Thread: images from 7D to IPad?

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Default images from 7D to IPad?

Is there a way to download my RAW images to the IPAD then transfer them RAW to external portable HD? There is an APple adapter for camera connection for CF, it says something about the images going into a DCIM folder? Please advise. Thanks

Threads
    Thank You Posts

hi Ann,
    I used my iPad while in Africa to store images.
    i used the apple connector with USB cord direct from camera and plugged connector into iPad.
    I used the app Photosmith which syncs with LR.
    The app allows you to catalogue and zoom into raw image at 100 %

I then downloaded to home computer and from there to external hard drive.
    I am not aware of a way to connect iPad to external hard drive but I am pretty sure it can be done with Photosmith app,
    Gail

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks Gail. I am in the aftermath free fall of a burglary, all my camera gear, screens, well lets say all the electronics... So, I have a shoot coming up and I think I will keep my life a little simpler by using all memory cards and then connect later to a home computer.
    DO you have the 64 GB? the app Photosmith syncs w LR? So is LR on the IPad? I'm in overload everything at this point. THanks for your help.

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ann,
    Check http://www.photosmithapp.com/
    There is an implication of "satellite" USB drive support, but a seagate drive is disabled at the moment.

This is an interesting topic to me as a tablet device could be a light way to travel in the future if I could get my images to multiple usb drives for backup/

My wife has the new ipad with 64G and it looks great.

Best of luck recovering from your loss. I hope you had an off-site backup of your images.

Roger

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I just use the apple card reader which connects into the IPad. If you have a Mac at home, you can use the iCloud and load them to your computer at home from anywhere.
    Dan Kearl

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dankearl View Post
    I just use the apple card reader which connects into the IPad. If you have a Mac at home, you can use the iCloud and load them to your computer at home from anywhere.
    From the middle of the Serengeti (no wifi, spotty cell service, spottier/no data service)?

From the deep backcountry of the Colorado Rockies (no cell service in many locations, and no wifi)?

And if one does get cell phone service from international locations, data charges can run $20 per megabyte.

And even in the US, how long would it take to download a 32 GByte card that is full? What would data charges be?

Roger

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Thank you all for your input. sounds like you have success with this Dan. Data service is another fish to fry but do-able... Sure I'll just rely on all the memory cards if I am faced with extravagant data service. Dan, Would you please let me know step by step so I can order and use this in a matter of days... I'm slow on the learning curve and replacements and new things are terrific if I had more time and a clearer brain! Home burglary turns your life upside down... I have to decide wifi only or 3G, then what size. What size do you recommend if I am using this most importantly for data transfer in the field? If I have a 16 GByte card, then a 32 IPad, and 32GByte card should the ipad be 64 GByte? Are you using the Apple card reader specifically the CF/ camera connection?CF Card Reader CF1 CF II Connection Kit For APPLE The New iPad 3rd? Which one exactly do I get, I just need this to all work before I go on my trip... Then what do you do? Do you use photosmith app? Or is there just a simple way for me right now to get the images on IPad 3 and over to ICLoud waiting for me when I get to my IMAc? Thank you all for your help. ann

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Another question, does anyone know if I could get my images onto the IPad then connect portable HD and transfer? yikes...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ann, just google iCloud, it will Give you all the info and guide you through the setup.

Roger, that was a pretty churlish response. Obviously you can't use the cloud if you don't have a wifi connection.
    Most all hotels, motels, coffee shops, etc. in the US and Europe have it (I don 't know about Africa).
    It can be useful in most ordinary situations and that was what I was referring to and I thought that was obvious.
    I don't personally shoot 32 gb a day, I can load 100 raw images to my iPad in about a minute or two.
    I can't take more than about 10 images in a full day that are worth keeping, let alone worrying about loading them.
    Last edited by dankearl; 06-10-2012 at 10:57 PM.
    Dan Kearl

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dankearl View Post
    Ann, just google iCloud, it will Give you all the info and guide you through the setup.

Roger, that was a pretty churlish response. Obviously you can't use the cloud if you don't have a wifi connection.
    Most all hotels, motels, coffee shops, etc. in the US and Europe have it (I don 't know about Africa).
    It can be useful in most ordinary situations and that was what I was referring to and I thought that was obvious.
    I don't personally shoot 32 gb a day, I can load 100 raw images to my iPad in about a minute or two.
    I can't take more than about 10 images in a full day that are worth keeping, let alone worrying about loading them.
    Sorry Dan,
    I was being cynical. The "cloud" is a quite a buzzword these days, but (cynicism really on strong) but it looks like just a cash cow for those who purport this great new resource. They want to milk the users for every penny they can get. The data charges are outrageous. Perhaps they lure you in with a little free space, but to get real space the rates go through the roof. The ipad 3G rates are $30 /month for 3 GBytes (or something like that). How fast will one go through 3 GBytes? In Europe, US smartphones are charged $20 /megabyte!!! Visit BPN and look at 2 or 3 images and it costs you $20! Hotels in Europe often charge $20/day for internet access. Cloud storage sounds good, but check, for example, Amazon's charges (which are clear unlike some others): $120/yr for 1 TByte, no cost to upload, but a cost to download at about $120/TByte). If you are examining images, it can be pretty quick to go through hundreds of gigabytes. It is much much cheaper to store locally. (cynicism off).

Ann, my wife decided against the 3G model after seeing the data charges. She got a wifi only, 64Gbyte model. That seems the lowest operational cost and max local storage.

Roger

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm on the same situation. I bought the New Ipad 64GB and I'd like not to bring a laptop to backup files to an external HD when on travel.

For those with cameras that use SDHC cards, you can go with Apple Camera Connection kit.

For us with Compact Flash cards your suggested CF reader should suffice if it works (only testing you will know). I don't know if it will be reliable along the way.

Another (expensive) option would be to buy the Canon's wifi grip but it is over $600.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ansmitter.html
    Look for a review "By skirschfrom Los Altos Hills, CA".

Then you would have to copy (backup) the files. You can use icloud, dropbox, if you have a free wifi access (and enought time).

To copy to an external portable HD, there are wireless HD nowadays. The only 2 I know of:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...s_Storage.html
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Wireless.html

That's all in theory. As I just got my ipad 3 days ago, I haven't tested anything. It would be great if anyone could test those products and confirm what works.

My 0.02.

The we would copy the

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I use hotspots from my cell for my iPad3 and therefore don't have to pay the extra $30 a month for the iPad data plan.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook