Thread: Svalbard Ptarmigan

Jasper Doest

Default Svalbard Ptarmigan

Attached Images Attached Images

Pfew, we're certainly started nicely. I've been away from the computer for a couple of days and it sure is nice to see so many great images being posted in such a short time. Keep up the good work!
    What I noticed is that most people tend to record their subject quite large in frame. Especially when you are able to get reasonably close to a subject I find it nice to use a slightly wider angle to show some of the stunning environments this world has to offer. Down here in Holland it is pretty hard doing this without showing houses, fences, telegraph poles, ect ect...but in an area where the environment is also overwhelmingly beautiful it might be nice to show that as well in you wildlife photographs.

Anyway...here's an example. Photographed in the high arctic of Svalbard. I was able to get really close to this Ptarmigan and after getting some frame filling images I wanted to create an image that shows its environment as well. Perhaps a bit too wide for some of you and perhaps this only works well in large print (when you can see the catchlight and such)...but I thought I might do this post to see if you like this style.

Canon EOS1Dmk2N
    Canon EF70-200/2.8L IS USM @ 70mm
    1/250 @ f/22
    ISO250, RAW
    Handheld, anglefinder

Axel Hildebrandt

I like this a lot, Jasper. What a great opportunity. If anything I would crop a few mm off the blue sky.

David Hemmings

Hi Jasper, you have an eye for beautiful scenes and this one is no exception:cool:

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful unique image. I'm trying to picture it with a little more foreground? What a fabulous scene you have captured

Larry Kaufman

An excellent environmental capture Jasper. I am curios as to the use of f/22 on your 70-200 as I have the same lens and have seen diminishing returns going beyond f/16.

Regards,
    Larry

Fabs Forns

Splendid habitat, Jasper, will need to visit sometime :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This really works for me Jasper. Its always nice to see a slightly different perspective :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful capture of thePtarmigan and its habitat, Jasper!
    Like this image very much.

Nikolay Staykov - shotlandetsa

it must be a great experience! Original and intriguing composition.