Thread: BIrd photography hot spots

Ákos Lumnitzer

Default BIrd photography hot spots

Thought I'd get the ball rolling.

Can you guys recommend any great spots for bird photography? I haven't really been out of the Sydney (Penrith/Windsor/Richmond) area much, but there is a whole lot of birdlife out our way. I would, for example, love to find areas where herons and big birds congregate to breed and stuff.

:)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ákos,
    The Hunter Wetlands center in Shortland is worth visiting as it is breeding site for 4 egret species. Have a look at their web site for more information. http://www.wetlands.org.au. Also Ash Island which is close is always worth a visit.

Wayne Ellis

Akos I joined the Hunter Bird Observers Club when I was researching the Bird Trails project for the Upper Hunter. They have several brochures on birding sites.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Akos,
    Not very far from where you live, the Capertee Valley is a wonderful spot for birding.
    http://www.bmbirding.com.au/valley.html

Ákos Lumnitzer

Quote Originally Posted by Thonnaksar NOP View Post
    Hi Akos,
    Not very far from where you live, the Capertee Valley is a wonderful spot for birding.
    http://www.bmbirding.com.au/valley.html

HEy, do you think I live in whoop-whoop? It's still agood two, two and a half hours' drive from me. :D

Whayne Padden

Hi guys, I'm in Sydney, and have also visited the Hunter wetlands and it's a very nice spot with a great diversity of birds and great for dragon/damsel flies if your into macro too. Also not far away is the Stockton sand spit by the Stockton bridge.

South of Sydney, I can highly recommend Lake Conjola 20 minutes north of Ulludulla. It's a superb tidal lake that's gets good numbers of waders, like godwits, sandpiper, oyster catchers, herons to name a few. Low tide is best as you can walk out over the extensive sand flats.

I've also heard there's a good spot near Shellharbour not far south of Wollongong.

Ákos Lumnitzer

Quote Originally Posted by Whayne Padden View Post
    Hi guys, I'm in Sydney, and have also visited the Hunter wetlands and it's a very nice spot with a great diversity of birds and great for dragon/damsel flies if your into macro too. Also not far away is the Stockton sand spit by the Stockton bridge.

South of Sydney, I can highly recommend Lake Conjola 20 minutes north of Ulludulla. It's a superb tidal lake that's gets good numbers of waders, like godwits, sandpiper, oyster catchers, herons to name a few. Low tide is best as you can walk out over the extensive sand flats.

I've also heard there's a good spot near Shellharbour not far south of Wollongong.
    Hi Whayne

I love waders, can never see enough ina lifetime. :)
    Drop in and visit us at Australasia forums. We are a dedicated bunch, close to home!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Folks,
    In season Pelican Point and Soldier's Point on the Central Coast of NSW, are worth a visit for the Waders (I have photographed: Red-necked Stint, Sooty Oystercatcher, Double-banded Plover, Red-capped Dotterell, Ruddy Turnstone, Whimbrel, Pacific Golden Plover, Grey-tailed Tattler, Sanderling, Curlew Sandpiper, Crested and Little Terns). It needs to be a couple of hours either side of low tide to gain access to the rock shelf at Soldiers Point.

Gerard

Lance Peters

Hi Guys - havent been here yet - but off to visit this weekend, The Western Water Treatment Plant in Weribee, Melbourne. Victoria. (www.melbournewater.com.au)

I have just recieved my permit and access key, supposedly the second best spot in australia with 370 species.

Ill let you know what its like.

Lance