Thread: Notebook and SSD

Hybrid View

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Notebook and SSD

For those who are familiar with SSDs:

I have to reinstall windows 7 on my notebook and I'm considering partitioning the SSD in 2, one for the system and the other for the temporary files (browser cache, most applications cache, etc). I just use this notebook when travelling and just to copy files from my CF to an external HD. And some internet surfing.

I used to put all my temp files in a SD card but I'm thinking on using them in a partition of the SSD to obtain better performance. With all the technical aspects of SSD (number of writes, TRIM, etc) do you think is the way to go ?

Thank you.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Have you used this notebook for a while? I've got a Lenovo laptop with SSD, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit and it's blazing fast with no partitioning. DxO does RAW conversion and correction of 30MB RAW files in 4 or 5-sec. per file, so I don't feel any need to partition. The RAM and enabling Open CL on my imaging software, makes the processing fast. The SSD makes start up and loading programs fast. Moving between surfing, Office and imaging software is fast with my SSD, so I wonder if you'll really gain anything noticeable from partitioning.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the reply.
    I don't intend to do any editing with this laptop. When travelling, maybe I'll import the pictures to the Lightroom catalog and do some keywording if I have the time. That's all. The reason to partitioning it is that as the way a SSD works, whenever the "TEMP" partition gets full, I can run a full wipe and restore the SSD performance to the best scenario. Nowadays I have a 16GB SD card in the built-in SD card reader slot and it works as my "partition" for cache,temporary files, this kind of stuff.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Is there a problem? I don't understand why you're worrying about this. You're hardly straining the computer and I doubt that partitioning will speed up anything noticeably. Yes, you can do it and it won't harm anything, but why?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

My Toshiba is identical to David's and I have never seen need for a partition.

You might be better advised on a laptop forum, but I suspect the answer will be the same.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I forgot about this thread. I went for 2 partitions (system and temp files). Not really necessary but not too much work since I was reinstalling win7. When I backup my system drive, no temp files included. Faster backup time and smaller backup file. Probably not significant, but being technical I can't avoid the (supposed) optimization. :)

Thank you for the comments.