Thread: Pied Kingfisher

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Pied Kingfisher

Attached Images Attached Images

I went to Egypt and my aim was to get pleasing images from the pied kingfisher I saw there two years ago, when I startet photographing. By that time I couldn't get any sharp and clear image of this lovely bird. Now there was one day, when I got up at 5.30, the pied kingfisher was really cooperating, sitting in the warm morning sun, as if he was waiting for me for these two years.
    I felt so glad and happy and when I look at my pictures, I always feel that special feeling again... I'm sure, you guys know what I mean, right? That's why we do it!!! :D

Mark III, 100-400 + 1.7 TC
    f 8 / 1/640 sec. / ISO 640 nearly no cropping

Josh O'Donnell

Wow, lucky you! It's always a great feeling when you set out to accomplish a goal and actually get it done, so congrats on that. I have never seen a photo of this species of KF, it's very beautiful! The exposure is very nice, especially with the black and white mottle appearance of this bird. My only nit is that I wish the bird were on a different perch but hey, you take what you can get! I find the diagonal line of the wall to be somewhat distracting.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rosl
    A remarkably sharp image with using the 100-400mm and the 1.4TC. The bird has wonderful detail and stands out against the neutral "perch" and BG. Kingfishers are my biggest nemesis bird so I'm always pleased with any KF image. I can most definitely appreciate the desire, the wait.....and the image when it's all over......and then comes that feeling of satisfaction.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rosl,

Sounds like a wonderful experience. I like the bird, perch, bg, lighting, and pose. This is a lovely image. I wouldn't change a thing.
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you for taking the time to look at and comment my image.
    @ Josh: as the bird was very cooperating, I have nice pictures of the bird perching on natural ground; I will show one of that in the natural forum in the next days.
    @ Lana: actually the picture is not taken withe the 1.4 TC, but with the 1.7 TC from "Soligor". I get much better pictures with that one than with the 1.4 original from Canon. When using the 1.4 from Canon with the 100-400 only the central AF point works, and that is not always the one I like to use ;-) So I am happy, that it is able to get sharp images with the 1.7!
    @ Jim: thank you, I am sure you know that feeling...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rosl Roessner View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to look at and comment my image.
    @ Josh: as the bird was very cooperating, I have nice pictures of the bird perching on natural ground; I will show one of that in the natural forum in the next days.
    @ Lana: actually the picture is not taken withe the 1.4 TC, but with the 1.7 TC from "Soligor". I get much better pictures with that one than with the 1.4 original from Canon. When using the 1.4 from Canon with the 100-400 only the central AF point works, and that is not always the one I like to use ;-) So I am happy, that it is able to get sharp images with the 1.7!
    @ Jim: thank you, I am sure you know that feeling...
    I didn't realize anyone made a 1.7x extender for Canon. Please tell me more about it. Does it make sharp high quality images? Have you compared it's quality to the Canon 1.4x or 2x extenders? How many stops of light do you lose when you use it? Does the 1D3 recognize it and report aperture correctly? I may need to get one of these. Where did you buy it? TIA

Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jim,
    I use that Teleconverter very much, because I have not the money to buy a really big lens (but I hope, one day I will...) The picture of the kingfisher is not sharpened; I did only very little sharpening at the eye. I am quite satisfied with the quality, as far as there is enough light, of course.
    The Mark III does not recognize it and you can choose any AF Point. I am not sure how much light you actually loose, I have to figure it out for you.
    I also bought the 1.4 and 2.0 Extender from Canon, but the quality (with the 100-400 lens of course) with 2.0 Externder is much worse, and I did not like the problem with the limitation to the centered AF point, when I use the lens with converter. (When usig the 2.0, there is no AF working at all) I know, I can fix the Problem with a kind of tape, but I didn't do it right now, because I am alright with the 1.7 TC. I prefer the 1.7 to the 1.4 because the sharpnes is ok and I have more mm.... Problem is only that we have that bad light in Germanys winter....

The Converter is made by a company called "Soligor". I can help you, to get one, if you want. It has a nice, slim shape ( thinner than the 1.4 TC) and is not expensive.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rosl
    The Soligor TC is interesting. When I first saw your post I thought the the 1.7TC was a typo. You really got a sharp image....especially with only sharpening around the eye. I just may have to check it out....I like the idea of a 1.7XTC. Thanks for pointing it out.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rosl Roessner View Post
    Hi Jim,
    I use that Teleconverter very much, because I have not the money to buy a really big lens (but I hope, one day I will...) The picture of the kingfisher is not sharpened; I did only very little sharpening at the eye. I am quite satisfied with the quality, as far as there is enough light, of course.
    The Mark III does not recognize it and you can choose any AF Point. I am not sure how much light you actually loose, I have to figure it out for you.
    I also bought the 1.4 and 2.0 Extender from Canon, but the quality (with the 100-400 lens of course) with 2.0 Externder is much worse, and I did not like the problem with the limitation to the centered AF point, when I use the lens with converter. (When usig the 2.0, there is no AF working at all) I know, I can fix the Problem with a kind of tape, but I didn't do it right now, because I am alright with the 1.7 TC. I prefer the 1.7 to the 1.4 because the sharpnes is ok and I have more mm.... Problem is only that we have that bad light in Germanys winter....

The Converter is made by a company called "Soligor". I can help you, to get one, if you want. It has a nice, slim shape ( thinner than the 1.4 TC) and is not expensive.
    It sounds very interesting. Do you know where I can buy one and/or find more info? Thanks for your help.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jim,
    here is the adress in the internet:
    https://secure.soligor.com/index.php...7&swords=43745

If you have problems, ordering from the states, I can help you.