful as presented, even the little knot under the twig on the left adds to the composition,

I wouldn't change a thing!

Axel Hildebrandt

Very nice details and exposure control. The light looks a bit harsh. I might consider raising the color temperature a little bit.

Jody Melanson

Very nice image Larry, I like the comp as presented. My only nits would be to run some NR on the BG and try to tone down the perch. I also Saturated the BG just a smidgen.

I hope you guys don't mind me modifying your photos to illustrate my points.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Larry
    This is a nice Black Phoebe. I like the simplicity. I know some will say "Bird on a Stick" but I've never turned one down yet. The colors are good and what Jody did seems pretty simple.....but made a difference.

Larry Kaufman

No problem reposting my captures Jody. Thanks for the feedback. I like the concept and effect of burning in the perch, but think the more saturated BG is leaning toward the un-natural side. It does look good on the Web though.

Larry

Threads
    Thank You Posts

One of my favorite birds and well captured Larry I like the bg and the excellent details.

JH Tugs

Jody's toned down branch is very effective, and while I wasn't personally worried about the BG, the deeper blacks in the modified version (and hence apparent improved contrast) really sharpen it up for my eyes. Either way it's a lovely shot of the Phoebe.